Hidden Keys: Ole Miss

aaronvol

Hello Vol fans! (and any Ole Miss fans that happen to be trolling). First off, it was great to see us whip USCjr. last week. We slowed down in the 3rd quarter and coasted. We could have put up 70. If we get the opportunity to put up 70 this week we should simply do it. Don't hold back. As a great sensei once said, "Cobra Kai! No mercy!" I would love to "Cobra Kai" Kiffin this weekend. So, as I do every week, I want to hear your hidden keys for the victory. This means pointing out things you haven't heard many folks talking about. Here are mine...

1) 3-2-6. This is the Ole Miss defense. It is designed to bend and not break. The strategy behind it is turnovers. Ole Miss wants a shootout where you feel like you have to throw the ball to win. They are depending on you turning the ball over in the air. So, the first key, is patience. Run north and south on them. And don't stop. Even if we get down by a touchdown, pound them.

2) Look for the trickery. Kiffin wants this to be a game where he shows off in front of our fans. He wants the attention. Look for the trick play. He will use one or two.

3) Pressure with 4. We can't blitz against Corral and win. We need that front four to get pressure and arrive angry.

4) Mingo. Whoever is on Mingo needs to have the game of their life. He worries me more than any WR in the country.

5 Matthew Butler. Dude needs to disrupt the center of their line. Force RB's out side and shut down scramble lanes for Corral.

What you got!

The Band Playing "Lala" every time we score is a big key to this game, anything to get Kiffy baby off his game.

Seriously - Evans health (how is the ankle) and can he run the ball effectively and how much does Mays being back at center help the running game. As OP said, "pressure/harass on the Ole Miss QB all day long."

Hello Vol fans! (and any Ole Miss fans that happen to be trolling). First off, it was great to see us whip USCjr. last week. We slowed down in the 3rd quarter and coasted. We could have put up 70. If we get the opportunity to put up 70 this week we should simply do it. Don't hold back. As a great sensei once said, "Cobra Kai! No mercy!" I would love to "Cobra Kai" Kiffin this weekend. So, as I do every week, I want to hear your hidden keys for the victory. This means pointing out things you haven't heard many folks talking about. Here are mine...

1) 3-2-6. This is the Ole Miss defense. It is designed to bend and not break. The strategy behind it is turnovers. Ole Miss wants a shootout where you feel like you have to throw the ball to win. They are depending on you turning the ball over in the air. So, the first key, is patience. Run north and south on them. And don't stop. Even if we get down by a touchdown, pound them.

2) Look for the trickery. Kiffin wants this to be a game where he shows off in front of our fans. He wants the attention. Look for the trick play. He will use one or two.

3) Pressure with 4. We can't blitz against Corral and win. We need that front four to get pressure and arrive angry.

4) Mingo. Whoever is on Mingo needs to have the game of their life. He worries me more than any WR in the country.

5 Matthew Butler. Dude needs to disrupt the center of their line. Force RB's out side and shut down scramble lanes for Corral.

What you got!

I thought Mingo was not available due to a broken foot?

I would exploit their weak Dline & run it til they throw the white flag & then keep running it some more

Life is a game...Tennessee football is serious

While watching OM--Ark. a OM reciever was injured and the announcers said it was OM #1 rec. I did not pay attention to who it was!
Halloween costumes.jpg

Both teams are going to be able to put up points. We have to get more stops than Ole Miss IMO. I like our chances but don't feel comfortable in a back and forth shoot out the entire game similar to last week when they played Arkansas.

The last time Ole Miss beat Tennessee in Neyland Stadium was on Nov 12, 1983 by the whopping score of 13-10. Both teams do a good job taking care of the ball. We need takeaways to win this one.

Sounds like fun. A run play every 8 seconds against a pretty thin DL and 6 DB's trying to decide whether to run to the box or play the RPO screen to the sideline.

Good news.... Mingo won't play. He broke a foot before their Bama game. They have two good WR's. The three of them account for all but one of OM's 12 TD receptions. Mingo after missing two games is still 3rd in yards, receptions, and TD receptions... by around 240 yards. Take Drummond and Sanders away and you limit Corral.

What you got!
Ole Miss is a running team. Reestablish the LOS. UT leads FBS in TFL's. They need to collapse the OL and then spy Corral.

Bonus. UT has committed 4 penalties in the last 2 games after a rough start. Ole Miss is 128 out of 130 teams in penalties. They've played only one away game plus a neutral site game vs L'ville. The away game was Bama which was over too fast for the crowd to make much of a difference. This will be the most hostile environment they've played in. Look for LOTS of penalties.

UT btw is 1st in the SEC and 11th nationally in benefiting from opponent penalties.

Don’t know if this is a hidden key, but if I had a hat that said “RUN THE DAMN BALL”
I’d being wearing it tomorrow night.

I want to wear them out. They’ve had 2 exhausting games back to back. It doesn’t have to be big chunk runs right away, but if we keep landing body blow after body blow we’re gonna land some haymakers and we also might keep Corral off the field more than they’d like.

Reactions: Vol_in_NC_1999
I think a hidden key, is the fact that Miss just played a high scoring, high energy game, while we coasted to victory. This could setup as a let down for them if we can jump on them early. They are a talented offense though, so that is a tough task.

VN Store

Back