Historical facts about The University of Tennessee

volsknx

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
Don’t know if there is another thread on here like this. Of so, please merge. If not, I will go first.

The reason UT is in East Tennessee is due to East Tn being sympathizers to the Union during the Civil War. When they were deciding on location for the state’s Land Grant, they valued that.

An unsubstantiated claim I heard back to the late 80’s or 90’s is that supposedly the land provided for Neyland Stadium called for the North end zone to never block the view of students who wanted to sit on the hill and watch games.

I seen this one.

On the Agriculture Campus is a “Hamilton Mound,” an Indian burial mound that probably contains between 10 and 100 graves. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

In the backyard of Tyson Alumni House on the main campus is the grave of Bonita, the pet dog of Lawrence D. and Betty Tyson, who owned the house. The university purchased the house in 1954 and agreed to keep up Bonita’s grave. Ulysses S. Grant Jr., son of President Grant, gave Bonita to the Tysons’ daughter.

Reactions: StarRaider
I seen this one.

On the Agriculture Campus is a “Hamilton Mound,” an Indian burial mound that probably contains between 10 and 100 graves. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

In the backyard of Tyson Alumni House on the main campus is the grave of Bonita, the pet dog of Lawrence D. and Betty Tyson, who owned the house. The university purchased the house in 1954 and agreed to keep up Bonita’s grave. Ulysses S. Grant Jr., son of President Grant, gave Bonita to the Tysons’ daughter.

Right next to (south of) Greve Hall. I’ve walked by it 100x.

Across the river where part of the farm was is an Indian burial place. I believe it is now a golf course.

Charles Scott Abbott- Co Founder of Trivial Pursuit , received his Masters Degree in Journalism in 1978

1626024452724.jpeg

Reactions: tbh
How did a school founded in 1794 manage to exist for decades before the Yankees gave them land?

It's true that William Brownlow, a Knoxville resident became the governor during Tennessee's reconstruction. Maybe he tossed a few goodies to the homies.

How did a school founded in 1794 manage to exist for decades before the Yankees gave them land?

It's true that William Brownlow, a Knoxville resident became the governor during Tennessee's reconstruction. Maybe he tossed a few goodies to the homies.
The school was first Blount College and then East Tennessee College, and later East Tennessee University. East Tennessee University received said OP grant and became the University of Tennessee.

Reactions: Plano Vol

It wasn't that the Federal Government gave Tennessee land that was in Tennessee. They gave all states land and while some of the (newer) states (at that time) had ample land, states like ours did not. So, to settle the West, they gave states land out West. They were to sell the land and use that money for their endowment and thus, only the interest from that money can be spent.

aTm used to have the lowest tuition of all land grants because they held onto their land the longest before it sold. Therefore, when land was higher, they received more due to the price per acre being higher.

Fact: Many-a bomb threat was phoned into Glocker on exam days from the pay phone at the corner of Lake & Melrose.

Don’t know if there is another thread on here like this. Of so, please merge. If not, I will go first.

The reason UT is in East Tennessee is due to East Tn being sympathizers to the Union during the Civil War. When they were deciding on location for the state’s Land Grant, they valued that.

An unsubstantiated claim I heard back to the late 80’s or 90’s is that supposedly the land provided for Neyland Stadium called for the North end zone to never block the view of students who wanted to sit on the hill and watch games.
I believe it was Alice Watkins Shields who requested that The Hill always be visible from the new athletic field she and her husband funded.

I'm sure all Big Orange football fans know this but for those young whippersnappers who may not, the patented Orange we wear is the color of a flower that once grew on the hill.

Anyone want to provide the story of our mascot, Smokey?

I'm sure all Big Orange football fans know this but for those young whippersnappers who may not, the patented Orange we wear is the color of a flower that once grew on the hill.

Anyone want to provide the story of our mascot, Smokey?

I don't remember all the details, but he was the loudest, most enthusiastic howler during a homecoming (maybe) mascot selection in the 1950s.

My granddad was in school at the time and remembered it happening!

True fact: SGA president Big Al ran on a platform of moving the chair lift from the worlds fair to campus from Presidential to the hill. He also wanted pay toilets in faculty lounges. Neither happened.

VN Store

Back