Hokies Hooked On Hooker

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
I decided to peek into the VT forum to see what they thought of Captain Hook. Shaking their heads in wonder mostly. As for their coach, they have an a condition VERY similar to our Pruittitis. I looked at posts in 1 -3 pages. Further along the thread 5> they talk about wanting to hire our Heup.
Hooker……

That forum is terrible. Seeing something like that makes me appreciate this board even more. And though I knew that fans bashing their program is nothing new (see the last decade here) I enjoyed reading their heart break, anger, frustration and calls to fire the coach.

I hope we're past that. Go Vol's.

Well, all that sounds familiar. Based on the mood of their board, I'd guess Fuente is gone at the end of the season or before the end of next.

Reactions: KptVFL
I've honestly never understood why they thought he was so bad to begin with. Hooker was not the problem at VT last year.

Sure they were 2-3 with him as a starter, but that ignores that the fact that he put up gaudy numbers in some of those games and VT's defense played terrible. They lost to Liberty 38-35 and Hooker was 20/27 for 217 yards passing, 156 yards rushing, 3 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, and 0 turnovers. He averaged 7.8 ypc. You can't blame that loss on the QB! It's difficult to even put up better numbers than those.

He played well against Miami, as well and they lost 24-25.

The only loss you can really blame on him was Wake Forest, where he threw 3 INTs. And he still rushed for 98 yards in that game. Most of the other losses were better explained by his supporting cast.

My girlfriend is a Tech alum, so I've been nursed into following the past year or so...Hooker wasn't the issue last year, but the defense has been much better this year. Their QB Burmeister is a tough, gritty player but extremely limited passing. Nothing more than a game manager. Very good chance they're 6-0 and top 10 right now with Hook to be honest. Also, a lot of in-game decisions by Fuente give me major Butch Jones vibes.

I like Hooker. He played pretty well for them, and he's played pretty well for us. After he gets a little larger body of work at Tennessee, we might conclude that he has dramatically improved, but I thought he was already pretty good.

Reactions: LookoutVol
I do feel kinda bad for VT. IMO you don't hire the Memphis coach because that's just not a tough enough situation for a coach to prove he can win at the Power 5 level. Norvell's struggles at FSU reflect that as well. And the AAC is probably the same. I sure hope CJH proves to be the first ultra successful coach from that league (he did have a lot of prior success which is well documented of course). While I am excited about our play the last 2 games I'd have to admit I'm kinda in a wait-and-see mode starting Saturday night. I think the overall health of our team will determine a lot of our success going forward and not just one player like HH.

VN Store

Back