Heupel was offered entry-level SEC money

MWAVolfan

4 million a year for 6 years. Pruitt was given only marginally less at 3.8 million for 6 years when we hired him as an unproven head coach with lots of SEC experience.

That kind of tells me all I need to know about how much White desired to hire Heupel.

Don't get me wrong I'm very glad that is all we gave him. I thought those fools would surely give him 6 million a year. But if Heupel was truly White's #1 target for this job he would have been offered more money and from day 1. In NFL draft speak we gave him 2nd round money, not 1st round money. I dont buy this baloney that "I didn't want to steal him from UCF... whatever that's not how grown men act. You do your job to the best of your ability ang get the guy you want for the job. Feelings don't go with business decisions. But I get it, he cant stand up there with egg on his face and say "wow that was harder than I thought to get a coach to come here so I settled on my old employee that was originally not part of the search"

I hope, as all Vols fans do that Heupel can somehow work a miracle. I'm tired of being disappointed for so many years, but I'll never stop fighting for UT and speaking truth even if it sounds negative. UT has to live up to its part of the deal and actually win something at some point, which is what we all hope for.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I would have preferred an older coach to right the boat, have a winning record, and get some talent/recruit again for a couple year to settle the ship and get it going the right direction. Instead we take a big chance that this kid will underperform as the program slides further into the darkness.
Maybe it's to pay little til the trouble blows over and maybe if we are lucky it will work out.
Tennessee is a place coaching prospects are going and dying really since majors.

Keep paying bargain basement salaries, keep expecting to be in the basement of the conference

4 million a year for 6 years. Pruitt was given only marginally less at 3.8 million for 6 years when we hired him as an unproven head coach with lots of SEC experience.

That kind of tells me all I need to know about how much White desired to hire Heupel.
No. It only tells you what Heupel's current market value is. Doesn't mean he's good or bad. Doesn't mean that White didn't want him. It probably means White didn't overpay him.... and that's a good thing.

I hope, as all Vols fans do that Heupel can somehow work a miracle. I'm tired of being disappointed for so many years, but I'll never stop fighting for UT and speaking truth even if it sounds negative. UT has to live up to its part of the deal and actually win something at some point, which is what we all hope for.
But you need to take a step back and realize that's not what you are doing. Your assumptions no matter how convinced you are... aren't "truth". Truth is that there are reasons to dislike the hire. There are reasons to be disappointed that UT's current situation probably kept them from a higher profile hire.

But... the truth is also that this guy has produced a ton of O as an HC AND as an OC in the SEC with much less talent than he'll have at UT. It is also true that paying him less reserves money to go get a good DC and staff. It is also true that while Heupel has no "building" experience, White does.

Lastly, great offensive recruits want to play in exciting offenses. Recruiting to his O shouldn't be difficult.

Reactions: tarvol73
An established coach at a power 5 school would only consider walking into the mess at UT for a few reasons: 1) unhappy with some aspect of their current situation, 2) Vols, for some personal reasons, was their dream job, or 3) greed, believing they could get millions above their current salary. Franklin probably had reasons 1 & 3 but probably had ridiculous $ expectations that were not tenable. Evidently none of the other Power 5 A-listers had reason enough to take the risk.

VN Store

Back