Holly responds to Geno...

The player he called out was Andra Espinoza Hunter, who has been praised by Vic Schaefer for her work ethic and overall character.

Geno is a crybaby who will finally get called out for his bull$hit once UConn is no longer THE program. Can't happen soon enough for me!

Thank you @Amb3096 - couldn’t remember her name to save my life - CRS! 😂

I’m with you on Geno finally getting called out for his BS. Looking at him makes my skin crawl!

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I wish Holly would just stay quiet. Fulmer and Kelly sounded strong and classy, Holly sounds weak, especially with her use of “not fair”. That was one of her problems as a coach, she always sounded weak and unsure. I respect her as a VFL and am truly amazed at her support of the Lady Vols even after being fired, but this is all in the past. The environment she help create is in the past. Whether it was his original attention or not, Geno is now using this as a recruiting tool. At one point he used homophobia as a recruiting tool against the Lady Vols, telling parents the program was full of lesbians who would prey on their daughters. That was in conversations with parents of select recruits, not broadcast on the news for every player to hear. IMHO the best we can do is move on, stay above it, and beat their a@* come January.
Lesbians? Some of his best players are Lesbians. Sue Bird & Diana Taurasi. Geno is wrong & a living breathing hateful hypocrite just to say that about Tennessee or any other program.
And Holly just confirmed why she was fired.

Reactions: WeAreTheRealUT.
Hey I said the recruiting thing earlier 😩 JK😃. But seriously it’s like if he can keep us down he will.

As I said on another post his player left UConn because uhm ... it wasn’t good fit and of the environment and she got immediate eligibility to play for Miss St. If his program is such a haven why was that the case 🤔 his transfer out got the waiver but his transfer in didn’t. I guess the NCAA knew a little more something than the rest.

His comments about her at a uconn rally/meeting were video taped and, when they were seen, are believed to be the reason she was granted an immediate waiver. Might say the atmosphere at ucon was “toxic” to her. @T_Vol376 👍

“Espinoza-Hunter played seven games for the Huskies a season ago before leaving the school after the fall semester. While speculation surrounding her departure from the school swirled, a video of UConn head coach Geno Auriemma speaking to a group of donors emerged and ultimately played a big part in her waiver passing.
WBB: Talking yesterday about his freshman class, UConn coach Geno Auriemma with some blunt comments on why Andra Espinoza-Hunter is transferring (starts ~11:00 mark of video) https://youtu.be/fsrHXkz5cOc?t=11m …
Under normal circumstances, a player has to sit out two semesters once they have enrolled at a new school. Espinoza-Hunter enrolled at Mississippi State this summer, meaning that without the waiver, she would not have been eligible until the 2019-20 season. With the comments made by Auriemma that seem to suggest that Espinoza-Hunter was asked to leave, the door opened up for her to be granted immediate eligibility.”​
So, I guess he could claim he helped her achieve her immediate eligibility. Right, @T_Vol376 ? Just don’t want to say ‘how’ he “helped” if a ucon/gino lover.😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣😂🤣🤣

Last edited:
Lesbians? Some of his best players are Lesbians. Sue Bird & Diana Taurasi. Geno is wrong & a living breathing hateful hypocrite just to say that about Tennessee or any other program.
And Holly just confirmed why she was fired.
No fan of Geno, but this is one I have a hard time believing. It's not like it's a secret that there are a lot of lesbians who play basketball. How stupid must he be to potentially alienate his players and recruits who are lesbians by warning them about *gasp* the lesbians at Tennessee!

Reactions: T.J.
No fan of Geno, but this is one I have a hard time believing. It's not like it's a secret that there are a lot of lesbians who play basketball. How stupid must he be to potentially alienate his players and recruits who are lesbians by warning them about *gasp* the lesbians at Tennessee!
I'm guessing Geno is trying to get interest back to the rivalry. If so, here's hoping coach Harper will have the team ready to beat UConn.
GoLadyVols!

Nobody
I think he’s starting to feel pressure of not being the “It” program anymore and he’s trying to spin it in the media that his program is the victim in this situation. This is the longest he’s gone between championships since his titles in 2004 and 2009. He’s been left out of the championship game all together the past 3 years. Honestly I don’t see them advancing past the Elite 8 this year and he probably feels the same way and feels like his stranglehold on the sport is slipping away.
Nobody stays on top forever. Tenn has its
hardships with sports and is rebuilding.
UCONN will also. Geno's days are numbered

Geno is just playing his game, like any good coach would
Yes, he's being a bit of a punk, but he is fighting for Evina, as any coach would

Phil and UT are 100% right to stay hands off,,,don't help, don't hinder
UT didn't ask Evina to leave, she left
Her decision is not our problem

The NCAA made a choice
Their decision is not our problem

Stand up and quit yer Cryin Coach"G",,,,Play the players you recruited and wait next year for the one WE recruited
We didn't hinder and we shouldn't help...in fact, ,,,,unless he tries to recruit our ex-coach,
I don;t think UT would stand in his way on that acquisition either
I don't know about UT, but, I might help him on that one though
Fighting for? What the crap does that even mean? he applied for a waiver, it was denied, he applied for a reconsideration--it was denied...so, he attacks the university she left?? Like I said, he's a punk. I used to hate him. Then, the last couple of years I thought, "maybe he isn't too bad". Now, I'm back to hating him more than ever. Punk.

I have a different view of him on this. While I am 99.99% sure he isn’t “threatened” by a program that hasn’t been to the Final Four since 2008 and barely even made the tournament field at all last season, I’m comfortable with suggesting that he’s likely deeply resentful of the amount of attention Tennessee still receives.

It must chap his rear that Tennessee, despite the fact that the program’s reputation as a regular contender for championships was in decline even before Pat’s terminal brain disease was diagnosed, STILL gets more overall positive attention than his program.

No matter how many championships he wins, no matter how many wins, no matter how many positive things of any kind come out of Storrs, there’s STILL more mentions of a DEAD Pat Summitt and the Tennessee Lady Vols in national media than there are of Auriemma and his Huskies.

Can you imagine how crazy that must make him? Geno Auriemma is the Jan Brady of women’s college basketball. But instead of, “It’s always ‘Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!!,” his brain is on repeat with “It’s always Pat, Pat, Tennessee!!”

He’s not the least bit “threatened.” His record will best Pat’s in every category by the time he’s through. But he IS so jealous of Pat’s legacy, and so petty and vindictive of a little man that he absolutely could not pass up an opportunity to taint Tennessee’s reputation in hopes that it might make the voices in his head stop.

Just sayin’. That man is seriously unhinged.
I hate his guts.

Geno has really ballooned up! It seems to have effected his practice and teaching. He hasn't developed any talent to be game changers in a while, and Dangerfield hasn't improved, and none of last 2 classes look All American first round. Davis is better than anyone on his current team. He says Westbrook has lots of rehab and strength conditioning to do, so why is he trying to get her on court? isn't it the general thought, he claims we made her play hurt? He probably claims harassing post, on line messages, but girl through her staff to death row, with their help, but then still left. they are claiming fan harassment, and NCAA said grow up. He sees Harper succeeding with talent, and he knows the old nasty rivalry is good for ratings. I think we can sweep this year and next and make it 5 in a row. We will benefit from him promoting us back to their level...while they are there.

Apparently Sue Bird's dad must be a homophobe, because he told him when they were recruiting her that she would wind up dating girls if she went to Stanford.

There was a time, years ago, when Auriemma DID use anti-lesbian scare tactics wiith parents and players while recruiting. But as is the case with lots of people, he appears to have evolved out of that nonsense. When some of your most-beloved, top players in your program’s history finally come out, and when years pass and you’ve met and coached and grew to care about a huge number of lesbians, you’d have to be unbelievably hateful to continue acting like that.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
The irony in all this is, of course, that Sue is a lesbian and her GF is Megan Rapinoe. So clearly she was going to date girls regardless of where she went, almost as if it's ignorant to have said or believed that otherwise.

Reactions: lvocd
No "huh" or "lol" needed. It's been common knowledge for nearly two decades now.

It’s been common knowledge that’s how he got her ? I didn’t know so it’s not that common... I’m def not a Geno lover but never heard it.

So again where’d you hear it?

It’s been common knowledge that’s how he got her?

No clue on God's green Earth how you got that from what I said, but I didn't say that.

I didn’t know so it’s not that common... I’m def not a Geno lover but never heard it.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the world starts and stop with that you know. I was on The Summitt and Rebkell for many years and it was discussed at length on both of those boards. I also have known people through the years who have come through the LV program at various points.

Also, this would've taken place in the late 90s. You know ... when Sue Bird was in HS?

So again where’d you hear it?

I honestly don't remember where I heard it because it was so long ago. Either way, what's it to you? Why are you acting so personally peeved that I brought this up?

No clue on God's green Earth how you got that from what I said, but I didn't say that.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the world starts and stop with that you know. I was on The Summitt and Rebkell for many years and it was discussed at length on both of those boards. I also have known people through the years who have come through the LV program at various points.

Also, this would've taken place in the late 90s. You know ... when Sue Bird was in HS?

I honestly don't remember where I heard it because it was so long ago. Either way, what's it to you? Why are you acting so personally peeved that I brought this up?

You took it that way... you had issue with my “uh” and “lol” I was actually laughing like what a dbag to do that and was asking where you heard it.

If I was personally peeved you would have clearly known I was peeved. What’s it to me is I thought it was actually funny and something he might do in recruiting but after your assumptions and posts you seem like a $#!+ starter so no I actually don’t care what you have to say anymore.

Have a great evening though and GB🍊

My take is similar but different as well. I don’t think he is intimidated or scared of TN. HOWEVER, he did take that opportunity to plant that seed of doubt in recruits AND their parents minds. Even with the shortened recruiting Kellie and her staff put in work and got some of the top talents to come visit. UConn and TN are in on a lot of good players and if he can use any forum to keep him on top I believe he would. He wouldn’t allow his daughter to come to UT? How about when he bad mouthed Andrea Espinoza Hunter drinking on stage at a luncheon for the UConn donors? The video was taken down (and yes that’s been documented) but he bad mouthed her and spun her leaving into she was kicked off lol. Why say anything if as he says kids leave our program and we help making them seem like saints? Remember the lady Sam Bruenelle we just played ? When she chose ND over UConn he said well we never wanted her or she was never offered LOL... REALLY ? Why would any parent want their child to play for someone who puts teenagers and young ladies down when you are supposed to be building them up. But people have been gracious to Geno for far to long which is why I love how Muffet gives it right back to him.

I agree with everything but UT just being happy with getting "visits" in recruiting is unacceptable. Recruiting has been subpar and it's a shame. I do think Holly set this problem in motion but Harper's recruiting prowess is not enough to overcome it unless she wins a lot.

I agree with everything but UT just being happy with getting "visits" in recruiting is unacceptable. Recruiting has been subpar and it's a shame. I do think Holly set this problem in motion but Harper's recruiting prowess is not enough to overcome it unless she wins a lot.
Holly was a great recruiter. CKH's focus has been raised to the 5* level since her hire. See who she gets next year and the year after. She's going to make you happy.

You mean recruiting has been subpar for this class?

You mean recruiting has been subpar for this class?

Looks like it has been a dud to me for the 2020 class. If not, please share. UT should be the Kentucky men of women's basketball unless you have a Tubby S. or Billie G. type personality.

VN Store

Back