Highest paid coaches

Explain last year with Kennedy Chandler then.
No excuses, here. We blew an opportunity. We had no answer for a 7-1 center who put up 27 and 11 on us. Simply having a really good PG isn't the secret sauce for winning in the postseason, but it certainly helps, and we had no one last week who is a natural PG.

If we had Kennedy Chandler against FAU, I think we win that game going away. He could penetrate the lane like none of other guards could, which forced us to settle for jumpers. Nkamhoua pulled his typical Houdini act after blowing Duke up, and without him winning in the paint, our lack of ball-drivers is further exposed.

Can you really be honest with yourself and say we should have done more with our current roster than the Sweet 16? Take the the teams out of it, and simply consider the result, do you think minus Zeigler that this team underachieved by not advancing further than the S16?

I'm willing to concede that last year's team underachieving. I can't say that about this year's bunch.

No excuses, here. We blew an opportunity. We had no answer for a 7-1 center who put up 27 and 11 on us. Simply having a really good PG isn't the secret sauce for winning in the postseason, but it certainly helps, and we had no one last week who is a natural PG.

If we had Kennedy Chandler against FAU, I think we win that game going away. He could penetrate the lane like none of other guards could, which forced us to settle for jumpers. Nkamhoua pulled his typical Houdini act after blowing Duke up, and without him winning in the paint, our lack of ball-drivers is further exposed.

Can you really be honest with yourself and say we should have done more with our current roster than the Sweet 16? Take the the teams out of it, and simply consider the result, do you think minus Zeigler that this team underachieved by not advancing further than the S16?

I'm willing to concede that last year's team underachieving. I can't say that about this year's bunch.

Barnes pattern as a whole is the larger concern to me. This year’s team advanced one game longer because I didn’t expect them to beat Duke. Last year’s team should’ve made the SS at the worst.

Reactions: VolNash17
Barnes pattern as a whole is the larger concern to me. This year’s team advanced one game longer because I didn’t expect them to beat Duke. Last year’s team should’ve made the SS at the worst.
You'll get no argument from me. So my question is why is the S16 not enough, for some fans, this year?

You'll get no argument from me. So my question is why is the S16 not enough, for some fans, this year?

Built up frustration from years past is my guess. They probably believe what I believe—no matter the seed or path to have a deep run in the tournament, Barnes isn’t the guy to get it done. It’s been my sentiment since the buzzer sounded against Loyola Chicago.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of FAU. Let's review: they beat #8 seed Memphis, #1 seed Purdue, #4 seed Tenn, & #3 seed KS St. And they have only lost 3 games this whole year. I think there may be more to Tennessee's loss than merely Tennessee's "poor effort." FAU is proving that this team deserves to be in the Final Four.

They did not beat Purdue, you're not even the first person to post that. I'm not sure why so many people seem to think they did. Each team they've beaten has glaring issues, especially before KSU. Memphis has a terrible coach who has shown little ability to change the outcome on game day. FDU was a #16 who didn't even win their tournament. Our offensive issues are very well known. KSU was a hodgepodge of talent that were major overachievers and had a massive turnaround. They were a dream match for us too. They reminded me of Pearl's first team.

We got dominated on the glass and that's where the game was lost. Rebounds are about effort and the guys on our team, embarrassing as it is to admit, said they wanted it more.

We were a popular final four pick most of the season until the late collapse. We let another great bracket opportunity slip by. FAU won based on effort and great coaching to get open shots. We lost due to poor effort and what is clearly a major deficit on the offensive side of the ball that we all know needed fixed last year. We had way too many late clock desperation shots away from the paint for a team with such a height and strength advantage. Kansas State was a great match up for us too. They were major overachievers during the season and in the tournament just waiting to run into a defense like ours. Especially after the energy they had to spend to beat Michigan State. Losses like this are extra painful because of the match ups we were looking at. Even the final four match ups would have been about as good as you could ask for.

So ridiculous. We didn’t lose because of “poor effort.” We lost the same way we lost many games over the last half of the season…player’s being tentative and not taking open shots…and then missing the shots they did take. Offensive ability was the problem. Not effort.

If these issues had magically appeared in this game, I guess all of the arm-chair coaches’ assertions of “choking, quitting, not wanting it bad enough, poor effort, etc.” might have some merit. But these issues didn’t magically appear…they have been on full display for many weeks.

Be thankful for the win over Duke. This team overachieved to get that.

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
So ridiculous. We didn’t lose because of “poor effort.” We lost the same way we lost many games over the last half of the season…player’s being tentative and not taking open shots…and then missing the shots they did take. Offensive ability was the problem. Not effort.

If these issues had magically appeared in this game, I guess all of the arm-chair coaches’ assertions of “choking, quitting, not wanting it bad enough, poor effort, etc.” might have some merit. But these issues didn’t magically appear…they have been on full display for many weeks.

Be thankful for the win over Duke. This team overachieved to get that.

We were absolutely dominated on the glass by a smaller team and that was the difference in the game. They made effort plays and we didn't. JJJ admitted that they wanted it more, aka gave more effort.

Reactions: Tnphil
Do you work in a profession more competitive than coaching major college basketball?

An employee in "the real world" who makes that kind of money gets a golden parachute after he's raided his company's assets for a short-term boost in the stock price.

Really? So a coach that makes that kind of money chokes his girlfriend and hires prostitutes? Since it has happened at the CEO level before, and it has happened at the coaching level before, then it is the standard now? Some of you make absolutely idiotic posts.

So many other teams make the final four with way less talent and unproven coaches yet y'all still come up with every excuse under the sun to defend Barnes.

I don’t know why this debate continues on. I’m contributing to it by responding, of course, but Rick Barnes is a great regular season coach. He unquestionably struggles in the tournament. Every great coach has some disappointing results in the single elimination tournament, but Barnes keeps having them happen. I don’t want to get rid of Barnes and I don’t know who we would replace him with that is definitively an upgrade. But it’s undeniable that he regularly underachieves when it counts the most.
It’s pretty undeniable that almost all the golden cow coaches regularly underachieve in the tournament. It’s the nature of a sport that only crowns one national champion.

It’s pretty undeniable that almost all the golden cow coaches regularly underachieve in the tournament. It’s the nature of a sport that only crowns one national champion.
Almost all do, from time-to-time. The repeated underachieving is the issue.

These are your highest paid coaches in college basketball. And none of these guys are still coaching in the NCAA Tournament. It is particularly absurd what Coach Cal is making. Makes one wonder if coaching in this game is overrated these days.

View attachment 543238

I am surprised by the large disparity in pay between Calipari and Self.

VN Store

Back