Heupel social media PR campaign

Agree with you that congrats and well to do’s are normal. This was just TN Football making posts with these quotes in kind of an ad like look. I don’t hate it, or hate the hire... it just kind of struck me as odd. Now that he is hired and is new, I am behind him all the way...I guess I hoped we didn’t need to know what the Texas Tech coach said about him for us to get behind him.
I think someone hit it on the head. He's not a name the casual fan would recall so a little hype doesn't hurt. I'm anxious, as most are on VN, to see the staff filled out and get to it.

I can't blame UT for doing a little more positive PR than usual. It's been a tough few weeks for the football program.

It’s irrelevant at this point, first time he loses and he will lose plenty this year, people will question the hire. Whether you’re sold or not he’s going to get time, time will prove if he is or isn’t the guy. I’m not sure we will be able to tell anything next year with all the defections, and players that might not be optimal in his system. Improved QB play would be a sign we’re headed in a better direction.

I agree . He will lose and he will be questioned. However , the schedule is pretty vanilla compared to this season. CJP would have likely won three more games had this been a normal season. CJH has every opportunity to improve on that mark. I noted that he stated several times that he he coaches to his players abilities and strengths. If he is true to this ( like Cutcliffe was ) then he could very well have a good offense. The defense will be more problematic due to depth along the front . You cant coach that. A good offense and a defense that at least gets in the other teams way , with this schedule and he may do fairly well.

I am not a sunshine pumper and have my own questions and critique of this hire , but do think he can get us back to at least the break even point next season

Reactions: ChiefTKE
I’m not trying to be negative, but does anyone else get an odd feeling about seeing all of the PR pieces from former players praising Heupel? It just has the taste of “we know we still have to sell this to you because it wasn’t well received...”. I say just let him get to work and do what he can do. The hire has been made and it will either work or it won’t. Feels like a timeshare presentation.
Or... maybe people really like and respect the guy? Some of you guys are working too hard to find things to complain or be suspicious about.

Honestly I think all the PR stuff is great.
It's likely going a long way with recruits that probably didn't consider playing for Heupel because he was at UCF.
Now those same recruits take pause and put.that guy with the resources of a Tennessee and it becomes very appealing.

Also.see.it.helping with the middle.aged to older casual UT fan that likely hadn't heard of Heupel before he was hired.
LOL.. seriously? Most of us middle aged to older UT fans... remember Heupel as a player at OU.

Or... maybe people really like and respect the guy? Some of you guys are working too hard to find things to complain or be suspicious about.
I am sure they do. Again, making an observation of something that seems different and odd (to me), isn’t complaining and suspicious. I also didn’t have to work to hard to have it keep popping up in my FB feed. Sorry if you took this the wrong way...just didn’t remember these type of quote hypes before and it seemed a litle weird..

I’m not trying to be negative, but does anyone else get an odd feeling about seeing all of the PR pieces from former players praising Heupel? It just has the taste of “we know we still have to sell this to you because it wasn’t well received...”. I say just let him get to work and do what he can do. The hire has been made and it will either work or it won’t. Feels like a timeshare presentation.

Or watching a TV show like Gilligan's Island, and each week, a different actor plays the Skipper.

Maybe he is using this to help recruiting....Ty Simpson for instance hearing from a Heisman QB saying that Heupel really helped him.... Not sure why anyone would complain about good press from others for our university or our new coach.

No such thing as bad PR, he's speaking to QB's across the country and in our state. Not a bad thing having more up to date QB's promoting the new HC. Today's kids have only seen vintage videos of Peyton at Tennessee.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Yep. I was just thinking this myself. Either he will be successful or he won’t. I don’t really care what positive news they have to trot out to make us feel good about the hire. I’m tired and apathy is starting to set in. I’ll reserve my excitement until he shows results. I do hope Heupel is the one though.

OMG. The sky is falling. They didn't hire Freeze, Kiffin or Gruden whichever the flavor of the day I wanted. I'm failing because VFLs are supporting this guy. This is the end.

I’m not trying to be negative, but does anyone else get an odd feeling about seeing all of the PR pieces from former players praising Heupel? It just has the taste of “we know we still have to sell this to you because it wasn’t well received...”. I say just let him get to work and do what he can do. The hire has been made and it will either work or it won’t. Feels like a timeshare presentation.[/1612363422116.gif

JH
1612363422116.gif

Yep. I was just thinking this myself. Either he will be successful or he won’t. I don’t really care what positive news they have to trot out to make us feel good about the hire. I’m tired and apathy is starting to set in. I’ll reserve my excitement until he shows results. I do hope Heupel is the one though.
He will do fine if he gets a good DC.

Reactions: preacherwebb
I am sure they do. Again, making an observation of something that seems different and odd (to me), isn’t complaining and suspicious. I also didn’t have to work to hard to have it keep popping up in my FB feed. Sorry if you took this the wrong way...just didn’t remember these type of quote hypes before and it seemed a litle weird..
Well, it is either a really bad thing as you seem to suggest where he's coordinating an effort to have his friends legitimize him... or it is a really, really good thing where people feel so strongly about having worked with him that they are speaking out. That could be in response to the cool reception he got not only from Volnation but broadly but even so it would indicate some strong affinity for him as a person and coach.

Most of the time people do not speak out negatively in situations like this. They're either supportive or silent. As you noted, you didn't hear as much of this when UT hired Pruitt, Jones, or Dooley. Social media has grown so much since Kiffin that I don't think you can put him on that list fairly. A few Bama guys came out and said positive things about Pruitt. In retrospect, maybe it should have been a flag that he was associated with that many great teams and players and so few spoke up to give him credit.

All in all just from what we have learned about Heupel... I suspect the comments have been unsolicited and sincere.

I dont like seeing or reading the AD's tweetering out tomfoolery 'text a friend'.

Be quiet and do your job.

VN Store

Back