Hmmm. An illuminating read (Olympics/WNBA)

Equal pay for the WNBA would shut down the league. Zero pay for the WNBA players would be the result. Even some college "educated" people have no concept of economics. Sad but true.

But let's get woke and then both leagues would shut down because NBA players would have to take a HUGE pay cut.

Reactions: Kdbnab1 and tbwhhs
The average salary dollar per revenue dollar for the WNBA would actually show the NBA average salary is too low.

WNBA: revenue of $60,000,000 and average salary of $116,000
NBA: revenue of $7,920,000,000 and average salary of $7,500,000

$116,000/$60,000,000 = 0.00193 salary dollar per revenue dollar
0.00193 x $7,920,000,000 = $15,312,000 and the average nba salary is listed at $7,500,000.

Equal pay for the WNBA would shut down the league. Zero pay for the WNBA players would be the result. Even some college "educated" people have no concept of economics. Sad but true.

But let's get woke and then both leagues would shut down because NBA players would have to take a HUGE pay cut.
I’m for that

When it comes to pay inequities, there are always going to be multiple variables as to the cause no matter the industry or profession, and it should be addressed and remedied. Moreover, the market place will dictate or weigh heavily when it comes to compensation. The fact of the matter is that the WNBA is not viewed as bringing the same level of value to the market place as the NBA, and this is at a time when ratings for the WNBA is at its highest in the last three years. As a man, I love and support the WNBA and women's basketball, and I am not alone as the majority of the WNBA viewership are men. But in my humble opinion, women's basketball has been it's own worst enemy at times. The Olympic roster resembles more of the roster of college the head coach represents which is just plain unfair. Politics have gotten in the way in selecting the best players to be on the team, ie, Candace Parker. The Olympic committee, the colleges, and the WNBA need to move up the selection process in order to provide more chemistry and continuity within the team. Players should not get paid as an incentive to play or practice for Team USA, it is enough that players are selected and don't have to go through the earn your spot process as other Olympic athletes do. Finally, the WNBA has to organically grow their viewership continually and relentlessly. The WNBA needs more support from women.

When it comes to pay inequities, there are always going to be multiple variables as to the cause no matter the industry or profession, and it should be addressed and remedied. Moreover, the market place will dictate or weigh heavily when it comes to compensation. The fact of the matter is that the WNBA is not viewed as bringing the same level of value to the market place as the NBA, and this is at a time when ratings for the WNBA is at its highest in the last three years. As a man, I love and support the WNBA and women's basketball, and I am not alone as the majority of the WNBA viewership are men. But in my humble opinion, women's basketball has been it's own worst enemy at times. The Olympic roster resembles more of the roster of college the head coach represents which is just plain unfair. Politics have gotten in the way in selecting the best players to be on the team, ie, Candace Parker. The Olympic committee, the colleges, and the WNBA need to move up the selection process in order to provide more chemistry and continuity within the team. Players should not get paid as an incentive to play or practice for Team USA, it is enough that players are selected and don't have to go through the earn your spot process as other Olympic athletes do. Finally, the WNBA has to organically grow their viewership continually and relentlessly. The WNBA needs more support from women.

the marketing of the league is its own worst enemy as well,,,not marketed to kids at all, minimal product endorsements and as you mentioned support from women is not as strong as it should be.

I have coached in the teenage range for most of my life and all of the life of the league and I followed the W heavily in its infancy. I was heavily involved in bringing the "Dream" to Atlanta. Was involved in the committee that worked to bring it there and was friends with Kathy Betty, 1st the owner of the team. and met Donna Preander at a pre-league party with the Dream.

I knew it was going to be a tough sell when I saw how it was marketed from the gitgo...There was only ONE billboard in the whole city advertising it and when I approached the team about the utilization of the "free publication" racks of which I was an Ops Manager of (at the time we were in 125 Quicktrip convenience stores, 110 Blockbusters and 104 Krogers all over metro Atlanta), they could have put flyers, schedules, etc for pennies),,,Nope...I knew then it would be a long journey

The dumber our society get, the more traction this kind of thinking will garner. WNBA is a politically correct charity arm of the woke NBA. It's not even a legitimate surviving business on its own.

Reactions: GoBigOrange2008
The dumber our society get, the more traction this kind of thinking will garner. WNBA is a politically correct charity arm of the woke NBA. It's not even a legitimate surviving business on its own.

This x1000.

It should be renamed the UBBL. Ungrateful (expletive) Basketball League. They aren't profitable. They are carried by the NBA in more ways than is directly visible.

And with all of that, they still never release their financial numbers because they are that bad.

The understanding of economics is so bad that I saw some time ago that players from a women's professional hockey league went on strike. All I could think of is that they were probably saving money by not playing and they thought they were going to break ownership.

And these women (players) do not understand where all the women of wealth (an Oprah, a Kardashian, a whomever) don't step in and buy a franchise without realizing that those women are just like all of us evil men. They don't want to invest money into a losing venture.

This x1000.

It should be renamed the UBBL. Ungrateful (expletive) Basketball League. They aren't profitable. They are carried by the NBA in more ways than is directly visible.

And with all of that, they still never release their financial numbers because they are that bad.

The understanding of economics is so bad that I saw some time ago that players from a women's professional hockey league went on strike. All I could think of is that they were probably saving money by not playing and they thought they were going to break ownership.

And these women (players) do not understand where all the women of wealth (an Oprah, a Kardashian, a whomever) don't step in and buy a franchise without realizing that those women are just like all of us evil men. They don't want to invest money into a losing venture.

Makes me sad when it has to be Gator telling the troof round here.

its only a losing venture because no one is running it like a business,
Owners run it like possessions

There has never been an entertainment venture that I can think of that was propped up and not profitable for 25 years with as much backing and support as the WNBA. Not one. And it's done in all kinds of ways, the most recent being putting Candace Parker on the cover of the NBA2K video game.

The only criticism the league receives is from fans on a forum like this. You won't see a discussion during a broadcast about the need to change the game for the better, what players can do, etc. All you hear is how great the game is. And then they take it to another level and tell you not only that the game is great and the product is outstanding, but that the game is superior to the men's game. And on a broadcast, they carry that lie with a straight face. In other leagues, MLB for instance, they have debates about how to speed up the game, the disturbing number of strikeouts in the league, how to improve the All-Star game, etc.

Not the WNBA. The WNBA is perfect and if you dare attempt to criticize it in any way or point out any flaws, you are sexist pig.

And what sickens me most is that it's purposeful. That's the only bargaining chip they have. Play the sexism card. They all aren't this dumb. Most of them understand the economics. And if they don't, it's been explained to them because their deal with the league is collectively bargained and they aren't dumb enough to go on strike or release financial numbers. So, they get it but yet they're going to claim they are getting shafted. It's damn near extortion and they are doing it to the very people propping them up in the first place.

The other thing that funny is that they don't have any visibility because they gave up their independence to the NBA a long time ago. They play while the NBA is having their playoffs up through the start of the NFL season. Yes, they have their playoffs after the beginning of football season. Brilliant move.

Last edited:
The only criticism the league receives is from fans on a forum like this. You won't see a discussion during a broadcast about the need to change the game for the better, what players can do, etc. All you hear is how great the game is. And then they take it to another level and tell you not only that the game is great and the product is outstanding, but that the game is superior to the men's game. And on a broadcast, they carry that lie with a straight face. In other leagues, MLB for instance, they have debates about how to speed up the game, the disturbing number of strikeouts in the league, how to improve the All-Star game, etc.

Not the WNBA. The WNBA is perfect and if you dare attempt to criticize it in any way or point out any flaws, you are sexist pig.

This is the most annoying part of the league! And the second is they choose stars to market based on inside popularity/connections instead of showcasing the players with personality who can do amazing things with a basketball. Chennedy Carter & Arike O. should be the faces of the league!

Wow, the WNBA is the punching bag those who want to rail against "wokeness".

Here is a reality, about half all NBA also operate a loss and are kept afloat by revenue sharing. The business model for most franchises does not make a lot of sense from a strict bookkeeping standpoint. Switching sports, some of the biggest sports brands in the world, like Barcelona and Real Madrid, have been operating in the red for years and years (with Covid-19 pushing them to the brink of crisis). So, it is not about wokeness but the business of professional sports.

Owners think about franchises as either vanity projects and are willing to eat substantial losses or they build more complex revenue streams through co-branding promotions, licensing, tax credits, and extraneous revenue generated from their stadiums (hosting concerts and other events). There is also a venture capitalist element of investors who are banking on the future value of a franchise/brand, which is tied to anticipated revenue from television and the rest. The venture capitalist model is evident when you read about a sports franchise being valued at X billion dollars. In real tangible assets, francises are never worth neawr that much but they are like a speculative stock where people are bullish on the future.

As for the WNBA players union, none of their reps ever said that they want to be paid the same as NBA players. I know, I know, many want that to be case, so they can bash these ungrateful, unrealistic "woke" players (cause what could be possibly worse that wanting to live in a more equitable world?)

And nothing written here will change that belief, but the players got much of what they were demanding in the new WNBA collective bargaining agreement (see below). Please note, "all players will paid the same as Lebron" is not part of its terms.

WNBA collective bargaining agreement

Last edited:

VN Store

Back