Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

Marten-Rapid-McKenzie-River.jpg

IMG5990-M.jpg

As you most likely have read, we're battling wild fires of the worst kind here in Oregon. These two pictures are from the McKenzie River, a river I rowed for over 30 years, a river that my granddaughter was named after and finally, the river gorge that is currently the home to the HOLIDAY FARM FIRE. My heart aches at what we will find once we are allowed to go up this river again. Holiday Farm was a resort on the edge of the river, my wife and I spent several anniversaries there. Rafting and fly fishing our way down the river to celebrate our anniversary. This is the river where we've both said we want our ashes spread (yea, we're old), but this is our river and it's burning!!

Relax, that whole ecosystem naturally burns and actually thrives with fire. Will be a healthier forest than you've ever experienced within 2-3 years.

Relax, that whole ecosystem naturally burns and actually thrives with fire. Will be a healthier forest than you've ever experienced within 2-3 years.
I understand the concept you are talking about, but it's more like 15-20 years or more, I can show you pictures... 1600038658606.png

This is what the Waldo lake fire of 1996 looked like in 2012, that's 16 years, not 2-3 years.

I understand the concept you are talking about, but it's more like 15-20 years or more, I can show you pictures... View attachment 306306

This is what the Waldo lake fire of 1996 looked like in 2012, that's 16 years, not 2-3 years.
Those snags are awesome habitat for birds, and eventual bug food that matriculates up the food chain. It's not the most pleasant thing to look at - but that's what a lot of the rocky mountains and cascades looked like prior to euro settlement. Stay safe out there.

Rock Creek Falls in Erwin TN... All Trails list it as 4mi. I clocked 6.6 on my watch. First mile and half is a steady incline but not bad. I was just thinking how it was an easy ascent when it took a sharp incline. Kids were complaining the teail was “going on foreeeevvvveeerrrr”. But as always the end point always perks them up. This one had two falls to play in. It’s a fairly popular trail connected to a campground. We crossed several groups while going up but we lucked out and got both falls to ourselves. After eating lunch and play time kids were singing on the way back. Got caught in a pretty heavy rain shower too.
View attachment 306279View attachment 306280View attachment 306281View attachment 306282
Rain, huh?

Cut Throat, and Rainbow in the steam. That spot is a fav of fly fisherman.
Only been to Kalispell to get hammered for a Wedding.

Work used to fly folks there for sales training preceding my hire in 2016. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Caught my share of Cutts on Firehole and Snake.

Reactions: NEVolFan
I will take the heart and kidneys (if not more of the offal) from any ruminant that I harvest.

Spent the day in Glacier Nat Park... hike on Apgar Trail.
i9Terha.jpg

FcdJW23.jpg

And of course Lake McDonald...
2TpS1OX.jpg

Do you spend much time up around Bowman and/or Kintla Lakes in fall? We will be headed up there from the 10th-14th with the hopes of catching the larch on the west side of Glacier and Seeley Lake-Swan Valley, as well as Hungry Horse area, near peak.

Do you spend much time up around Bowman and/or Kintla Lakes in fall? We will be headed up there from the 10th-14th with the hopes of catching the larch on the west side of Glacier and Seeley Lake-Swan Valley, as well as Hungry Horse area, near peak.
Have not gone into either Bowman or Kintla... well worth the ride in (a bit rough), but the place should be beautiful and not many other folks around.

I will take the heart and kidneys (if not more of the offal) from any ruminant that I harvest.
it's a helluva cool thing to know how to pack in, track, choot, dress, then quarter each piece accordingly to how you will prepare in coming weeks and months. about as sustainable a life style as one could imagine.

not a bad idea to have garden either.

Nothing wild, but took my wife and daughter on their first ever camping trip this weekend. Stayed close to home in case they were miserable! If you’ve never stayed at Loyston Point in Norris, it’s well worth the trip. I miss backpacking stretches, but this was pretty solid!9FAC108A-237F-4807-9FBB-074847481713.jpeg355CC9B0-72AB-4476-AAB8-40F558D319EB.jpegF1681B3C-6B05-44C6-A219-3D87307CBD6F.jpeg

Last edited:
F830FF64-4DF3-4938-AE50-B1FAAE360D30.jpeg
My fav kind of fly fishing is freestone warmwater for smallmouth. Today was 2nd time in as many years, life calls.

French Broad in October. Water was 57 degrees, no upstream wind. Discolored from rain. Absolutely crazy. Not a soul on water. Beautiful weather, not a single silver flash in water. Not a single jump. No insect hatches.

Was mesmerized. Got skunked.

Either they ran downstream or Musky have taken over.

View attachment 312175
My fav kind of fly fishing is freestone warmwater for smallmouth. Today was 2nd time in as many years, life calls.

French Broad in October. Water was 57 degrees, no upstream wind. Discolored from rain. Absolutely crazy. Not a soul on water. Beautiful weather, not a single silver flash in water. Not a single jump. No insect hatches.

Was mesmerized. Got skunked.

Either they ran downstream or Musky have taken over.
Me and my dad used to drive over from Ky a lot and fish the French broad. We usually go when I'm up for Christmas, and I try to meet him once a year to fish there. It's his favorite place. We mostly crapoie and white bass fish though.

Me and my dad used to drive over from Ky a lot and fish the French broad. We usually go when I'm up for Christmas, and I try to meet him once a year to fish there. It's his favorite place. We mostly crapoie and white bass fish though.
On the river?

I've fly fished for smallmouth for 25 years. Don't usually get skunked for smallies. Trout on the other hand 🤪

This is the quintessential smallmouth river.

Nolichucky has been my home river during that time.

Fished Big Laurel & FB in HS with success. But, this new area several miles down is much larger, deeper, and wider. Would really be perfect for a jet boat. Tons of water to cover.

Based on what I read walleye and musky abound.

Any insight?

Reactions: joevol33
On the river?

I've fly fished for smallmouth for 25 years. Don't usually get skunked for smallies. Trout on the other hand 🤪

This is the quintessential smallmouth river.

Nolichucky has been my home river during that time.

Fished Big Laurel & FB in HS with success. But, this new area several miles down is much larger, deeper, and wider. Would really be perfect for a jet boat. Tons of water to cover.

Based on what I read walleye and musky abound.

Any insight?
FB_IMG_1591879090128.jpg
My dad caught this walleye over there last year. I wasn't with him that day, but wish I was. We go to a spot with an old train trussel, some place he calls "rankin bottom" if I'm saying it right. There's another spot you can actually see from the bridge on I40 that passes over the river near Newport. We go in on some backroad, and you can see the bridge from where we walk out to fish. That's in December when the water is down enough.

VN Store

Back