Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

Was playing a course in SoCal once when we got to a tee and a coyote was lying in the high grass by the cart path right across from the tee box. Probably not much more than 20 feet away from where we’d be teeing off. When we got out he just laid there like he didn’t care and all he did was when each of us hit our shot his head would raise up as he watched and followed the flight of the ball. Then he’d lie there and wait for the next one. Damnedest thing.

We played a Mountain corse in Crossville Tennessee once called Briarwood. (Not sure it still exists). The holes are spaced out. While coming out of the woods approaching the next tee we stopped because there was a black bear taking a crap on the tee box. My Dad said “well that answers the age old question “. I said “what?” He said “does a bear **** in the woods......not always.....sometimes it is on a tee box”.

But I digress

We played a Mountain corse in Crossville Tennessee once called Briarwood. (Not sure it still exists). The holes are spaced out. While coming out of the woods approaching the next tee we stopped because there was a black bear taking a crap on the tee box. My Dad said “well that answers the age old question “. I said “what?” He said “does a bear **** in the woods......not always.....sometimes it is on a tee box”.

But I digress
Skimmed over this word and had to do a double take... Other than that funny story

Skimmed over this word and had to do a double take... Other than that funny story

Yes lysdexia sux.
It happens all the time with me. I’ve been around long enough that most just ignore it and move on.

Edit: I’m just happy when autocorrect keeps it close.

I wouldn't go swimming in Gator infested waters, but I can't tell you how many times I have played my ball within a club length of a sunning gator at East Bay golf course 😁

When I was young I would see the beware of gator signs on courses in the panhandle, fortunately I never saw one.

Was playing a course in SoCal once when we got to a tee and a coyote was lying in the high grass by the cart path right across from the tee box. Probably not much more than 20 feet away from where we’d be teeing off. When we got out he just laid there like he didn’t care and all he did was when each of us hit our shot his head would raise up as he watched and followed the flight of the ball. Then he’d lie there and wait for the next one. Damnedest thing.

Was playing in Wyoming and as we approached our second shots a fox took my buddies ball. We were chasing him around trying to get him to drop the ball, but he was having none of that.

Coyote did the same thing one time on that same course that I mentioned I used to see gators on all the time. East Bay golf course in Largo Florida. We used to play there at least twice a month.

Was playing in Wyoming and as we approached our second shots a fox took my buddies ball. We were chasing him around trying to get him to drop the ball, but he was having none of that.

That is awesome 😁 I would have loved to see that. Where were you playing in Wyoming?

That is awesome 😁 I would have loved to see that. Where were you playing in Wyoming?

I wish I could remember exactly. We went to an out of the way course we had not played. Could have been Star Valley, Pinedale, I just don't remember.

I did play the Pines and Jackson Hole Golf & Tennis a fair amount, preferred Golf & tennis. Also, there was a great muni in Rexburg Idaho that we played often. There was a summer or two we drove over there weekly.

Reactions: 1 person
I wish I could remember exactly. We went to an out of the way course we had not played. Could have been Star Valley, Pinedale, I just don't remember.

I did play the Pines and Jackson Hole Golf & Tennis a fair amount, preferred Golf & tennis. Also, there was a great muni in Rexburg Idaho that we played often. There was a summer or two we drove over there weekly.

Did you ever play the Arnold Palmer designed course in Jackson Hole? I can't remember the name. I've always wanted to play the JH G&T just for the views 😁 I'm jealous.

The course I saw in Dubois looked beautiful among all those multi colored hills.

Edit: Doh!..I just reread your post..it is The Pines. One time we were there in mid June 2011, and that course was flooded really bad.

Last edited:
Slice have you ever seen carp on Chickamauga creek?

I have not.

Unrelated story.
My kids wrestled in high school. Their coach is in the family that owns lake winnapasoka. (Or however that’s spelled). I’ve begged them to let me put my kayak in and get pictures fly fishing with the coaster in the background. So far the answer has been no but I was asked what I would fish with.

Popcorn fly. Duh.

I have not.

Unrelated story.
My kids wrestled in high school. Their coach is in the family that owns lake winnapasoka. (Or however that’s spelled). I’ve begged them to let me put my kayak in and get pictures fly fishing with the coaster in the background. So far the answer has been no but I was asked what I would fish with.

Popcorn fly. Duh.

I’ve seen flies that are made to look like bread or dog food to catch carp. I don’t know how you would land a lot of those fish at lake Winnie. Many look like they’d run 50lbs or more.

It would be cool if they would let you fish in the off season.

I’ve seen flies that are made to look like bread or dog food to catch carp. I don’t know how you would land a lot of those fish at lake Winnie. Many look like they’d run 50lbs or more.

It would be cool if they would let you fish in the off season.

I’ve been there with coach before the place opened. The carp stay on bottom till the lights come on. While the lights are off the blue gill and bass will come up for French frys. There are some real monsters in there. I’ve argued that there could be a world record blue gill in there......the answer.....”you’re not fishing here, Slice.” Lol

First time I’ve done the Creeper Trail in VA. Did 18miles from Whitetop Station to Damascus. My 7 and 5 year old boys did great.

We had a big group and the older cousins wanted to take off. Would like to go just us next time and take in some of the stops off the trail.

Attachments

• BDCEDEA6-3AC7-459C-AAE6-D6B2AD0C1425.jpg
    BDCEDEA6-3AC7-459C-AAE6-D6B2AD0C1425.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 37B53A56-4BF4-4EE6-B1DB-D0F8EA448BD1.jpg
    37B53A56-4BF4-4EE6-B1DB-D0F8EA448BD1.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 5 people
First time I’ve done the Creeper Trail in VA. Did 18miles from Whitetop Station to Damascus. My 7 and 5 year old boys did great.

We had a big group and the older cousins wanted to take off. Would like to go just us next time and take in some of the stops off the trail.

That is a beautiful ride in the fall. I did it several times when i lived in JC.

You had nicer weather when we went! The one time I went it was raining and we basically had a nice mud bath.

You had nicer weather when we went! The one time I went it was raining and we basically had a nice mud bath.

Well we had planned to go on Saturday but the weather report said 80% chance of thunderstorms so we backed out. Then it turned out to be a beautiful day with nothing but blue skies and mid 70 temps.

My brother in law was in town with two of his kids from FL and they had brought their bikes specifically to ride the Creeper. So we decided to mostly ignore the weather report on Sunday and drive up there.

It was pouring rain on the drive up. We almost backed out again. By the time we got off the shuttle it was more of a drizzle so we took off. About and hour in the rain had pretty much stopped and we actually got some sunshine about an hour after that. The trail was pretty muddy but still a beautiful ride.

Paddled the Caney Friday (no generators running all day) from the dam to Betty's Island. Ran into a bachelorette party about 1/2 mile in and that made the day quite interesting. Sorry no pics.

Reactions: 1 person

Me and my wife want to do this sometime. We like to go up to Greyson Highlands state park and hike, and we always follow all those buses driving bikers up to the drop off spot on the way. I love that drive around Mt Rogers national recreation area.

VN Store

Back