Holly replacement?

A search is not underway and there are no plans to initiate one. It has nothing to do with the "Old Guard," "blue hairs," Pat, Pat supporters or Title IX. Fulmer is going to let the season play out before evaluating anything. When donors ask, he's very clear about that.
Okay...then he's not doing his job. Oh....he's doing what any middling school might do that cares more about doing it the "proper" PC way....but not the way it should be done at a historically successful gold standard prideful program like UT. Holly should have been removed years ago...and its shear dereliction of duty that she has stayed as long as she has to further destroy what was for a long time a golden gem of a program. One that excelled on the national stage like no other. Whatever. Do it the Austin Peay way...wait till a lost season is completely over and firmly in the crapper before sitting down to think about it. Fine.

Shouldn't the thread title have a "?" at least. This ain't even a rumor. It's someone's hope.

Yes, IMO, Fulmer should wait till seasons end to evaluate CHW. Knee jerking based on feeling has some serious pitfalls w almost no upside.
#1 If the interim were to pull a "WVU Football" and make some deep unexpected tourney run. Then the emotions could pressure and sway an intelligent calculated hire. We do N-O-T need another emotional hire. That's how we got here. Bad leadership in the AD.
#2 It looks too impatient and insensitive for coaching prospects and many fans. Remember, what's important is getting the RIGHT hire. We won't them to know we're not too impatient. Also, many in the fanbase want to see one of our program's legends treated with respect. Not kicked to the curb. She's responsible for some of the banners hanging here.
#3 Things could easily get worse on the court and off. It's absolutely possible even though that might seem hard to believe.

All jmo.

Okay...then he's not doing his job. Oh....he's doing what any middling school might do that cares more about doing it the "proper" PC way....but not the way it should be done at a historically successful gold standard prideful program like UT. Holly should have been removed years ago...and its shear dereliction of duty that she has stayed as long as she has to further destroy what was for a long time a golden gem of a program. One that excelled on the national stage like no other. Whatever. Do it the Austin Peay way...wait till a lost season is completely over and firmly in the crapper before sitting down to think about it. Fine.
You are spot on. Lack of foresight at the AD level and big boosters. Holly isn't gonna get it done or it would have been done at least once by now, (making final 4). Lady Vols need an infusion of winning........now!

Reactions: T.J. and sisaq
Holly is doing a fine job. Her coaching is willing this team to victories. She is a great leader and has this team on an upward trajectory.

Reactions: T.J.
Firing a coach for poor performance is a lot different than the legitimate claims of discrimination that Jennings has against Dave Hart and the University.

For the simple-minded, here’s the difference between Holly and Jennings/Moshak:

When you go .500 in SEC play and have a contract, then the school terminates that contract for poor performance, pays you a buyout, and hires whoever they want. That’s not discrimination, that’s coaching.

When you combine two media relations or athletic training departments and tell the head of one of them that they won’t be considered for the position of head of the combined department because they won’t have a woman in that position, that’s the definition of discrimination. When you then fire that person for pointing that out, then you have a lawsuit.

I have no idea if former wants to make a move, he certainly has not decided yet. But if she goes 500 in the conference, we’re going to find out how committed the school is to women’s basketball. And worries about legal action won’t enter the realm of discussion.

Believe nothing you hear, and only half that you see

Truth. But don't confuse them with the facts. They don't know what Title IX is but they know they don't like it. There's an unfortunate stereotype that says any minority helped by legislation will automatically use it to sue the sh&t outta folks. Not sure why or how, but by God "those people" are on the phone with the lawyers as we speak!

Thankfully, the ADs team of lawyers will advise Fulmer he's allowed to let her go. I agree he has been trying to be sensitive about the situation, but not out of fear of lawsuit or some nebulous "old guard" but rather because of the circumstances of losing Pat.

Interesting, how did this title IX lawsuit workout?

University of Tennessee settles Title IX lawsuit for $2.48 million

Tennessee, Debby Jennings settle lawsuit
Jennings' lawyer, David Burkhalter, released a statement Thursday that said the parties had "reached an amicable settlement" and noted the amount. The lawsuit, filed in September 2012, alleged age and sex discrimination had led to Jennings' forced retirement after 35 years at the university.

"I am hopeful my lawsuit has cast some light on some of the inequities that I and others experienced in the combined UT athletics department," Jennings said in a statement released by Burkhalter. "My sincere desire is that my university will strive to bridge the gap in the disparity of the number of women and minorities in leadership roles within the (athletic department)."

"Now that Debby has reached an amicable settlement, we hope that the public attention that has been brought by the suit to the disparity of women and minorities in leadership roles in the University of Tennessee athletic department will be addressed, and the suit will be a vehicle for positive change in the athletic department,"

Tennessee still faces another discrimination lawsuit from former director of sports medicine Jenny Moshak and ex-Lady Vols strength coaches Heather Mason and Collin Schlosser. The plaintiffs say they performed similar tasks as employees who held similar positions for men's teams, but that they received less compensation either because of their gender or due to their association with women's teams.

Gee all sounds like Title IX to me

Maybe so, however I've been told ( maybe it's not true, who knows? ) that Fulmer wants zero to do with making calls within the Lady Vols basketball program without the blessing of the old guard. And I think his hands off approach to a lot of sports has to do with fixing football first. Because when football is good everything else should prosper.

Who the hell are "the old guard"??? Name some of "them"...

Certainly the best women's coach out there, but she is highly paid...possibly $3 to $5 million.

Not even close to that kind of $alary. Try $200,000.

She could triple that with the Vols.

She turned down the Florida job a couple of years, but in my opinion, she would benefit herself to take a major coaching job in college.

If she were successful, then her stock in the NBA coaching circle would improve her chances, of coaching in the NBA. Needless to say I am a Spurs fan and a Popovich fan, and definately a Becky Hammon fan.

Not so much spelling fan. I have never been stung by a spelling Bee. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Hope you're right but I have my doubts. Fulmer isn't going to make a move until some of the old guard gives him the go ahead. He doesn't want any part of the title 9 stuff and I don't blame him. The old guard loves Holly, they're just as stupid and arrogant as she is.

WTF does this have to do with entitled 9? Holly is an unfit coach for this program, period! What she has between her legs shouldn't have a damn thing to do with it!

Interesting, how did this title IX lawsuit workout?

University of Tennessee settles Title IX lawsuit for $2.48 million

Tennessee, Debby Jennings settle lawsuit
Jennings' lawyer, David Burkhalter, released a statement Thursday that said the parties had "reached an amicable settlement" and noted the amount. The lawsuit, filed in September 2012, alleged age and sex discrimination had led to Jennings' forced retirement after 35 years at the university.

"I am hopeful my lawsuit has cast some light on some of the inequities that I and others experienced in the combined UT athletics department," Jennings said in a statement released by Burkhalter. "My sincere desire is that my university will strive to bridge the gap in the disparity of the number of women and minorities in leadership roles within the (athletic department)."

"Now that Debby has reached an amicable settlement, we hope that the public attention that has been brought by the suit to the disparity of women and minorities in leadership roles in the University of Tennessee athletic department will be addressed, and the suit will be a vehicle for positive change in the athletic department,"

Tennessee still faces another discrimination lawsuit from former director of sports medicine Jenny Moshak and ex-Lady Vols strength coaches Heather Mason and Collin Schlosser. The plaintiffs say they performed similar tasks as employees who held similar positions for men's teams, but that they received less compensation either because of their gender or due to their association with women's teams.

Gee all sounds like Title IX to me

Only because you do not understand what Title IX is and refuse to learn. As I explained earlier (futilely), the Jennings and Moshak suits were based in claims of age and gender discrimination (with Moshak only referencing the latter). Suits are filed under a provision of the civil rights act which the Supreme court ruled covered gender an age factors. The media references Title IX because both parties worked in the women's athletic sphere but title IX, per se, was not the legal basis of the lawsuit.

Also, you don't seem to understand how out of court settlements work. Jennings original suit was for 2.48 million. However, she settled for 320,000 with a chunk of that covering legal fees:

Former Lady Vols media director Debby Jennings has reached a $320,000 settlement in her lawsuit against the University of Tennessee and athletics director Dave Hart.
Source: Tennessee, Debby Jennings settle lawsuit

Out of court settlements generally when both parties recognize they have vulnerabilities (UT bad press and evidence where the courts could rule in Jennings favor; Jennings enough ambiguity about her situation that the court could also rule in favor of UT leaving her with hefty legal fees).

Last edited:
Season has to play out looks like we need 5 wins to make the tourney. Four might make it if we beat either SC or Miss St otherwise will take five wins. Home games Auburn, South Carolina, Vanderbilt. Need to win all three of these home games or things don't look very good. Road Miss St., Texas A&M, Missouri, and Ole Miss. If we can win the home games and one road game one tournament win should get us win. If we could manage 2 and 2 road and all three home games were in. Right now my view is that with any effective play at all we should be able to beat Auburn and Vanderbilt at home. We should win Ole Miss on the road although they are much better than when the season started. Tossups South Carolina, Missouri. Probable loss Texas A&M. Almost certain loss Miss. St.

If we end something like 3 and 4 looks like that will make us the first Tennessee team to not make the NCAA tourney barring some sort of miracle tournament run. If we fail to make the tourney no reason for Holly not to be gone have to be a breaking point somewhere and not making the tourney is huge.

And at the start of next season, the head coach of your Lady Vols will still be Holly Warlick.

If this is true then the Lady Vols which we once loved is no more.

And all this “but she’s a nice person” is starting to wear very thin. A nice person wouldnt blame everyone else for their problems. A nice person would not blame everything wrong on 18, 19, 20 year olds without taking any responsibility. A nice person would not throw her mentor and idol under the bus and claim she wouldn’t be able to coach in the present day. A nice person would not be so stubborn and blind to think they are more important than the very institution and program they supposedly love.

Reactions: cutiepie5
Every coach at this level knows the reality. How long until Holly's current contract runs out? Maybe we just ride it out if it's only another year or two.

VN Store

Back