Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

I thought so. A really beautiful river valley. Its been a few years since they destroyed the dams there. I understand the salmon and steelhead are running up to spawn again. I used to have a place in Sequim. We would hike the Elwha trail once a year when we were in the area and catch some trout fly fishing. Did you catch any fish?

I thought so. A really beautiful river valley. Its been a few years since they destroyed the dams there. I understand the salmon and steelhead are running up to spawn again. I used to have a place in Sequim. We would hike the Elwha trail once a year when we were in the area and catch some trout fly fishing. Did you catch any fish?

Indeed. The salmon runs are back in full force, but we chose to leave them be as I already know how to manually fish and where to set a gill net and didn't want to disrupt anything.

Sequim is a nice, little town. We ate there before and after the trip.

Reactions: Danl
That looks like a great trip. Good on ya for doing the survival thing.

I would like to hike the Elwha again and see the difference. Its been a minute.

That looks like a great trip. Good on ya for doing the survival thing.

I would like to hike the Elwha again and see the difference. Its been a minute.

The ranger station and park look post-apocalyptic now. Lots of nature taking it back. It was pretty cool!

Reactions: Danl
Took a hike today... up to a lookout tower, 5 mile round trip. First mile or so was a oxygen sucker, and after that a lot of switch backs to ease the pain. First time I used poles to hike with, and they were awesome as I learned a little bit of pole push got me moving on uphill sections. Great day, as it was 33F when I started out and got to 37F. Sections of the trail were iced over and those poles save me a lot of possible pain on down hills.
This is a state park just outside of Kalispell, the view is looking east to the Rockies. I live a few miles from the base of those snow covered peaks. Such a beautiful area.
ARvme4t.jpg

Took a hike today... up to a lookout tower, 5 mile round trip. First mile or so was a oxygen sucker, and after that a lot of switch backs to ease the pain. First time I used poles to hike with, and they were awesome as I learned a little bit of pole push got me moving on uphill sections. Great day, as it was 33F when I started out and got to 37F. Sections of the trail were iced over and those poles save me a lot of possible pain on down hills.
This is a state park just outside of Kalispell, the view is looking east to the Rockies. I live a few miles from the base of those snow covered peaks. Such a beautiful area.
ARvme4t.jpg

I broke down and got some hiking poles this summer. Kicked myself for not doing it years ago.

and @NEVolFan

Which hiking poles did you get? We’ve started some trail walking, and I’ve got balance issues. I’ve started looking for poles.

I don’t remember the brand. I just got some “cheap” ones at a local outfitters for $25. I did do a little research before and it seemed like the consensus opinion was don’t spend a lot on poles for basic day hikes and such.

For backpacking and long distance hikes you can argue things about weight. how small the collapse, cork vs foam vs leather grips etc.

Mine have two collapsing sections. They aren’t heavy at all. Foam handle grips. I’m happy with them.

46 years ago, my hiking staff was made from a piece of hardened muscadine vine.

I don’t remember the brand. I just got some “cheap” ones at a local outfitters for $25. I did do a little research before and it seemed like the consensus opinion was don’t spend a lot on poles for basic day hikes and such.

For backpacking and long distance hikes you can argue things about weight. how small the collapse, cork vs foam vs leather grips etc.

Mine have two collapsing sections. They aren’t heavy at all. Foam handle grips. I’m happy with them.
@VolNExile this is good advice. I'm pretty sure we got ours at REI or Academy Sports, something of the like, but got cheap ones. They are easy to adjust and easy to use - when we do use them which is not often, really only for the really steep hikes or overgrown trails.

Thanks! I missed your reply until Windy quoted it.

That’s what I was hoping to hear, lol. Although the cheapest I’ve seen at REI is around $50. I’ll start watching for Christmas sales.

Reactions: BenGrimm
@VolNExile this is good advice. I'm pretty sure we got ours at REI or Academy Sports, something of the like, but got cheap ones. They are easy to adjust and easy to use - when we do use them which is not often, really only for the really steep hikes or overgrown trails.
Did you go through a lot of doo-dah to get the best length, or just adjust till they felt right?

Between my spinal arthritis and the abundant precip in the local mountains, I think poles are going to be pretty important for me.

—first time I ever saw them, they were being used indoors and around the hospital campus by a provider at the SF VA with multiple sclerosis.

Did you go through a lot of doo-dah to get the best length, or just adjust till they felt right?

Between my spinal arthritis and the abundant precip in the local mountains, I think poles are going to be pretty important for me.

—first time I ever saw them, they were being used indoors and around the hospital campus by a provider at the SF VA with multiple sclerosis.
Nope. Just find the height where it is comfortable, they are easy to adjust.

Kevin's dad has knee/leg issues; can't really recall, but it's been for years and he has a wobbly walk. If it's anything more than just walking around the house he uses hiking poles to get around just because of their ease to use and adjust!

Reactions: VolNExile
Buzzard Rock-Whitetop Mtn. Va
last weekend- 180-270 degree view from Buzzard Rock.
I could see to the Black Mountains
in NC to Galax Va. to the mountains bordering Virginia/Kentucky and
Virginia/West Virginia. On a clear day I believe you can possibly see 5 states.
Pond Mountain Game Reserve in NC is about 5 miles south of Whitetop Mountain. On this summit you can see 360 degrees which includes much of the same panorama as Whitetop Mountain.
Both Pond Mountain and Whitetop Mtn have large areas of natural balds at the summit.

Attachments

• 450F850E-FFDA-4E3E-A14F-A86A5E095F4D.jpeg
    450F850E-FFDA-4E3E-A14F-A86A5E095F4D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 3D9C13DF-7C67-49D0-AC71-6911CA4CF7F4.jpeg
    3D9C13DF-7C67-49D0-AC71-6911CA4CF7F4.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 4DFC5800-1D60-4F3C-8A2B-9A013A9762AA.jpeg
    4DFC5800-1D60-4F3C-8A2B-9A013A9762AA.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
  • A13A3B38-2B36-489A-BB8C-71F6EEE8A3BF.jpeg
    A13A3B38-2B36-489A-BB8C-71F6EEE8A3BF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 2ACC80F7-6C57-4934-B171-5150BA67AD10.jpeg
    2ACC80F7-6C57-4934-B171-5150BA67AD10.jpeg
    872.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 455FD66D-D15C-4A2D-A1F6-EB46734A3442.jpeg
    455FD66D-D15C-4A2D-A1F6-EB46734A3442.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Buzzard Rock-Whitetop Mtn. Va
last weekend- 180-270 degree view from Buzzard Rock.
I could see to the Black Mountains
in NC to Galax Va. to the mountains bordering Virginia/Kentucky and
Virginia/West Virginia. On a clear day I believe you can possibly see 5 states.
Pond Mountain Game Reserve in NC is about 5 miles south of Whitetop Mountain. On this summit you can see 360 degrees which includes much of the same panorama as Whitetop Mountain.
Both Pond Mountain and Whitetop Mtn have large areas of natural balds at the summit.
Pond Mountain looking northeast to Whitetop Mtn, Mt Rogers and Grayson Highlands State Park.

Attachments

• 1C0F77BD-EB89-4D81-8B89-7401C431591F.jpeg
    1C0F77BD-EB89-4D81-8B89-7401C431591F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 54D7043B-FED2-47DD-B343-E581C10A0FD2.jpeg
    54D7043B-FED2-47DD-B343-E581C10A0FD2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • B9E04003-8C78-4EC2-BC4F-5A952976BB97.jpeg
    B9E04003-8C78-4EC2-BC4F-5A952976BB97.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

VN Store

Back