Holly and “the impossible to follow a legend” myth

When I look at those stats I see Holly coaching teams recruited and trained by Pat Summit the 1st 3 years then I see teams trained and coached by Holly Warlick the next 5. I look at the final 4 in women's basketball the same as the sweet 16 in mens basketball. The bottom 32 teams in the women's tournament are really weak when compared to the top 32. First 2 games should be walk overs every year. Thats why the final 4 is the goal for the women each season, as it is for all the top women's programs.

You can reasonably argue that she was retained two years longer than she should have been but the athletic department has been under a lot of turmoil and women's basketball was not a top priority.
That's exactly what I reasonably argue. Truthfully though, we probably couldn't in our worst nightmare imagine the amount of damage those extra two years have brought. The biggest boo-boo was probably not letting her go last year. I get that he low-balled her just in case, clearly seeing the danger. I forgive him for that mistake due to his seemingly firm realization that with the alarming rate of decline this year, it could not go on.

Also, I definitely never thought CHW was as oblivious and dug in as she was. I thought she thought about stepping away last year and so this was her one more year. Shows what I knew, now she wants yet another one more year in which the Magic Switch will be flipped! If she had been waivering he might have done it last year, would have been much easier. Now that she's clearly delusional there's no choice.

I guess the moral of the story (listening UConn?) is have an uncomplicated, unattached and brief legend following experience in which the expendable coach can be canned the minute they start to show the inevitable effects of Legend Following Syndrome. Then hire the real next coach.

That sword swings both ways though. While it's true that expectations are higher at Tennessee than most schools, there's also a lot of built in advantages that most schools don't have...

1. The roster full of top 100/McDonald All-American players.

2. Our facilities are second to none in the country.

3. Fan support is second to none in the country.

4. Tennessee Womens Basketball is still a national brand that's recognized all over the country. We have a built in recruiting advantage that 99% of the other schools don't have.

This is one of the most coveted jobs in womens basketball in the entire country. Yes expectations are high and they should be. There are a LOT of advantages that come with coaching this program that the vast majority of other programs simply don't have.
Yep, and pat made winning look easy, its not

We see you live in Bama so we will forgive what seems to be their ignorance rubbing off onto you, however Bama doesn't know who their women's basketball coach is because they are too busy with their sister wives and yelling Roll Tide at each passing car while waiting for nick Saban to come to the podium to talk about football. Yet still Holly managed to lose to that Bama team 5 straight times. So it wasn't unrealistic expectations that got Holly, it was her lack of coaching that did.
Yet, except her record at most school would be decent, its not at UT

VN Store

Back