Honda Civic

Wife had a 2000 civic when we got married that I eventually drove for a year, and we had no issues at all with it. Had a 2013 Civic as well that was a great car, eventually traded it in for an Accord when we had our 2nd kid.

I know an Accord driver who seems to have gotten two lemons in a row. I've been in both cars and seen for myself all the electrical stuff going wrong in relatively new, first owner vehicles. Seems like he's had a lot of difficulty getting these issues resolved and a few he just seems to have decided to live with, like power locks that don't work on all the doors. I don't know how common that is but I'd do more homework than to just rely on Honda's historical reputation as a car that you can drive forever.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
I know an Accord driver who seems to have gotten two lemons in a row. I've been in both cars and seen for myself all the electrical stuff going wrong in relatively new, first owner vehicles. Seems like he's had a lot of difficulty getting these issues resolved and a few he just seems to have decided to live with, like power locks that don't work on all the doors. I don't know how common that is but I'd do more homework than to just rely on Honda's historical reputation as a car that you can drive forever.
Crazy. That certainly seems to be an outlier.

When my dad travelled with his job, he would get a new one about every 2 years. These usually were passed on to my mom, my brothers, or me. He's now on roughly #14 and 15. To my knowledge, none have ever given him an issue. Several went to 200k miles, were sold or traded, etc.

I had a Type R recently and it was a good car.........there are a few cheaper things that you would expect in that price range.......road noise, interior rattles ect.

Personally, I’d rather have a low mileage 2012 than a new model. The auto manufacturers have been pushing the technology envelope farther and farther in an attempt to one up the competition and there’s simply more things that can go wrong now. JMO

The 4 cylinder Honda put in the 2008 Accords were bad. Honda had to replace the engine in my wifes car at about 80-90k miles, it was using about 2 qrts of oil every 1000 miles.

Are they great cars....YES.....but I usually don't buy them (I only buy used and pay cash).....I'll explain....

Their reputation of reliability is overrated to the point that people neglect maintenance and it HIGHLY overinflates their resale value.
Example...
$3,000 = Honda probably needs a timing belt, doesn't idle right (IAC valve), CV joins are toast and the transmission is slipping.
$3,000 = Buick is usually low mile, Grandma fresh, dealer serviced, with a set of good Michelin tires.

I've owned several Honda's and two were on my list of some of the best cars I've ever owned (I've owned hundreds) and several are on the list of worst cars I've ever owned because of abuse and a lack of maintenance.

Always ask for proof of when the timing belt was last changed!

Have had 2 Civics, 1 Fit and 1 CRV.
Never had any problems with any Honda’s.

Fit is what I have now, love it.

Reactions: Vjcvette
Have had 2 Civics, 1 Fit and 1 CRV.
Never had any problems with any Honda’s.

Fit is what I have now, love it.

I see you like to live dangerously - I want some bulk between me and all the crazy distracted drivers out on the roads myself

Nothing wrong with a Civic. Had an 86 CVCC and an 89 Si (zoom pod)

That said, I just picked up the last year of the Golf to be sold in the US with a 6 spd manual -- the original and still best hatchback econobox ever made.

Long live Fahrvergnugen

My 2002 five speed TDI is approaching 400k miles & still averages 50 mpg

Sir I must say you are spot on. I was guilty of neglecting maintenence on my Acura. Timing belt broke. Messed up the head. In total repairs were $2800.

I’ve been there too. That sucks. It didn’t cost me that much because I do most of my own work but it still hurts. Honda guys always get defensive when I give that answer but I’m just being honest.

I’ve owned more cars than I can remember and I pretty much just buy domestics now days. I love GM trucks/SUV’s. I stay WAY away from anything European. Parts and repairs are WAY too specialized and expensive.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Good reliable car? Looking to maybe buy one this weekend
Hey I leased a Honda Civic in 2015 for 3 years and it was a great car and then I bought this one in 2018 and it is great, only change
the oil every 7500 and I just do the recommended service that pops up on the dash and getting ready to do the 30,000 mile
service, but it has been a great car!
2018 Honda Civic.jpg

Last edited:
Good reliable car? Looking to maybe buy one this weekend
Honda makes good cars in general. Every car company has some lemons/bad years. But you have a really good chance of getting a good vehicle with a lightly used Civic like that. Make sure you get a history report on the specific car and make sure it hasn't been through a flood or something.

I would do your research and make sure that year doesn't have any major red flags. I did quick google on the 2012 model and it was not a well loved year. But the issues people had with it were that the features that model offered were behind the curve. As far as actual mechanical problems went, complaints were pretty nit picky. But you should look into it harder as I took like 2 minutes to get an idea.

Buying a used car is all about doing the leg work and researching the specific car you think you might want to buy. But from a quick look at the 2012 Civic, it's well worth digging a little deeper on, as commuter car.

Last edited:
Change of plans on getting the Civic gonna probaly get a 2017 Kia Optima this weekend I don’t know much about Kia but I’ve seen where they are some of the most reliable cars around and they are good gas savers. Any other info you guys could provide would be helpful as well

VN Store

Back