High school football rules discussion

Hey, Ref.
From the ff

And is it different from High school to college?
9-4-4

Roughing the passer. Defensive players must make a definite effort
to avoid charging into a passer, who has thrown the ball from in or behind the
neutral zone, after it is clear the ball has been thrown. No defensive player shall
charge into the passer who is standing still or fading back, because he is con -
sidered out of the play after the pass.

So, yes players other than the QB can be roughed.

No idea if there is a difference in high school and college.

9-4-4

Roughing the passer. Defensive players must make a definite effort
to avoid charging into a passer, who has thrown the ball from in or behind the
neutral zone, after it is clear the ball has been thrown. No defensive player shall
charge into the passer who is standing still or fading back, because he is con -
sidered out of the play after the pass.

So, yes players other than the QB can be roughed.

No idea if there is a difference in high school and college.
Cool. That was my next question.
Actually what I wanted to know is could a running back be call for grounding for throwing the ball away after a hand off?

Rule 2-22

Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or
knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of
his body except one or both feet.

The next ref to throw that flag will be the first.
I know we aren't going to call that in our assoc.....

I saw it called once where a tackler had fallen down and the runner jumped over his legs who were parallel to the ground. He got maybe 10 inches off the ground and continued for about another 15 yards. The ref threw the flag and brought it back. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous.

I saw it called once where a tackler had fallen down and the runner jumped over his legs who were parallel to the ground. He got maybe 10 inches off the ground and continued for about another 15 yards. The ref threw the flag and brought it back. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous.

It doesn't sound like that meets the criteria. It is definitely something that you rarely see called.

What are the OT rules? My son team went for two after the 4th OT instead of kicking the XP it was Cordova vs Arlington in Memphis area

What are the OT rules? My son team went for two after the 4th OT instead of kicking the XP it was Cordova vs Arlington in Memphis area

Can you be a little more specific in what you are wanting to know?

I can tell you there is no requirement to go for 2 like college.

During a punt last night the punter fell forward on the ground after a kick. The people around me thought he was trying to draw a flag as the kick was almost blocked. To me it looked like the punter was bracing to get hit and fell forward because there was no contact.

Is flopping to try to try to draw a flag a penalty in any situation?

Unsportsmanlike conduct maybe?

During a punt last night the punter fell forward on the ground after a kick. The people around me thought he was trying to draw a flag as the kick was almost blocked. To me it looked like the punter was bracing to get hit and fell forward because there was no contact.

Is flopping to try to try to draw a flag a penalty in any situation?

Unsportsmanlike conduct maybe?
Nope

Do you ever taking acting in consideration when deciding to throw a flag?
If you see the entire action that leads up to the possible flag you have to know whether you consider it a foul. If you see a guy just fall down then there is no foul. So, to answer your question...I guess you do have to consider that but you are not going to flag the player that is trying to draw a flag for his acting job.

If you see the entire action that leads up to the possible flag you have to know whether you consider it a foul. If you see a guy just fall down then there is no foul. So, to answer your question...I guess you do have to consider that but you are not going to flag the player that is trying to draw a flag for his acting job.

I actually think the acting job might keep me from throwing a flag if I were a ref.
I guess that's why I hate soccer. Real men don't flop to draw a foul.

This happened:
Team A has been successful with a WR screen, or bubble pass all night. They have just scored to pull within 1 point of Team B. On the extra point attempt, prior to the snap, the player on the end of the line shifts out wide, as a WR. The ball is snapped the normal 7 yards to the holder (who is down on 1 knee by the way). The holder fields the ball, stands up and throws a forward pass to the player who had shifted out wide (he is still behind the line of scrimmage). Defenders swarm towards this receiver. The receiver catches the ball, hesitates just a second, then throws another forward pass to an uncovered receiver in the endzone.

I work with a guy who is a high school ref in the area. We had a long discussion this morning about this play. My two questions are:
1) Is the holder allowed to stand up from his "knee on ground" position after receiving the ball, to make a play other than holding for the kick?
2) Is there a rule that allows more than one forward pass, in TSSAA, as long as the ball has not passed the line of scrimmage on the initial pass?

How would you have called this play?

This happened:
Team A has been successful with a WR screen, or bubble pass all night. They have just scored to pull within 1 point of Team B. On the extra point attempt, prior to the snap, the player on the end of the line shifts out wide, as a WR. The ball is snapped the normal 7 yards to the holder (who is down on 1 knee by the way). The holder fields the ball, stands up and throws a forward pass to the player who had shifted out wide (he is still behind the line of scrimmage). Defenders swarm towards this receiver. The receiver catches the ball, hesitates just a second, then throws another forward pass to an uncovered receiver in the endzone.

I work with a guy who is a high school ref in the area. We had a long discussion this morning about this play. My two questions are:
1) Is the holder allowed to stand up from his "knee on ground" position after receiving the ball, to make a play other than holding for the kick?
2) Is there a rule that allows more than one forward pass, in TSSAA, as long as the ball has not passed the line of scrimmage on the initial pass?

How would you have called this play?
1 - the holder can stand up and throw a pass
2 - no

Illegal forward pass from the 2nd throw. Flag down there. This is a loss of down foul. No replay of the try. Try would be no good or would not count. Move on to the kickoff.

1 - the holder can stand up and throw a pass
2 - no

Illegal forward pass from the 2nd throw. Flag down there. This is a loss of down foul. No replay of the try. Try would be no good or would not count. Move on to the kickoff.

Thanks!
I had the recap above a little mixed up. The two instances were actually 2 seperate plays.

1-Two point try was a fake kick, with the holder standing up and throwing the ball in the end zone for the completion, and was called good.
2-The "2 forward pass" play was on the ensuing drive by Team B. It was also allowed to stand, and resulted in the winning touchdown for Team B. The ref that I work with stands by his argument that more than one forward pass is allowed as long as the ball has not passed the line of scrimmage. I disagreed with him, but he is the official and I'm not. I appreciate your confirmation.

***I searched and found a recap of the game. In the story, it describes the play as a LATERAL to the wide receiver, who then threw downfield. So apparently that is why the play stood. The first pass was ruled as a lateral instead of a forward pass.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I had the recap above a little mixed up. The two instances were actually 2 seperate plays.

1-Two point try was a fake kick, with the holder standing up and throwing the ball in the end zone for the completion, and was called good.
2-The "2 forward pass" play was on the ensuing drive by Team B. It was also allowed to stand, and resulted in the winning touchdown for Team B. The ref that I work with stands by his argument that more than one forward pass is allowed as long as the ball has not passed the line of scrimmage. I disagreed with him, but he is the official and I'm not. I appreciate your confirmation.

***I searched and found a recap of the game. In the story, it describes the play as a LATERAL to the wide receiver, who then threw downfield. So apparently that is why the play stood. The first pass was ruled as a lateral instead of a forward pass.
Below is rule 7-5 arts 1 & 2

ART. 1 . . . It is a legal forward pass, if during a scrimmage down and before
team possession has changed, a player of A throws the ball with both feet of the
passer in or behind the neutral zone when the ball is released. Only one forward
pass may be thrown during the down.

ART. 2 . . . An illegal forward pass is a foul. Illegal forward passes include:
a. A pass after team possession has changed during the down.
b. A pass from beyond the neutral zone.
c. A second or subsequent forward pass thrown during a down.
d. A pass intentionally thrown into an area not occupied by an eligible offensive
receiver.
e. A pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve
time.
EXCEPTION: It is legal to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to
the ground immediately after receiving a direct hand-to-hand snap.

Below is rule 7-5 arts 1 & 2

ART. 1 . . . It is a legal forward pass, if during a scrimmage down and before
team possession has changed, a player of A throws the ball with both feet of the
passer in or behind the neutral zone when the ball is released. Only one forward
pass may be thrown during the down.

ART. 2 . . . An illegal forward pass is a foul. Illegal forward passes include:
a. A pass after team possession has changed during the down.
b. A pass from beyond the neutral zone.
c. A second or subsequent forward pass thrown during a down.
d. A pass intentionally thrown into an area not occupied by an eligible offensive
receiver.
e. A pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve
time.
EXCEPTION: It is legal to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to
the ground immediately after receiving a direct hand-to-hand snap.

Thanks footballref. I'll share this with my coworker. You know how these high school refs are.... always think they're right :)

Kickoff high in the air but short (12 yards) K catches the ball in the air (12 yards down field) without a fair catch signal given by R.
Flag is thrown for Kick catch interference.
What's the interpretation?

VN Store

Back