high school sports question

Albert Davis ... mid '60s, Alcoa, all (ALL) sports and All-American in football/basketball
Ron Widby ... early '60s, Fulton, also multiple All-American in multiple sports

Widby is arguably the most versatile state athlete to play both in H.S. and in college. He played basketball and punted in football at U.T. and also lettered in golf and baseball, being the last four sport letterman at U.T. Widby also was a four sport letterman at Fulton High School, in bb, football, baseball, and golf. Very versatile.

Randall Cobb for me..I never understood how in the world he didn't become a Vol..

I agree with Cobb. And I was told by some Alcoa folks Tennessee never made him a priority. I have also heard he might be somehow related to Brandon Warren. If true, that might explain it.

Last edited:
Some of the best football players I played against.
Eric Westmoreland- Marion Co. Was also a talented baseball player
Eddie Moore- South Pittsburgh
Tony Brown- City H.S.P Pro DT A grown man among h.s.boys.....
Troy Fleming- BGA
Josh Cain- I think he set a SOCON tackle record at UTC

Wrestlers
Martin Francis - I did not see wrestle but first legitimate 4 year state champ
Kevin Ward- went on to wrestle in the big ten I think.

Didn't want to start a new thread but are High School teams in our area playing on Thursday Sept 1?

Last edited:
Dennis Harrison. Played at Riverdale in the early-mid 70's. 4 years at Vandy and seven with the Eagles. About 6'8'', 280 lbs, played DE.

Jermaine Copeland, played at Harriman, played any position he wanted and was better than anyone on the field.....also not to shabby as a VOL!!

VN Store

Back