History question?

lukeneyland

God Save the Heup
I was only born in 1995 so I don't really have any first hand memories of us until the early 2000's, but I've noticed that up until 1997 our Midfield logo was the old interlocking UT. Figured I'd ask the old guard to see if any of y'all know why they changed it, both me and my Dad much prefer the interlocking UT at Midfield.

Thanks! That's Kinda depressing that we gave in like that though. If I read article correctly does that mean we're technically allowed to use the old logo but only East of the Mississippi?
If you get caught wearing the Tennessee interlocking UT West of the Mississippi you will get arrested and fined and possibly shot.

I prefer the power T myself. The best part is we can buy a burnt orange interlocking UT and put our rears on it! They can have that!

Reactions: dduncan4163
You know, I've been around a long time and had forgotten that brew ha ha.... Now that you bring it up I haven't miss the interlock as I see it all the time. Really like the power "T" on the helmets though.

Thanks! That's Kinda depressing that we gave in like that though. If I read article correctly does that mean we're technically allowed to use the old logo but only East of the Mississippi?
I'm not exactly sure how it is that you see this as giving in. Most people in the US live east of the Mississippi River. California and Texas are the only states in the Texas region with major populations that rival or surpass many states in the east. The inverse of what you said about Tennessee being limited to using UT east of the Mississippi is true of Texas, (ie, they are limited to using the interlocking UT logo west of the Mississippi). Seems to be a fairly equal settlement to me.

EDIT: Since Arkansas and Missouri and Texas A&M have been added to the conference since this settlement, I wonder if a territorial exception to Tennessee using UT west of the Mississippi River now exists in those states. There was an exception carved out for western Louisiana due to LSU being in the conference. If so, the settlement looks even better now. One of the advantages of being in arguably the best athletic conference in America.

Last edited:
Of course Texas uses that ugly color they call burnt orange (I think diarrhea would be a better name) not the brilliant bright orange of the VOLS. I'm happy with the power T. GBO.

Give me the Power T and the frontiersman logo.

Cartoon Smokey is kind of lame IMO.

VN Store

Back