Heupel Receives Contract Extension and raise

Already approached it on the field, and this years class is top 10. Add another top 10 class, and sneak a top 5 class in there and we are good to go. The only area that seems difficult for Tennessee to recruit the best of the best right now is on the OL. Maybe it's the scheme, but at least we have Glen Ellerbee, who is fantastic at developing offensive linemen.
No, we didn’t approach it this year on the field. Coming within two games of undefeated and a NC is not close to said standard, especially considering we got worked in the two losses. And either of that ‘98 team or the 2001 team would run this one out of the stadium. We had multiple top ten classes under Dooley, Pruitt, and Jones. Until we get top-three to top-five consistently we won’t be contending for NCs.

I was being silly, but really do hope buyout is huge.
The buyout for him to leave didn’t change. Starts at $8M for the next year, then decreases by $2M every year. For the last 2 years of the deal, there is no buyout (but it’s highly unlikely UT would ever let the deal go that long without another extension).

Reactions: SpookyAction
The buyout for him to leave didn’t change. Starts at $8M for the next year, then decreases by $2M every year. For the last 2 years of the deal, there is no buyout (but it’s highly unlikely UT would ever let the deal go that long without another extension).

Is the buyout symmetrical?

Completely agree with everything you said. Fulmer was a recruiter and not a very good coach. Plus he didn’t keep anyone on staff that was smarter than him. He stabbed Majors in the back and was afraid someone would do the same to him. Spurrier owned him and Saban would have completely made him look as a fool. When the SEC started hiring great coaches, Fulmer’s days were numbered.
Thanks. Glad someone beside me knew Fulmer was not a good coach. I'll take Heupel Any day over Fulmer! Go Vols

Your characterization is inaccurate at best. Spurrier beat just about everybody when he was at UF; I seem to recall Fulmer beat him in ‘98 and 2001, among other years. Cutcliffe never won anything at Ole Miss. The biggest thing Fulmer did extremely, extremely well was out-recruit just about everybody. Heupel has done well in many areas thus far; but if he doesn’t approach what Fulmer achieved in recruiting, he won’t approach what he did on the field.
You are inaccurate sir, Spurrier owned him. Fulmer vs Heupel as a head coach, I take Heupel Any day.

Early extensions have so far proven to be the bane for Vol football. I would like for Heupel to have had one more year under his belt before giving the extension of this nature. I understand it but it could easily end up being a very very bad thing. I hope it turns out great, but this seems like a business decision based on emotion.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Early extensions have so far proven to be the bane for Vol football. I would like for Heupel to have had one more year under his belt before giving the extension of this nature. I understand it but it could easily end up being a very very bad thing. I hope it turns out great, but this seems like a business decision based on emotion.

Thank god you’re not in charge

$4M is quite a bump. I think you give him $7.5 to $8M and then make sure it wasn't one season of luck. Then next year bump him to $9M if he does it again.

Is the buyout symmetrical?
"his buyout would be 100% of what he was owed if he were terminated without cause before Dec. 15, 2025. The buyout would drop to 75% if he were fired between Dec. 15, 2025 and Dec. 14, 2027. The buyout would decrease to 50 percent on Dec. 15, 2027. "

Vols' Heupel lands extension, raise to $9M/year

Link has complete details with incentives, etc. I like this little perk:

" Heupel will also receive increased private jet usage. "

Reactions: 37620VOL
Uh, no. You may have missed it but we had one that dominated the SEC for about ten years and won a NC. Recency bias is alive and well.

Yeah - I was about to say- we had one around here not too long ago that beat Bama about ten years in a row and won one of the two NCs in our history … and beat Georgia about ten years in a row .. at the same time - and both of them were relatively down because that coach was routinely taking their best recruits. Yeah, he loused it up at the end … but you know what I mean.

Meanwhile in California there is a politician who has a bill capping college coaches salary at around $500,000 per year. If it passes there will be nobody to coach college football in California.
USC is a private university so that would not come into play.

You are inaccurate sir, Spurrier owned him. Fulmer vs Heupel as a head coach, I take Heupel Any day.
HC is in charge of everything. I love Heupel. But he doesn't get the nod over Fulmer until he wins a natty. Hell shouldn't be in the discussion yet. Hasn't won the division yet. It's like some of you forget what the ultimate accomplishment is.

Funny thing here. Everyone is hoping we slapped a ma$$ive buyout in the contract. The hot topic around here about 2 years ago and the 3 years before that was ... These CFB coaching buyouts have go to Stop!

Strange how that happens. 🤷🤔🤣

VN Store

Back