Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

Googlientist
B01C5C7A-0C59-4E7D-8291-F8B359522E59.jpeg
Post newt, 3/5 of the fam exploring trail around Clark's Creek in Unicoi. Parking area to Still Branch & Pine Ridge Falls trail was packed to brim. We found this 'primitive' trail to what I can only assume is the overgrown, now multi purpose Buckeye Falls trail.

As a fly fisherman, I appreciated the brook trout & undisturbed pools. The only real foot traffic up here are spirited folks. This is mainly for horses.

Its about 4.5 mi to Grassy Ridge Bald and back. Pretty decent elevation gain but you go up then down then up again 3 times over 3 balds which gets a little challenging for little legs. We just went a little past Jane Bald (2nd Bald). Even just going to the first bald has gorgeous 360 views. TN on the left. NC on the right.
Have you hiked Grayson Hiighlands? You can see north to Virginia and the state park from some of the balds.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenGrimm
Have you hiked Grayson Hiighlands? You can see north to Virginia and the state park from some of the balds.

We went there the day of the Miss St game last fall. Saw the ponies but it was a terribly foggy day so not any nice views for us. But it was nice to get back to cell reception and find out we had won an SEC game 😁

We do plan to go back sometime this year for better weather.

We went there the day of the Miss St game last fall. Saw the ponies but it was a terribly foggy day so not any nice views for us. But it was nice to get back to cell reception and find out we had won an SEC game 😁

Would be cool to do a weekend in Damascus.

Or, you knooow (I'd) we'd love to do a weekend in Hot Springs. If only we knew people that liked to camp? (You been invited 10,000 times).

I have been wanting to go in the last few weeks but we are in an endless cycle of afternoon thunderstorms. I’m not going to drive 1.25 hours to hike in 5000 ft open areas with rain and lightning. Looks like the same weather pattern is forecasted for the next 7 to 10 days.

I have been wanting to go in the last few weeks but we are in an endless cycle of afternoon thunderstorms. I’m not going to drive 1.25 hours to hike in 5000 ft open areas with rain and lightning. Looks like the same weather pattern is forecasted for the next 7 to 10 days.
This time of year, you can bank on it

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
360 views on Wilburn Ridge and the wild ponies are a unique bonus. I have been 3 times this year.
How's the parking? We get to our hiking spots pretty early so we haven't had a problem this year, only a couple times with places with very small lots we have been taking one of the last spots.

How's the parking? We get to our hiking spots pretty early so we haven't had a problem this year, only a couple times with places with very small lots we have been taking one of the last spots.
They turned people away one day soon after they set a 75 car limit in March/April. I believe the limit has been removed but there are warnings on the website that you cannot park on the grass at Massie Gap and have to go to another area of the park. Weekends are likely crowded.

Reactions: volwindy
They turned people away one day soon after they set a 75 car limit in March/April. I believe the limit has been removed but there are warnings on the website that you cannot park on the grass at Massie Gap and have to go to another area of the park. Weekends are likely crowded.

I recall a pretty long parking lot which was semi full the day we went with less than good weather. I can imagine it gets pretty full on nice days.

I recall a pretty long parking lot which was semi full the day we went with less than good weather. I can imagine it gets pretty full on nice days.

I notice a lot of places get full earlier with the limited capacities in place. We don't mind since we like to get started earlier anyways, but a lot of time when we are leaving we have seen park rangers turning away people.

Was in Butler yesterday. Partly cloudy skies. 20% chance of rain. 😬 yyyeaah, cats & dogs.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
View attachment 295529
Post newt, 3/5 of the fam exploring trail around Clark's Creek in Unicoi. Parking area to Still Branch & Pine Ridge Falls trail was packed to brim. We found this 'primitive' trail to what I can only assume is the overgrown, now multi purpose Buckeye Falls trail.

As a fly fisherman, I appreciated the brook trout & undisturbed pools. The only real foot traffic up here are spirited folks. This is mainly for horses.

Tried to find buckeye falls a few times, CNF said it was the highest falls east of the Mississippi. Any luck?

4A1ABC7C-DD32-4FCD-8276-5B60CC768CDD.jpeg
13.61 miles into my ride, today, blew out the rear tire. Walked 1/2 mile to a market with shade trees outside and am waiting for my fellow riders to return to the vehicles and come get me.

View attachment 296973
13.61 miles into my ride, today, blew out the rear tire. Walked 1/2 mile to a market with shade trees outside and am waiting for my fellow riders to return to the vehicles and come get me.
Darn Tin.. You went all in on that tire. I feel like I only half tailed it yesterday by puncturing my rear tube. Slid around corner on some sand while getting onto Pinellas Trail and picked up a 2 inch thorn in rear wheel.

Darn Tin.. You went all in on that tire. I feel like I only half tailed it yesterday by puncturing my rear tube. Slid around corner on some sand while getting onto Pinellas Trail and picked up a 2 inch thorn in rear wheel.
Bad luck.

VN Store

Back