Holly Says 1-7 Stetson is a "Good Team"

JohnWardForever

"They are a good team; I know they are 1-7 and missing two of their best Players, But they jumped on us early." REALLY HOLLY? You beat 1-7 Stetson by 10 after getting blown out in the first half? Great Job! You just aren't the one, Dear.

"They are a good team; I know they are 1-7 and missing two of their best Players, But they jumped on us early." REALLY HOLLY? You beat 1-7 Stetson by 10 after getting blown out in the first half? Great Job! You just aren't the one, Dear.

Didn't realize they were missing 2 of their best players. As Dick Enberg would say, "Oh my!"

I'm the farthest thing from a Holly defender, but what do you expect her to say... pull a Pruitt and say well the players suck I need to recruit? Don't think that'd go over well with our womens basketball program, just my opinion

I thought they played great defense knew just what our weaknesses were and really packed in the zone. Of course everybody knows our weakness, but they really played it well made us try difficult shots in the first half and some of the second. We finally used brute force inside to make them foul and get to the line.
They are not a great team but better than a lot of teams we've played this season.

Reactions: utvolkyle
We didn't play defense in the first half, we played defense in the 2nd half. Holly got on the players at half-time and we saw the difference with the team.
Stetson is a good shooting team when you don't play defense. 44% from 3 and 52% fg in the first half. That's pretty good shooting team when left open. The team was uninspired in the first half and they didn't come to play defense. I know CPS never had that happen to her and CPS never had to go into a locker room at half-time and let the players have it....:rolleyes:

The team thought they had the game won before tip-off and it showed. CPS would have called out players names in the post-game interview, Holly doesn't coach that way. Your post is asking Holly to call out players in the open. That's not how she coaches and she won't be doing that. She called out the players she needed to behind closed doors and she handles it that way. The team recovered this game after a coaching intervention at half-time. Kudos to the coaching staff for calling out the players and waking them up.

You're criticizing a coach because "she said something" ... How about you save your post for a time when the coaching staff doesn't do something which in turns leads to a loss for the team? And believe me, a time will come for that this year., Holly isn't gold in my eyes. But last night she did her job when she saw her team played awful.

We didn't play defense in the first half, we played defense in the 2nd half. Holly got on the players at half-time and we saw the difference with the team.
Stetson is a good shooting team when you don't play defense. 44% from 3 and 52% fg in the first half. That's pretty good shooting team when left open. The team was uninspired in the first half and they didn't come to play defense. I know CPS never had that happen to her and CPS never had to go into a locker room at half-time and let the players have it....:rolleyes:

The team thought they had the game won before tip-off and it showed. CPS would have called out players names in the post-game interview, Holly doesn't coach that way. Your post is asking Holly to call out players in the open. That's not how she coaches and she won't be doing that. She called out the players she needed to behind closed doors and she handles it that way. The team recovered this game after a coaching intervention at half-time. Kudos to the coaching staff for calling out the players and waking them up.

You're criticizing a coach because "she said something" ... How about you save your post for a time when the coaching staff doesn't do something which in turns leads to a loss for the team? And believe me, a time will come for that this year., Holly isn't gold in my eyes. But last night she did her job when she saw her team played awful.

Agreed, last night was the first time since she's been head coach I actually saw her rip into a couple players. I also saw her coaching some players about their defense as they came off the floor. It was absolutely ugly in the first half, but she did what a coach should do. What more can you ask? I'm also not a Holly lover, but I live in reality and the reality is that she is our coach for the foreseeable future.

At this point there are obviously fans who would rather see us lose than see Holly coach another game. Pretty sad honestly.
I thought it was just on the football side. A win is a win, even by ONE point. They do not give style points. I am sure they came out a little flat and thought they could win by showing up. That has happened throughout history. Once they got smacked in the face a bit, they came out and crushed them in the second half. That is how a good team is supposed to recover when they start out sleepwalking.

HOLLY IS NOT what the Lady VOLS need as a HC to be in the top of the land. She just isn't! Anybody with 2 unbiased eyeballs can see that. She's had plenty of time to prove what she can do at a school that supports lady basketball like few others. She'll keep UT in the top 10 - 15 but for a return of UT Lady Vol greatness on a continuous basis we need a better coach.

I thought it was just on the football side. A win is a win, even by ONE point. They do not give style points. I am sure they came out a little flat and thought they could win by showing up. That has happened throughout history. Once they got smacked in the face a bit, they came out and crushed them in the second half. That is how a good team is supposed to recover when they start out sleepwalking.

Precisely, anyone who ever actually played a sport understands this. My coaches used to say "it was a W and that's it" after a game like this, then we would run, and run, and run, and run the next day in practice. When you have a young team you'll have games like this, people forget they are KIDS.

Stetson also couldn't miss, they shoot 38% on the season and 32% from three, our defense and intensity were poor to start the game, but they were also playing far above how they have played so far this season. The percentages held true though, as they usually do; they shot 52% and 44% from 3 in the first half and 29% and 10% in the second half. Finished the game at 40% and 26%.

Games like this happened in the Pat Summit era as well. Some of her teams were notorious for slow starts, even against terrible teams. They would come roaring back with a big run to end the first half or start the second...just like last night.

Last edited:
At this point there are obviously fans who would rather see us lose than see Holly coach another game. Pretty sad honestly.

Unfortunately, they have been here for some time and yes, it is very very sad. But the bright side to all this is that team supporters will ultimately be blamed for all that is wrong. At least we have that to look forward to.

My My. All you apologizers. The Truth is that Tennessee should have beaten Stetson by 40. And that's not the Issue, the issue is there ARE some good teams on the schedule. Wonder how that will go? If the Players aren't ready to play, who Is that On? Somehow the Truth is the most Avoided thing these days.

Reactions: TN1111 and olddog

LOL, that's Hilarious. You can't see that performance doesn't project well for the upcoming SEC slate? I won't be "saving my post" for anytime other than whenever I feel the urge to voice my opinion; thank you very much. You make your point without calling me out----Now That is something for YOU to work on.

Reactions: olddog
..... I know CPS never had that happen to her and CPS never had to go into a locker room at half-time and let the players have it....:rolleyes:

Do you really want to compare coaching results between CHW with CPS?!? If CPS has to straighten her team out, she at least had history of championships to back up her actions. Celebrating the fact that at least the team didn’t lose is ridiculous when playing a team like Stetson minus two starters.

I'm the farthest thing from a Holly defender, but what do you expect her to say... pull a Pruitt and say well the players suck I need to recruit? Don't think that'd go over well with our womens basketball program, just my opinion
Pruitt told the the truth as for Holly the players are not the problem. The problem is Holly and Fulmer basically gave her permission to finish off what Pat built. People can defend her all they want. Holly has no business being the HC.

HOLLY IS NOT what the Lady VOLS need as a HC to be in the top of the land. She just isn't! Anybody with 2 unbiased eyeballs can see that. She's had plenty of time to prove what she can do at a school that supports lady basketball like few others. She'll keep UT in the top 10 - 15 but for a return of UT Lady Vol greatness on a continuous basis we need a better coach.

Some coaches can recruit. Some coaches can coach. Very few can do BOTH at the highest level. Holly has been given the opportunity, but has whiffed. Sometimes, for whatever reasons, coaches just cannot transfer their knowledge of the game to their students. The ones that can are rare, but several exist. The Lay Vols will keep getting mediocre results from talented teams until someone, the decision makers, decide they want to be elite again. Then, if they really do, decisions will be made to do just that.

Reactions: TN1111 and flint

VN Store

Back