Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

I've never been to Lookout Mtn in NC. Just the one in Chattanooga. I'll have to check it out. I love the Old Fort area and the Black Mountains.

Man it was gorgeous Saturday. That was a tough hike the course that we did. The trail to the top of Moore's Knob was insane. Hike leader said that we did it the "wrong way" to make it harder lol. And it was. What a burn.

We did Stone Mountain a couple of weeks ago (awesome!) are doing the Crowder's Ridgeline trail next week (16 mi.) and Doughton Park the week after (20 mi.). Ramping up our distances to get ready for the Make-A-Wish 28 miler in May (I still need donations VolNation!!). :)

2019 Trailblaze Challenge - Charlotte, NC: Mr. Matthew Green - Make-A-Wish Foundation

Lookout is a very quick uphill climb with some rock scrambling. We only went there and decided to do some other trails in the area, but when we go back on a clear day, I want to continue on to Rattlesnake Mountain and there was another one it connects with as well, can't recall at the moment.

Stone mountain is great, we have taken a number of family members there as it is a quick drive from Charlotte and a relatively easy hike (at least for your average hiker). Crowders Mountain to me is boring now, just because I've done it so many times and the views, well...there are so many better views if you are willing to go a little further to other places, but I get the ease in going there. Doughton was alright. So if you haven't done Crowders or Doughton, both will be a breeze compared to Hanging Rock, with Crowders being a little more difficult, imo

I think if I follow your path correctly, you guys go the same direction up to Moore's Knob as we always do, we just start at a different point which allows us to get the climb out of the way.

Lookout is a very quick uphill climb with some rock scrambling. We only went there and decided to do some other trails in the area, but when we go back on a clear day, I want to continue on to Rattlesnake Mountain and there was another one it connects with as well, can't recall at the moment.

Stone mountain is great, we have taken a number of family members there as it is a quick drive from Charlotte and a relatively easy hike (at least for your average hiker). Crowders Mountain to me is boring now, just because I've done it so many times and the views, well...there are so many better views if you are willing to go a little further to other places, but I get the ease in going there. Doughton was alright. So if you haven't done Crowders or Doughton, both will be a breeze compared to Hanging Rock, with Crowders being a little more difficult, imo

I think if I follow your path correctly, you guys go the same direction up to Moore's Knob as we always do, we just start at a different point which allows us to get the climb out of the way.

Yeah Stone Mountain was fabulous. First time I had been there. I can't wait to go back.

I've done every trail forwards and backwards multiple times at Crowders/Kings mtns. But I still love the Ridgeline trail. Love. It. I don't know why. Something about that 16 miles is just a lot of fun.

Did you go up the rock stairs at Hanging Rock? That is the way they took us. I absolutely hate steps or stairs on a mountain lol. Kills my knees faster than anything (bad knees, was a catcher for 20+ years). We didn't hit the stairs until about mile 6 or so of our hike, which made it a bit tougher lol.

Yeah Stone Mountain was fabulous. First time I had been there. I can't wait to go back.

I've done every trail forwards and backwards multiple times at Crowders/Kings mtns. But I still love the Ridgeline trail. Love. It. I don't know why. Something about that 16 miles is just a lot of fun.

Did you go up the rock stairs at Hanging Rock? That is the way they took us. I absolutely hate steps or stairs on a mountain lol. Kills my knees faster than anything (bad knees, was a catcher for 20+ years). We didn't hit the stairs until about mile 6 or so of our hike, which made it a bit tougher lol.

Yes. We hit that right away and then head over to Hanging Rock and the falls.

How did you get into the Make-A-Wish hike? I was trying to look into it, but each site is kind of vague. I do love that area of hiking in SC, was thinking about heading that way on Saturday.

Yes. We hit that right away and then head over to Hanging Rock and the falls.

How did you get into the Make-A-Wish hike? I was trying to look into it, but each site is kind of vague. I do love that area of hiking in SC, was thinking about heading that way on Saturday.
I got pulled into it with a team at work. There are 3 of us on our team. I'll send you a link if you're interested. :)

Finally getting around to posting a couple of pics from my trip to Banff in February. Temps ranged between -5 and -30 F. It was beautiful though, just required a few extra layers! This pics are from Sunshine Meadows on the Alberta/BC border looking over Sunshine Meadow, Rock Isle Lake and Mt. Assiniboine Provincial Park.
6yYtatA.jpg

zomS2rY.jpg

Finally getting around to posting a couple of pics from my trip to Banff in February. Temps ranged between -5 and -30 F. It was beautiful though, just required a few extra layers! This pics are from Sunshine Meadows on the Alberta/BC border looking over Sunshine Meadow, Rock Isle Lake and Mt. Assiniboine Provincial Park.

Man, that looks like one of the funnest playgrounds in the world!

Man, that looks like one of the funnest playgrounds in the world!

It was great. Went solo snowshoeing there. It’s on the backside of the Sunshine Ski Resort and sits about at about 7,500 feet and is only like 20 minutes outside of Banff. My wife had a work trip to I tagged along. We ended up snowmobiling one day and then I had three straight days to go hiking. Even with the Polar Vortex and temps never going above 0 F, it was an amazing experience. I’ll try to post a couple more pics from the other hikes I went in later

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Here are a few from Johnston Canyon in the Banff National Park. This place is usually packed, but the super cold temps kept a lot of the tourists away. Would love to go back and see this place once it’s all thawed out. The big frozen waterfall with the ice climbers is Upper Johnstson Canyon Falls.
DX67Aqm.jpg

4EGwMtb.jpg

XHR0S8q.jpg

OaNBL53.jpg

Here we go. Last round of pics from Banff. Took these on Tunnel Mountain, a roughly 5,500 foot mountain that is dwarfed by the peaks surrounding it. This trail is pretty much right in the middle of Banff, and on warmer days is the most hiked mountain in Canada. I think I only saw two other people there the day I went though. The last pic is from our hotel, the Fairmont Banff Springs. That place was something else.

Od5JZsG.jpg

y0FO4LJ.jpg

bmpGae9.jpg

r46voWM.jpg

gv5dcIK.jpg

jkmXMzP.jpg

NliKR27.jpg

Here we go. Last round of pics from Banff. Took these on Tunnel Mountain, a roughly 5,500 foot mountain that is dwarfed by the peaks surrounding it. This trail is pretty much right in the middle of Banff, and on warmer days is the most hiked mountain in Canada. I think I only saw two other people there the day I went though. The last pic is from our hotel, the Fairmont Banff Springs. That place was something else.

Od5JZsG.jpg

y0FO4LJ.jpg

bmpGae9.jpg

r46voWM.jpg

gv5dcIK.jpg

jkmXMzP.jpg

NliKR27.jpg
Used to travel quite a bit to Calgary and would tack on a weekend or a few days and stay at the fairmont. Do yourself a favor and try to get back in sept before the snow but after tourist season.... also awesome in the early fall. Btw coldest place I’ve ever been skiiing. Utah Colorado and Wyoming are like Carib vacations compared. Alcohol skiing and -20 don’t mix and I have friends with frostbite to prove it lol.

Reactions: flatiron

Od5JZsG.jpg

y0FO4LJ.jpg

bmpGae9.jpg

r46voWM.jpg

gv5dcIK.jpg

jkmXMzP.jpg

NliKR27.jpg

Yikes! So sad.

Three world-class climbers presumed dead in Canadian avalanche

Howse Peak in Banff.

My mother lives in western NC. Always try to hit Whiteside Mountain.
She’s 81 and will still hike it with me if the weather is really good.

Attachments

• F50B4EE8-6417-47C7-8CB1-9B515948435E.jpeg
    F50B4EE8-6417-47C7-8CB1-9B515948435E.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 3EEE37E9-0883-4871-8F0B-3D3F44FA1AC4.jpeg
    3EEE37E9-0883-4871-8F0B-3D3F44FA1AC4.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 5
  • FEE3ED4F-0D3D-42CB-B8CE-758C12744ABA.jpeg
    FEE3ED4F-0D3D-42CB-B8CE-758C12744ABA.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 78AC2FF8-6DA3-4509-B6B3-E3243A78EABA.jpeg
    78AC2FF8-6DA3-4509-B6B3-E3243A78EABA.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 4
Beautiful, how long is the hike? Looks like it is 3 hrs from us
It’s probably a mile or so from the parking lot up to the top/viewing area. Not far, moderate hike. You can continue on around the loop and come back out via an old logging road or go back down the way you came up. Sits between the towns of Highlands and Cashiers. Two really neat towns to stay in for the weekend.

It’s probably a mile or so from the parking lot up to the top/viewing area. Not far, moderate hike. You can continue on around the loop and come back out via an old logging road or go back down the way you came up. Sits between the towns of Highlands and Cashiers. Two really neat towns to stay in for the weekend.
That looks great! Need to check it out.

VN Store

Back