Hmmm. An illuminating read (Olympics/WNBA)

Wow, the WNBA is the punching bag those who want to rail against "wokeness".

Here is a reality, about half all NBA also operate a loss and are kept afloat by revenue sharing. The business model for most franchises does not make a lot of sense from a strict bookkeeping standpoint. Switching sports, some of the biggest sports brands in the world, like Barcelona and Real Madrid, have been operating in the red for years and years (with Covid-19 pushing them to the brink of crisis). So, it is not about wokeness but the business of professional sports.

Owners think about franchises as either vanity projects and are willing to eat substantial losses or they build more complex revenue streams through co-branding promotions, licensing, tax credits, and extraneous revenue generated from their stadiums (hosting concerts and other events). There is also a venture capitalist element of investors who are banking on the future value of a franchise/brand, which is tied to anticipated revenue from television and the rest. The venture capitalist model is evident when you read about a sports franchise being valued at X billion dollars. In real tangible assets, francises are never worth neawr that much but they are like a speculative stock where people are bullish on the future.

As for the WNBA players union, none of their reps ever said that they want to be paid the same as NBA players. I know, I know, many want that to be case, so they can bash these ungrateful, unrealistic "woke" players (cause what could be possibly worse that wanting to live in a more equitable world?)

And nothing written here will change that belief, but the players got much of what they were demanding in the new WNBA collective bargaining agreement (see below). Please note, "all players will paid the same as Lebron" is not part of its terms.

WNBA collective bargaining agreement

Uhhh, no. The NBA is propping up their money losing WNBA. While they have every right to do so, the totally fake national news and sports media fawns over the WNBA exactly like 99Gator said so above.

As bad as it may hurt some people's woke women=men sensitivities, the best women basketball players in the world do NOT come close to playing basketball at the level of the world's best men. Everyone who has eyes to see knows this immediately while watching a game. Men are better at basketball than women. And since everyone knows this, they tend to prefer the higher quality version of the game. It's not sexist, it's simply a quality judgement. And when people WANT something, then they voluntarily pay for it. Therefore it creates a lucrative market for the players being watched. People pay less to see something less quality, like women's basketball. Therefore, the players in that sport will garner less money for their entertainment product. Equality of pay for entertainers aint about how hard the entertainer works. It's about the level of quality that the entertainer actually IS.

None of that has anything to do with sexist thinking. How can you tell? It's simple, those pro women players will garner infinitely more revenue from their product than will the all-male YMCA over 50 pot belly league players. Not because of sexism, but because of the fact that basically nobody wants to see those unskilled fat dudes. Some will pay to see top quality women players.

Men do certain things better as a ceiling. Women do other things better as a ceiling. Men and women are different. How many supermodel males are out there with a bazillion eyeballs ogling them day and night? Not many. Are viewers sexist towards male models? No. Women are more beautiful, attractive, and stunning in the looks department. At least according to popular vote. Men AND women stare at the most beautiful women. Usually for different reasons. Nonetheless, the top supermodels in the world being paid exorbitant amounts of money and spinning off other careers, are ALL women! Not because of some sexist issue, but because far more people like to gaze at the best looking women more than they like to gaze at the best looking males. Women just do it better and everyone can see that!

So, you can spin the WNBA anyway you want to make it appear as if injustice somehow is holding it back. But, it's all a farce. It's a charity venture from another solvent business venture. At the end of the day, not that many people want to pay to see DIII/JUCO level basketball with a smaller ball and the same sized rim. Not when one channel over is an outlandishly better product being displayed.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

Here is a reality, about half all NBA also operate a loss and are kept afloat by revenue sharing. The business model for most franchises does not make a lot of sense from a strict bookkeeping standpoint. Switching sports, some of the biggest sports brands in the world, like Barcelona and Real Madrid, have been operating in the red for years and years (with Covid-19 pushing them to the brink of crisis). So, it is not about wokeness but the business of professional sports.

Owners think about franchises as either vanity projects and are willing to eat substantial losses or they build more complex revenue streams through co-branding promotions, licensing, tax credits, and extraneous revenue generated from their stadiums (hosting concerts and other events). There is also a venture capitalist element of investors who are banking on the future value of a franchise/brand, which is tied to anticipated revenue from television and the rest. The venture capitalist model is evident when you read about a sports franchise being valued at X billion dollars. In real tangible assets, francises are never worth neawr that much but they are like a speculative stock where people are bullish on the future.

As for the WNBA players union, none of their reps ever said that they want to be paid the same as NBA players. I know, I know, many want that to be case, so they can bash these ungrateful, unrealistic "woke" players (cause what could be possibly worse that wanting to live in a more equitable world?)

And nothing written here will change that belief, but the players got much of what they were demanding in the new WNBA collective bargaining agreement (see below). Please note, "all players will paid the same as Lebron" is not part of its terms.

Uhhh, no. The NBA is propping up their money losing WNBA. While they have every right to do so, the totally fake national news and sports media fawns over the WNBA exactly like 99Gator said so above.

As bad as it may hurt some people's woke women=men sensitivities, the best women basketball players in the world do NOT come close to playing basketball at the level of the world's best men. Everyone who has eyes to see knows this immediately while watching a game. Men are better at basketball than women. And since everyone knows this, they tend to prefer the higher quality version of the game. It's not sexist, it's simply a quality judgement. And when people WANT something, then they voluntarily pay for it. Therefore it creates a lucrative market for the players being watched. People pay less to see something less quality, like women's basketball. Therefore, the players in that sport will garner less money for their entertainment product. Equality of pay for entertainers aint about how hard the entertainer works. It's about the level of quality that the entertainer actually IS.

None of that has anything to do with sexist thinking. How can you tell? It's simple, those pro women players will garner infinitely more revenue from their product than will the all-male YMCA over 50 pot belly league players. Not because of sexism, but because of the fact that basically nobody wants to see those unskilled fat dudes. Some will pay to see top quality women players.

Men do certain things better as a ceiling. Women do other things better as a ceiling. Men and women are different. How many supermodel males are out there with a bazillion eyeballs ogling them day and night? Not many. Are viewers sexist towards male models? No. Women are more beautiful, attractive, and stunning in the looks department. At least according to popular vote. Men AND women stare at the most beautiful women. Usually for different reasons. Nonetheless, the top supermodels in the world being paid exorbitant amounts of money and spinning off other careers, are ALL women! Not because of some sexist issue, but because far more people like to gaze at the best looking women more than they like to gaze at the best looking males. Women just do it better and everyone can see that!

So, you can spin the WNBA anyway you want to make it appear as if injustice somehow is holding it back. But, it's all a farce. It's a charity venture from another solvent business venture. At the end of the day, not that many people want to pay to see DIII/JUCO level basketball with a smaller ball and the same sized rim. Not when one channel over is an outlandishly better product being displayed.

Nope, no sexist sexism from THE ABOVE poster.
Now, go drink a beer, fart out loud, sit down in front of your tv and stick your hand into your waistband
if it'll fit
img.gif

Your role model

Last edited:
Reactions: stlvolsfan

Owners think about franchises as either vanity projects and are willing to eat substantial losses or they build more complex revenue streams through co-branding promotions, licensing, tax credits, and extraneous revenue generated from their stadiums (hosting concerts and other events). There is also a venture capitalist element of investors who are banking on the future value of a franchise/brand, which is tied to anticipated revenue from television and the rest. The venture capitalist model is evident when you read about a sports franchise being valued at X billion dollars. In real tangible assets, francises are never worth near that much but they are like a speculative stock where people are bullish on the future.

This article was from 4 years ago.
Why it matters that 14 NBA teams lost money, and why it doesn't

Easy dude, you are about to blow a vessel. Did a WNBA player take your lunch money, kick your dog? Why so much anger? Your bitter, angry stance is really "live faith"?

I am hesitant to respond to you because you literally do not know what you are talking about. You are just spewing out baseless pre-conceptions.

But I never said an injustice was holding back the WNBA back. I was discussing that sports franchises losing money and staying afloat through revenue sharing with more profitable teams also happens in the NBA and many other sports as well, Cash flow is not just a WNBA problem.

Oh and no men are super models cause men ain't as pretty as women? Right:

17 Top Male Models of All Time | Famous Male Models

Also Google, (if you know how), Timothée Chalamet + heartthrob

Last edited:
I come back after a weekend away only to instantly, deeply regret ever posting this link in the first place! :confused:

As I came across the link I was still fixating on the unfairness of the reality that there are two 5-time members of Team USA women's basketball, and when I saw the first couple of sentences of the story, I said to myself, "Ah HA!!! How conveeeeeeenient that those two were negotiating for bonus money for Olympians to train together a full two years before they would (or should, rather) even know if they had been named to the team that would compete in Tokyo."

In my haste to more fully indulge my own disgust in their selfishness by showing how those two KNEW they'd be in the group, no matter WHAT, that I guess I assumed others would also make the link between what USA Basketball "says" and what everyone involved -- mainly Connecticut alums -- actually know is going to happen.

I never meant to post that to start yet another war about WNBA vs. NBA salaries and such. That topic has been beaten to death, and there really doesn't appear to me to be any way to find agreement between the two extreme sides of the debate. Either you believe that women's sports and female athletes are worth supporting, or you don't. It is what it is.

Again, I apologize to the board for sharing this link. I should have realized that it would be taken in the way it was, and also that people here aren't capable of reading my mind. lol I just wanted to point out how those two knew full well they'd be on this Olympic team a couple of years ago when we are told that nobody knows until they've gone through the supposedly fair processes. That's all.

SORRY!!!!!!

Even the best intentions get hijacked from time to time. Look at what's happened to the transfer portal thread.

True. But in this case, this was definitely one of those "you reap what you sow" deals. I should have just let it go, but sometimes my inner wicked twin takes over, makes bad decisions for me, then runs away cackling like a crazy person. It'll be a while before I let THAT happen again. o_O

Easy dude, you are about to blow a vessel. Did a WNBA player take your lunch money, kick your dog? Why so much anger? Your bitter, angry stance is really "live faith"?

I am hesitant to respond to you because you literally do not know what you are talking about. You are just spewing out baseless pre-conceptions.

But I never said an injustice was holding back the WNBA back. I was discussing that sports franchises losing money and staying afloat through revenue sharing with more profitable teams also happens in the NBA and many other sports as well, Cash flow is not just a WNBA problem.

Oh and no men are super models cause men ain't as pretty as women? Right:

17 Top Male Models of All Time | Famous Male Models

Also Google, (if you know how), Timothée Chalamet + heartthrob

I'm not angry Mr Wapner. Just tired of hearing how charities are successful self sustaining businesses that demand moral rectitude from society. Someone eventually has to tell the truth. And thanks for the male models update. I'm really not very familiar with that world.

True. But in this case, this was definitely one of those "you reap what you sow" deals. I should have just let it go, but sometimes my inner wicked twin takes over, makes bad decisions for me, then runs away cackling like a crazy person. It'll be a while before I let THAT happen again. o_O
Next time just cut and quote the relevant paragraph which should help to keep people from going off on NBA tangents, even though the title of the thread should have made it clear.

VN Store

Back