Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

Had planned on going to devil's bathtub in Virginia but the wife got sick

Spent 5 days at The Homestead in Hot Springs, VA. Here are a couple of waterfall pics from the Cascades Gorge Trail there. It's about a 3-4 mile hike in the middle of the Allegheny Mountains that goes by 12-13 waterfalls. The unique thing about this hike through this area is that it is down deep in a gorge, and the area around this cascade system is considered to be a rain-forest. A sub-tropical micro-climate in... Virginia.

CGT1.jpgCGT2.jpg

I also played golf (shot 78. Would have shot 74 if I didn't finish bogey, bogey, double bogey) on one of the oldest courses in America and the 1st tee is the oldest continuous use 1st teebox in America. The wife did archery and zip lined while I was golfing and we also went to a falconry demonstration one night

If you ever get the chance to go to The Homestead, I would highly recommend it. There is so much to do there and the scenery is fantastic. I've been to The Greenbrier and loved it too, but the overall experience at The Homestead was a little better than The Greenbrier. The golf was better at the Greenbrier though.

Love that area. Used to live in Syracuse and hiking in Ithaca and the Southern Tier was one of my favorite things. If you haven't been, Take a trip to Letchworth State Park. It's in the western part of NY south of Rochester. Amazing gorge system with beautiful huge cascading waterfalls. I think it is one of the most picturesque state parks I have ever been to.

Love that area. Used to live in Syracuse and hiking in Ithaca and the Southern Tier was one of my favorite things. If you haven't been, Take a trip to Letchworth State Park. It's in the western part of NY south of Rochester. Amazing gorge system with beautiful huge cascading waterfalls. I think it is one of the most picturesque state parks I have ever been to.
That was our first stop of the day. Made it there, Taughannock, Watkins Glen, Robert Treman, and Buttermilk parks, only to see the waterfalls. Would have liked to hike more, but we only had a day in that area and I wanted to see each place.

DSC08830.JPG

Here are a few pics I took this weekend at Camp Creek Bald/Firescald Knob in Greene County. It’s an easy hike on the AT with some pretty spectacular views.
wrC1N48.jpg
yfno43u.jpg

Last edited:
Heading to Banff in February. Can’t wait!

Going to do some skiing? Sunshine Village is fantastic, so is Lake Louise. Make sure and go to breakfast at the Chateau Lake Louise. We also did a snowmobiling trip I out of Canmore. The ice fields parkway is nice as well.

Reactions: flatiron
Going to do some skiing? Sunshine Village is fantastic, so is Lake Louise. Make sure and go to breakfast at the Chateau Lake Louise. We also did a snowmobiling trip I out of Canmore. The ice fields parkway is nice as well.

My wife has a work conference there at the Fairmont so I’m tagging along. We’re going up a few days early to do some stuff, then I’m going to hang around while she’s working and try to get some snowshoeing/hiking in. Thanks for the suggestions. Any trails or other activities you’d recommend us checking out?

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
My wife has a work conference there at the Fairmont so I’m tagging along. We’re going up a few days early to do some stuff, then I’m going to hang around while she’s working and try to get some snowshoeing/hiking in. Thanks for the suggestions. Any trails or other activities you’d recommend us checking out?

The Banff Springs hotel is fabulous, you guys are in for a treat. It has about 800 rooms a dozen restaurants and is well over 100 years old. We ate at its German restaurant and it was great. Give me a few days to find my maps and information. We hiked to a frozen waterfall that was nearby and watched ice climbers. I really want to go back there, I am now jealous.

Reactions: flatiron
The trip up that hillside wore me out and We were in a car.
Did you make it to Pompei?
Yes. Our first day on our bike trip was to new Pompeii. We toured the old city ruins with an excellent guide. At the urging of those present, I sang a stanza of New York, New York in the theater with amazing acoustics (I modified the lyrics, singing of "Old Pompeii" :p).

The Banff Springs hotel is fabulous, you guys are in for a treat. It has about 800 rooms a dozen restaurants and is well over 100 years old. We ate at its German restaurant and it was great. Give me a few days to find my maps and information. We hiked to a frozen waterfall that was nearby and watched ice climbers. I really want to go back there, I am now jealous.

Thanks for the info. We’re pretty excited about going. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. It being February will probably limit some of what we can do, but I’d still like to get out and explore a little while we can. It’s definitely going to be a different hiking experience compared to what I’m used to around here.

VN Store

Back