High school football rules discussion

On a pass interference call in the end zone where the receiver catches the ball. He was awarded the td and a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff. I thought it had to be one or the other.

Was enforced correctly. They had the option to take it on the try or on the kickoff.

I don't have access to copy you a rule right now but it is stated something like if a foul is committed by a team that gets scored against the team that scores has the option to enforce on the try or the kickoff.

Basically, if the offense scores and the defense fouls during the play then the offense has the option.

In a game last Friday, my son took on a lead blocker and the blocker got very low. My son went lower and ended up hitting him in the thighs. After the play, my son said the ref yelled at him and said you can't hit him that low. He wasn't flagged, but the ref told him he could not do that.

I have never heard this before. He is basically getting lower than the blocker and it seems insane to me a ref would say that. This couldn't be targeting, so not sure what the ref was referring to.

Is this penalty or not?

In a game last Friday, my son took on a lead blocker and the blocker got very low. My son went lower and ended up hitting him in the thighs. After the play, my son said the ref yelled at him and said you can't hit him that low. He wasn't flagged, but the ref told him he could not do that.

I have never heard this before. He is basically getting lower than the blocker and it seems insane to me a ref would say that. This couldn't be targeting, so not sure what the ref was referring to.

Is this penalty or not?
You cannot block below the waist in high school. Sounds like the official did some preventive officiating and hopefully keeps this from happening in the future.

There is an exception in the free blocking zone. Basically this means on the line of scrimmage immediately at the snap and only applies to offensive and defensive linemen. In this case you case do a lot of things outside of a combination high/low block.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, my son wasn't blocking. He was on defense and took on the blocker by going low. The ref said he can't go low.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, my son wasn't blocking. He was on defense and took on the blocker by going low. The ref said he can't go low.

Still illegal unless it's against the ball carrier.

The defense can't block below the waist either.

K, thanks. One more question. Is there any rule that lineman have to wear a certain number range or can any position wear any number. One of our coaches made a kid change his jersey number when he moved to defensive line. I thought that was only the NFL, but is there a similar rule in high school.

K, thanks. One more question. Is there any rule that lineman have to wear a certain number range or can any position wear any number. One of our coaches made a kid change his jersey number when he moved to defensive line. I thought that was only the NFL, but is there a similar rule in high school.

Defense can wear any number.

For the offense, you must have 5 players on the line if scrimmage numbered 50-79 on most plays. Exception are punts and FG. On downs 1-3 if you go into FG formation, a holder at least 7 yards deep, the center can have any number but you still have to have 4 others numbered 50-79. On 4th down in either FG or punt (punter 10 yards deep) anybody can be numbered anything but are still ineligible by position.

Can you clear up the targeting rule? We had a play last week where a receiver caught a pass over the middle and our safety had a huge hit on the receiver just as he turned to run up field. The hit was clearly at shoulder pad level but he was flagged for a personal foul. They hit face to face with the safety hitting the receiver in the chest. It looked clean to me; albeit vicious.

Can you clear up the targeting rule? We had a play last week where a receiver caught a pass over the middle and our safety had a huge hit on the receiver just as he turned to run up field. The hit was clearly at shoulder pad level but he was flagged for a personal foul. They hit face to face with the safety hitting the receiver in the chest. It looked clean to me; albeit vicious.
NFHS targeting definition: "Targeting is an act of taking aim and initiating contact to an opponent above the shoulders with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulders". If your description is accurate then it should not have been flagged. However w/ all of the emphasis and discussion regarding targeting, some officials may be "looking for it" and be hyper-sensitive to it.

Last edited:
Here is the definition of targeting -

Targeting is an act of taking aim and initiating contact to an opponent above the shoulders with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow, or shoulders.

FR,

I asked you this on coachT but meant to put it here.

has the pass interference call in high school ever had an auto 1st down with it or has that rule changed at some point?

Feel free to copy and paste your answer so you only have to answer it once

FR,

I asked you this on coachT but meant to put it here.

has the pass interference call in high school ever had an auto 1st down with it or has that rule changed at some point?

Feel free to copy and paste your answer so you only have to answer it once
Why do you think that's me on CoachT?

BTW, it's been answered there.

My son noticed after watching film of an upcoming opponent that their FB cut blocks the LB's quite often beyond the line of scrimmage. This should be illegal for blocking below the waist (correct) but was never called during this particular game? What is your opinion of a player saying something to a ref during the game to watch number XX because he's doing Y? As long as its done respectfully, does that actually help a ref notice something being done illegally?

My son noticed after watching film of an upcoming opponent that their FB cut blocks the LB's quite often beyond the line of scrimmage. This should be illegal for blocking below the waist (correct) but was never called during this particular game? What is your opinion of a player saying something to a ref during the game to watch number XX because he's doing Y? As long as its done respectfully, does that actually help a ref notice something being done illegally?
It really just depends. You may watch player xx for a play or two after something is said. As you said, if done respectfully it'll get more attention than just complaining about it.

You are also correct that this should be a block below the waist foul.

Inadvertent whistle on 3rd down right before the snap. The players stop momentarily then the qb takes off and is tackled short of the line. The refs huddled for a minute then declared fourth down. Was this correct?

Inadvertent whistle on 3rd down right before the snap. The players stop momentarily then the qb takes off and is tackled short of the line. The refs huddled for a minute then declared fourth down. Was this correct?

I would have to see this to give you a good idea. An inadvertent before the snap doesn't make sense. You sure it wasn't the ready for play?

I have two situations for you to clarify:

1. We had a grounding penalty called against us Friday when the QB was outside of the box and threw it past the LOS. There was not a receiver in the area, is that what made it a penalty. I thought in college and NFL, it didn't matter if there was a receiver if you were outside of the tackles and threw past LOS.

2. We had 3rd and 14 and the def had a pass interference penalty. I thought that was an automatic first down?

I have two situations for you to clarify:

1. We had a grounding penalty called against us Friday when the QB was outside of the box and threw it past the LOS. There was not a receiver in the area, is that what made it a penalty. I thought in college and NFL, it didn't matter if there was a receiver if you were outside of the tackles and threw past LOS.

2. We had 3rd and 14 and the def had a pass interference penalty. I thought that was an automatic first down?
1. No such thing as being in or out of the box in high school. There has to be a receiver in the area.

2. Defensive interference is no longer an auto 1st down. That changed last year. Also, offensive interference is no longer a loss of down foul.

I would have to see this to give you a good idea. An inadvertent before the snap doesn't make sense. You sure it wasn't the ready for play?

I think the whistle may have come from someone in the crowd just before the snap. The players thought it was a ref and stopped. That's when the qb ran and was stopped.

1. No such thing as being in or out of the box in high school. There has to be a receiver in the area.

2. Defensive interference is no longer an auto 1st down. That changed last year. Also, offensive interference is no longer a loss of down foul.

Was there a reason given for the rule change on pass interference?

VN Store

Back