Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

Despite my loyal fondness for the homemade staff, through hikers will opine that ounces count, and lightweight fancy sticks are superior to homemade wooden ones.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Any decent hikes in/near Townsend? Nothing too crazy. Just looking to kill a couple of hours Saturday morning. Our cabin is in Townsend

Any decent hikes in/near Townsend? Nothing too crazy. Just looking to kill a couple of hours Saturday morning. Our cabin is in Townsend
Metcalf bottoms has some good hikes out of it. You can leave Townsend and go back up to Wears Valley and stay away from the crowded roads at Cades Cove.

Reactions: VOLNPA
One of the most popular hikes in the area, Laurel Falls on the AT. I’ve been here 6-7 times but always from the “main trail” off the HWY which is about 4.5 miles out and back. Last time was about 3 years ago. Today we took the “back way” which is only 2.5 miles. Great trail that mostly follows the creek. Has a few rock canyons the kids loved climbing around and a picturesque bridge to cross.

I’ve always come in the spring or summer and the falls are generally quite crowded. Today there was only one couple down there getting drone footage and they left after about 5 minutes of our arrival. Never had the place to ourselves before!73A108DC-F536-4BDF-84C6-29A19D6E3B10.jpeg79F13149-1C44-491C-B63D-91EFFD742C2E.jpeg0A0E7937-47F6-4822-995A-5C28E67B1BC3.jpegC0C91E45-8425-4FC1-89FE-CFC0B629B53F.jpeg

One of the most popular hikes in the area, Laurel Falls on the AT. I’ve been here 6-7 times but always from the “main trail” off the HWY which is about 4.5 miles out and back. Last time was about 3 years ago. Today we took the “back way” which is only 2.5 miles. Great trail that mostly follows the creek. Has a few rock canyons the kids loved climbing around and a picturesque bridge to cross.

I’ve always come in the spring or summer and the falls are generally quite crowded. Today there was only one couple down there getting drone footage and they left after about 5 minutes of our arrival. Never had the place to ourselves before!View attachment 329718View attachment 329721View attachment 329722View attachment 329723

I was there last week. I may have whizzed on that rock wall 😬😬😬

Anyone have merino wool recommendations for tops and bottoms that aren't 40$+? I need to buy 3 or 4 sets for a section hike next month.

I’ve always come in the spring or summer and the falls are generally quite crowded. Today there was only one couple down there getting drone footage and they left after about 5 minutes of our arrival. Never had the place to ourselves before!View attachment 329718View attachment 329721View attachment 329722View attachment 329723
In the GSNP? This doesn’t look like the Laurel Falls I know.

Mid Dec trip to Bays Mountain for the Lake Side trail 122D4045-88D6-450A-AB1F-AF3437C9F836.jpeg
Wanted to do Whitehouse Cliffs in Flag Pond day after Christmas in the snow but the road was closed so we did Nolichucky Ridge again since it was close...7FF3E7CE-4ED0-4B40-B86D-976E9427AB88.jpeg
But got to do Whitehouse Cliffs for first hike of the year on a nice 55° day...
E4041523-F5D5-44E2-8B59-4BDBA8F95E3E.jpeg

Anyone know of any local hiking clubs? I need to start getting out and meeting new people who like to hike.

Mid Dec trip to Bays Mountain for the Lake Side trail View attachment 336014
Wanted to do Whitehouse Cliffs in Flag Pond day after Christmas in the snow but the road was closed so we did Nolichucky Ridge again since it was close...View attachment 336016
But got to do Whitehouse Cliffs for first hike of the year on a nice 55° day...
View attachment 336019
Nice photos... the snow covered trail pic reminds me of the hike from Alum Cave to LaConte... icy and a heck of a trek back down. Fell off the trail over a 6 ft drop. Got hung up in the vines, bushes to break my fall. Good times on those winter hikes.

VN Store

Back