Hokies Hooked On Hooker

In comparison

25-30 years?

definitely a lot closer than 1950, which was retroactively awarded and guess who was the only team to beat them that year?!?!
So just under the gun...23 years!

Growing up in Virginia there were MANY tech fans that believed their program was superior to ours.

When we lost to them in 09 I punched the TV.

I would love love love to play them in a bowl game this year.

Vols kicked that ass in the Bristol showdown. With a team in disarray

Reactions: GritNGrind1906
I've honestly never understood why they thought he was so bad to begin with. Hooker was not the problem at VT last year.

Sure they were 2-3 with him as a starter, but that ignores that the fact that he put up gaudy numbers in some of those games and VT's defense played terrible. They lost to Liberty 38-35 and Hooker was 20/27 for 217 yards passing, 156 yards rushing, 3 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, and 0 turnovers. He averaged 7.8 ypc. You can't blame that loss on the QB! It's difficult to even put up better numbers than those.

He played well against Miami, as well and they lost 24-25.

The only loss you can really blame on him was Wake Forest, where he threw 3 INTs. And he still rushed for 98 yards in that game. Most of the other losses were better explained by his supporting cast.

He was a gift for sure. Makes the O run so much better.

It is freaky how much they resemble the denizens of volnation
Except they don’t have to play UGA, UF, Bama every year. But when it turns for us it will turn in a big way. Saturday night just a sampling...gonna be live.

Vols kicked that ass in the Bristol showdown. With a team in disarray

Well in all fairness, their QB was an interception throwing machine that night.

Even Botch could win a game when the other team has 5-6 turnovers.

Maybe atm due to record, but VT has played for a national title in modern history and has also won the ACC a few times, so no, it’s not a lateral move.

I dunno man. Stoops has pretty much made Kentucky from the ground up over the course of what-over a decade. Him leaving for Kentucky would have been kind of like Frank Beamer leaving VT for South Carolina or something.

I just do not see VT as a "destination" job. They are a decent program and all, but they have absolutely NO following outside this area that I have ever seen.

I also think that Stoops decide to leave UK, what he has accomplished would put him in a position to land a far better job than VT.

Reactions: vettefool
We may beat him in the future but it is not because he hasn’t done a good job at a school with almost no history of football success. To say Stoops hasn’t done a good job at Kentucky is foolish. He’s built a solid program.
Yet we will beat them again this year…

Stoops should get some serious offers this off-season. He has done a great job building their program.

I dunno man. Stoops has pretty much made Kentucky from the ground up over the course of what-over a decade. Him leaving for Kentucky would have been kind of like Frank Beamer leaving VT for South Carolina or something.

I just do not see VT as a "destination" job. They are a decent program and all, but they have absolutely NO following outside this area that I have ever seen.

I also think that Stoops decide to leave UK, what he has accomplished would put him in a position to land a far better job than VT.
I don't think Stoops is a destination coach, Besides, VT is 100% a step up from a basketball school. They just have had a hard time replacing a legend. Sound familiar?

Stoops could probably win the ACC if he was as successful as he's been at UK. He would at least win his division more times than not and lose to Clemson in the ACCCG.

Kensucky wont ever do that, imo. Maybe he will prove me wrong this Saturday, but I dont think they have the horse to beat UGA.

Reactions: saxvol
That forum is terrible. Seeing something like that makes me appreciate this board even more. And though I knew that fans bashing their program is nothing new (see the last decade here) I enjoyed reading their heart break, anger, frustration and calls to fire the coach.

I hope we're past that. Go Vol's.
Imagine how recruits feel reading VN 🤣

Can anyone explain why he left Va Tech? Genuinely curious as I haven't read much. It looked like he did a fairly good job starting there.

Dude you are on that GOOD south Knox meth if you think either of those guys would ever coach at Kentucky.

Hugh would kill to get back in the SEC.

Urban might be a stretch but he'll have to rebuild his rep as bad as this is spiraling on him. His name will still recruit in the Ohio Valley so UK might be a decent low-pressure spot to rehab his image.

VT should win like crazy. Virginia is a big enough state with enough population to have a good football program. With their weak ACC schedule, they should average 10 wins/yr. It should be an easy job for a good coach that transitions to a "destination" job.

Can anyone explain why he left Va Tech? Genuinely curious as I haven't read much. It looked like he did a fairly good job starting there.
I assume he lost his starting position, had graduated and was looking for greener pastures, which I think he has found in Big Orange country

Hugh would kill to get back in the SEC.

Urban might be a stretch but he'll have to rebuild his rep as bad as this is spiraling on him. His name will still recruit in the Ohio Valley so UK might be a decent low-pressure spot to rehab his image.

Freeze may return.... However it will be hard to determine where? I don't see LSU even bothering with hm.

Urban is done. I don't think he will ever coach again except at peewee level....he is in over his head in the NFL and College Football is his niche but most are worn out with the excuses for bolting....He is a mental head case and is over the hill....

Reactions: 37620VOL
Don’t know how much truth there is to it, but many of their fans seem to think that Fuente was too overbearing and less forgiving of mistakes by Hooker compared to the other QBs on their roster, which likely made Hooker think that he didn’t have a fair shot at getting the starting position. Might be complete BS, but that is what a lot of them seem to think.

Don’t know how much truth there is to it, but many of their fans seem to think that Fuente was too overbearing and less forgiving of mistakes by Hooker compared to the other QBs on their roster, which likely made Hooker think that he didn’t have a fair shot at getting the starting position. Might be complete BS, but that is what a lot of them seem to think.
That's the story. Generally that Fuente was an absolute assbag to him, promised him certain things then didn't live up to those promises, etc.

VT should win like crazy. Virginia is a big enough state with enough population to have a good football program. With their weak ACC schedule, they should average 10 wins/yr. It should be an easy job for a good coach that transitions to a "destination" job.

Virginia is indeed a large state, but in many ways is like Tennessee.

VT is heavily followed in SW and Eastern VA. The main population centers in NoVA where most of the big time recruits come from are very culturally different. If anything, most households in the VA side of the DC suburbs tend to be Maryland fans.

Kind of mirrors the situation with UT and Memphis.

Like I said, I really have nothing against the Hokies. They just do not have much of a following outside of their little area so until that changes, they are never going to be a destination job for anyone.

VN Store

Back