Hokies Hooked On Hooker

Why would a Tennessee fan ever care about Kentucky? If you are a national level program you shouldn't care about Kentucky. That says alot about the state of everything right now.
I explained why very clearly and succinctly. It’s a family thing. It says nothing about anything other than my family. Any other questions?

I really thought Fuente would do well there. Or anywhere he went. Anyone follow the program enough to know what went wrong?
The linked board seems to think the D is bad, the O is boring, and their recruiting and player development is suspect. I can't say myself. I've tried to watch them several times the last few seasons, and it's always a snoozer that I don't finish. Which supports what they're saying about the O I guess.

I explained why very clearly and succinctly. It’s a family thing. It says nothing about anything other than my family. Any other questions?
Its you and many others like the guys above me ^ @jarnol32. If you really think things will turn around theres no need to say it lol.

Stoops would never go there. No midwestern ties...not his recruiting ground...lower tier ACC team.

Why would VT be limited to Midwestern recruiting? They are located east of Knoxville and currently have no Midwestern players on their roster. The majority of their players are from VA, but they have several from FL, TN, GA, NC, PA, and NJ. They also have players from SC, CA, UT, NJ, MD and DE. I would consider their primary recruiting areas to be the Southeast and Northeast.

Why would VT be limited to Midwestern recruiting? They are located east of Knoxville and currently have no Midwestern players on their roster. The majority of their players are from VA, but they have several from FL, TN, GA, NC, PA, and NJ. They also have players from SC, CA, UT, NJ, MD and DE. I would consider their primary recruiting areas to be the Southeast and Northeast.
Because the only appeal for Kentucky is they're the closest SEC school for those B10 kids who want to play in the SEC. Theres no appeal to playing at VaTech in a bad (near G6 level) school. Kentucky is plucking the best Ohio and Michigan kids that want to play in the SEC. You wouldn't get that at VaTech. Bad recent history, bad conference, and bad location.

Stoops wants to recruit Ohio and Michigan. If theres a job where he can't do that at the same level then he just won't go there. Theres probably only 4-5 jobs in the country that he'd consider. Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan, Iowa, and Florida St.

Last edited:
I've honestly never understood why they thought he was so bad to begin with. Hooker was not the problem at VT last year.

Sure they were 2-3 with him as a starter, but that ignores that the fact that he put up gaudy numbers in some of those games and VT's defense played terrible. They lost to Liberty 38-35 and Hooker was 20/27 for 217 yards passing, 156 yards rushing, 3 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, and 0 turnovers. He averaged 7.8 ypc. You can't blame that loss on the QB! It's difficult to even put up better numbers than those.

He played well against Miami, as well and they lost 24-25.

The only loss you can really blame on him was Wake Forest, where he threw 3 INTs. And he still rushed for 98 yards in that game. Most of the other losses were better explained by his supporting cast.

It's the river of denial problem some football fans and even some football coaches get into when they lose games they should win. Recently we saw this with Bama fans excoriating their OC and QB over their loss to TA&M. How does one score over 30 points in an SEC matchup and complain about the offense losing the game??? The same way Pruitt found every reason in the world he was losing games as a head coach except for the horribly consistent play he was getting at the QB position.

Reactions: saxvol
Why? He is 2-6 all time vs Tennessee, and he’s played some of the worst Tennessee teams of all time. Keep him around we will beat him for years to come.
We may beat him in the future but it is not because he hasn’t done a good job at a school with almost no history of football success. To say Stoops hasn’t done a good job at Kentucky is foolish. He’s built a solid program.

Blacksburg is an awesome town. And VT is a fun place to watch games, despite the super annoying key shaking. I’ve got a soft spot for the Hokies and wish they were added to the SEC instead of Missouri.
They have approximately 3 bars and there is absolutely nothing to do but hike or hangout at someone’s apartment. That said, I would prefer them over Missouri as well.

Dear Hokies,

Please hire Mark Stoops away from Kensucky.

Thanks,
VN

Wouldn't that be a lateral move-at best- by this point?

I didn't mind VT so much 30 years ago. They were a scrappy little program.

Their fans were spoiled during the Vick years though. They actually think they are still relevant.

I hope Rivermill and Hokie House are still there.
Tots, Sharky’s and Rivermill were all in operation last time I was there. Being from DC myself, Blacksburg was the weekend destination on many, many weekends. Although, I much preferred Harrisonburg.

Reactions: DC_Vol
I could live with them beating the hell out of everyone in the ACC. Probably one of the teams I hate the least.
For some strange reason that I can not explain, I always did have a soft spot for the Hokies.🤷‍♂️
GBO!!

Tots, Sharky’s and Rivermill were all in operation last time I was there. Being from DC myself, Blacksburg was the weekend destination on many, many weekends. Although, I much preferred Harrisonburg.

How could I have left off Sharky’s??? Unforgivable oversight on my part.

Its you and many others like the guys above me ^ @jarnol32. If you really think things will turn around theres no need to say it lol.
I see...we don’t measure up to your superfandom. You can add your post to the list of things that there is no need to say.

I have a familial connection to Kentucky, and hate losing to them, like the last 3 regimes have been able to accomplish. What I don’t need to do is explain how much I support and believe in what Heupel is doing to you, an anonymous poster on a message board.

You have a blessed day. Or don’t.

Wouldn't that be a lateral move-at best- by this point?

I didn't mind VT so much 30 years ago. They were a scrappy little program.

Their fans were spoiled during the Vick years though. They actually think they are still relevant.
Maybe atm due to record, but VT has played for a national title in modern history and has also won the ACC a few times, so no, it’s not a lateral move.

Maybe atm due to record, but VT has played for a national title in modern history and has also won the ACC a few times, so no, it’s not a lateral move.
How far does “modern history go”? Played for it in 1999.

VN Store

Back