Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

Um, finger mullet are bait. The mullet netted, smoked, and eaten on the southeastern coast average ~12" nose to tail.

best backcountry camping in Big South Fork? Done Honey Creek, Burnt Mill and the twin arches, looking for something new.

Spent yesterday at Grayson Highlands State Park in VA. Nice place that has several trails that intersect with the AT. Weather forecast the night before said partly cloudy with high of 68. Ended up being completely overcast and closer to 60 with Some chilly wind gusts. We still had a great time. Kids were excited to see the wild ponies just hanging around.

Will definitely go back when weather is a nicer. The ponies are a big attraction. Despite the weather it was still a little crowded. 9A5138A4-C77C-487A-93A7-B35A518A6C4D.jpeg

Attachments

• 58AF80D0-E604-4E4F-8F41-D0014F9DA4E5.jpeg
    58AF80D0-E604-4E4F-8F41-D0014F9DA4E5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
View attachment 231111
A little different kind of outdoors. We’ve been doing downtown hikes. With stops at our favorite watering holes of course. This in front of Post Modern Spirits in the Old City, Knoxville.
#urbanhiking
Great idea.

I've spent a lot of time in Tokyo and used to do the same thing...get up early and start walking. Only thing needed on the hike is money to cover eats and drinks.

Great idea.

I've spent a lot of time in Tokyo and used to do the same thing...get up early and start walking. Only thing needed on the hike is money to cover eats and drinks.
Yessir. Last Sunday we parked down at the riverfront by Neyland. Walked through the worlds fair park all the way to Sweet Peas. Had lunch, walked down Jackson to Gay, over to Market Square and back.

Reactions: TAZVOL75
Spent yesterday at Grayson Highlands State Park in VA. Nice place that has several trails that intersect with the AT. Weather forecast the night before said partly cloudy with high of 68. Ended up being completely overcast and closer to 60 with Some chilly wind gusts. We still had a great time. Kids were excited to see the wild ponies just hanging around.

Will definitely go back when weather is a nicer. The ponies are a big attraction. Despite the weather it was still a little crowded. View attachment 231108
Do you carry any type of protection when your out with your kids hiking ?

No but I have been considering it lately. There was a loon on the AT near where we live who attacked some hikers with a machete a few months ago.

My son is 6 now and I'm wanting to start taking him out and hiking some. My biggest fear is to run into an animal or someone with bad intentions and not be prepared.

That's why I asked, just to get your thoughts on the matter.

My son is 6 now and I'm wanting to start taking him out and hiking some. My biggest fear is to run into an animal or someone with bad intentions and not be prepared.

It’s a legit concern. I worry less about animals as they tend to avoid people when they hear you coming. And trust me, my kids aren’t sneaking up annnnyone LOL

But people on some of the less traveled trails is certainly something I think about.

Reactions: Jackcrevol

If you're in the Eastern part of the US you won't really need to worry about animals. Humans on the other hand are a different story. Carry any protection you feel is necessary. Always carry some type of knife

Reactions: joevol33
If you're in the Eastern part of the US you won't really need to worry about animals. Humans on the other hand are a different story. Carry any protection you feel is necessary. Always carry some type of knife

East Tenn, but I have a buddy that hikes a lot and he walked up on a mama bear and her cub once. He backed out the way he came in and took a wide berth around them with no trouble. But I fear the human predator more than anything else.

I would have a knife and my pistol for sure. I couldnt take any chances with the safety of my son.

East Tenn, but I have a buddy that hikes a lot and he walked up on a mama bear and her cub once. He backed out the way he came in and took a wide berth around them with no trouble. But I fear the human predator more than anything else.

I would have a knife and my pistol for sure. I couldnt take any chances with the safety of my son.
That's how i feel.

Reactions: goldenvol

VN Store

Back