Hidden Keys: Missouri

aaronvol

Good morning Vol Fans!!

Looking for Hidden Keys against Missouri. I am still, after how ever many years, still annoyed by their presence in the SEC. They don't belong. They are forgettable. I don't like them. Their fans sit on grass.

Keys:

1) Time of Possession. We haven't beaten anyone in TOP this year. Both of these teams love to move quick and I think winning the TOP in this game is important because we saw what a 4th quarter defense looks like last week when our D is on the field for too long. To win TOP we need to...

2) Run the ball. This isn't so hidden. Everyone has been talking about it this week. But, I think we need to run the ball with a change of pace in getting to the line of scrimmage. I would love to see us go fast, but also slow it down a bit. I remember Coach Cut would do this years ago. He would hurry up to the line, get the D-Line set, and make them hold for 20-25 seconds. So, mix up the pace, keep them tired, run the darn ball.

3) Get a little swag back. Play angry on D. I think our D-Line is the difference in this game. I expect a busy back field today and 5 sacks.

What you got?

Coin flip game. We will run; Mizzou will throw. They have the edge at QB, and are at home. Turnovers and penalties might determine the winner.

I took Mizzou, and I really hope this post does not age well.

Go Vols.

Coin flip game. We will run; Mizzou will throw. They have the edge at QB, and are at home. Turnovers and penalties might determine the winner.

Go Vols.

I agree with Grey Wolf. Limiting penalties is the Hidden Key. If we keep ourselves on the field, we win.

Reactions: BigDave
(Un) hidden key: can Hooker start - hope so because in addition to passing, he is a running threat against a poor rush defense

Hidden keys

Cooper needs to play. Running game is so much better with him at center and Carvin at guard.

Byron Young needs to have a breakout game. Between eligibility issues and a really good running QB in the UF game, BY has not had a chance to live up to his “un-blockable” fall camp hype. This would be a great game to shine!

Not so Hidden Key: Both teams really need this win.

Both teams 2-2. Both teams have a rough road to 6 wins with a loss today. We will get Mizzou's best shot today.

Mizzou has - UT, N. Texas, aTm, Vandy, GA, USCjr, FL, Arky. - Not an easy schedule to close things out.

Good morning Vol Fans!!

Looking for Hidden Keys against Missouri. I am still, after how ever many years, still annoyed by their presence in the SEC. They don't belong. They are forgettable. I don't like them. Their fans sit on grass.

Keys:

1) Time of Possession. We haven't beaten anyone in TOP this year. Both of these teams love to move quick and I think winning the TOP in this game is important because we saw what a 4th quarter defense looks like last week when our D is on the field for too long. To win TOP we need to...

2) Run the ball. This isn't so hidden. Everyone has been talking about it this week. But, I think we need to run the ball with a change of pace in getting to the line of scrimmage. I would love to see us go fast, but also slow it down a bit. I remember Coach Cut would do this years ago. He would hurry up to the line, get the D-Line set, and make them hold for 20-25 seconds. So, mix up the pace, keep them tired, run the darn ball.

3) Get a little swag back. Play angry on D. I think our D-Line is the difference in this game. I expect a busy back field today and 5 sacks.

What you got?
I'm not sure T.O.P. is ever a win under Heupel's system. I do know he is (for now at least) #1 nationally in plays per minute at just under 3. But I'll concede that we probably need to be close to even with Mizzou in time of poss. to win this game. To me, the biggest hidden keys will lie in 3 stats: whomever has the best 3rd down efficiency, the most qb sacks, and the fewest turnovers. Get two of those three stats and you likely win the game. Get all three, and you win going away. Just my opinion.

Not so Hidden Key: Both teams really need this win.

Both teams 2-2. Both teams have a rough road to 6 wins with a loss today. We will get Mizzou's best shot today.

Mizzou has - UT, N. Texas, aTm, Vandy, GA, USCjr, FL, Arky. - Not an easy schedule to close things out.
I agree. We will absolutely get the Tigers best effort today. You go review their game film. They haven't been a bad football team, just a bit leaky on rush defense. But their short passing game is dangerous, and they have a dynamic qb who can deliver. We gotta find a way today!

(Un) hidden key: can Hooker start - hope so because in addition to passing, he is a running threat against a poor rush defense

Hidden keys

Cooper needs to play. Running game is so much better with him at center and Carvin at guard.

Byron Young needs to have a breakout game. Between eligibility issues and a really good running QB in the UF game, BY has not had a chance to live up to his “un-blockable” fall camp hype. This would be a great game to shine!

Go Vols.

It’s also worth noting that Missouri literally couldn’t stop the run against the last two FBS teams it played, both of whom were devoid of passing games (Kentucky because of its general passing game troubles; BC because it was still breaking in a new QB following the season-ending injury to the original starter).

Kentucky only had 10 passes, and Boston College 18, yet - and neither one passed for more 175 yards - yet both had over 511 and 450 yards of offense.

So the Missouri rush defense has been so bad that even when it knew the other team was just going to be running the ball or would have to place a much heavier usage/burden on its running game to hide its passing game deficiencies…well, Missouri’s defense still couldn’t stop the run, at all.

We are probably never going to win time of possession. That stat is completely irrelevant to our offense. The only key to the game: Score on offense. Get points on every possession.

I agree with your assessment about TOP (time of possession). I would add two more keys.

4) Reduce or try to eliminate penalties. The team that makes the fewest mistakes has the best chance of winning the game.

5) We need better special teams play than we did in the Florida game.

Hopefully this is a win for us. Go Big Orange !

Key to victory.....put funny shaped ball across the last white line in front of big metal fork pointing up.......do that more than the other guys and you win.

Reactions: TomcatVolFan
Throw underneath. Get our speed guys the ball on crossing routes and mesh routes and get those guys some YACs.

I agree Mizzou does not belong. I called them vandy light.
The fact they've kicked our azz really burns me.
Go Vols, skin the kitties

Missouri has been the better program since they entered the SEC in 2012. Keep down playing them but they have won 35 SEC games since joining and Tennessee has only won 25. 10 years and trailing them by 10 wins.

All the talk about how bad other programs are doesn't make this Tennessee program better.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
Get Banks to pile drive the QB. I don’t think you can get a targeting penalty if you drive his head into the mud about 14 inches. 🤞

VN Store

Back