Heupel just seems like a good guy

unfrozencvmanvol

Nico came, he saw, he conquered.
I'm optimistic about Heupel, but I don't know more than anyone else whether he's going to get it done or not. What I do know is, just watching him at media days, he seems like a much better dude than Pruitt ever did. One reason I think the fanbase turned on Pruitt so quickly was his raging ****head routine. That's fine if you are winning but when you are piling up 4 touchdown losses at an unprecedented rate it gets old real quick. Anyway, ding, dong, the Gump is gone, let them know that the Gump is gone!

Last edited:
Josh is a good dude. He's well spoken, likeable, and humorous when he wants to be. A great competitor and well respected as a player, coach, and play caller. You can tell he is a genuinely humble and sincere. He may not have been #1 on our coaching list, but I think he is the right guy, at the right time.

I can't wait to watch this offense in action this season. Recruiting should pick up once recruits see the product on the field.

I've mentioned it before but he is a product of the South Dakota, Midwest culture. He's like a lot of people I meet from SD and the Midwest generally. Maybe not quite as "friendly" as southerners... but nowhere near as fake friendly either. You are a lot more likely to get "love" with honesty. They also take pride in not letting anyone outwork them.

Successful or not... I don't think UT will get cheated any effort from Heupel or his staff.

PS- I didn't dislike Pruitt. He talked like a football coach. He was too negative and apparently that spread through the program. He turned out to have a big ethical/moral hole. But I liked his public persona. Reminded me of my old HS coach who was extremely successful. I didn't care for Jones.... used car salesman schtick got old quick. I've never really liked cliches or slogans.

As annoying as Dabo can be, I do think he's created the right culture in his program by being a player's coach that is very focused on the player's experience while at Clemson. I think Heupel is taking the same approach. My hope is that Heupel can be like Dabo in that regard while also being the offensive innovator like Spurrier was back in the day. I'm excited to see what an offensive/QB-focused guy as head coach can do at Tennessee.

Heupel seems like a good guy and a better personality than Beldar but it will come down to can he beat Florida or Georgia and Bama ? and can he get us back to prominence and competing for the SEC east within 4 years?

PS- I didn't dislike Pruitt. He talked like a football coach. He was too negative and apparently that spread through the program. He turned out to have a big ethical/moral hole. But I liked his public persona. Reminded me of my old HS coach who was extremely successful. I didn't care for Jones.... used car salesman schtick got old quick. I've never really liked cliches or slogans.

Most football coaches I know can put together a sentence.

The players saw that Pruitt didn't practice what he preached when it came to hard work and discipline. They saw overmatched buddies thrust into roles that they could not handle. They saw him continue to trot the same shell-shocked QB out there game after game. They saw him preach hard work while he was taking the easy way out. Pruitt wanted them to be tough and prepared yet he wasn't prepared himself. It should have been really telling when they quit on year at the end of Y1, it should have been really telling how they quit on him during the UK game.

Reactions: JohnnyJava
Agree, he seems like the type coach we want leading our program. I hope he is successful at recruiting & developing the talent he brings in. I also hope he gets enough time to see results before the fans turn on him. As long as the program shows some signs of hope, he deserves our patient support. This train isn't going to turn around and be competitive in a couple of years.

Most football coaches I know can put together a sentence.

The players saw that Pruitt didn't practice what he preached when it came to hard work and discipline. They saw overmatched buddies thrust into roles that they could not handle. They saw him continue to trot the same shell-shocked QB out there game after game. They saw him preach hard work while he was taking the easy way out. Pruitt wanted them to be tough and prepared yet he wasn't prepared himself. It should have been really telling when they quit on year at the end of Y1, it should have been really telling how they quit on him during the UK game.
I didn't say he was a good HC. He wasn't. He was over his head. The only thing he had was to try to mimic Saban or others.

I was strictly talking about his public persona. He talked like a football coach.

FWIW, I still believe he is a good teacher of the game whose ceiling is position coach or coordinator at best. Lots of guys lack the ability to "command" or lead at a HC level.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Josh is a good dude. He's well spoken, likeable, and humorous when he wants to be. A great competitor and well respected as a player, coach, and play caller. You can tell he is a genuinely humble and sincere. He may not have been #1 on our coaching list, but I think he is the right guy, at the right time.

I can't wait to watch this offense in action this season. Recruiting should pick up once recruits see the product on the field.

I appreciate your optimism and those of similar ilk

Seeing organization, discipline and execution on the field will go A LONG WAY to restoring confidence here in the overall football program

I'm optimistic we have the right coach this time (I know I've stated this several times previously only to, well, you know)

Clichés and BS coach speak for over a decade. I'll take a little authenticity with wide open offense for 200 Alex

Tennessee has been the most frustrating program in the last 20 years because our lack of success has had 0 to do with talent… Every coach that’s been here has recruited enough talent to be successful… our problem has been poor coaching and development and losing culture… that is the most frustrating part because an average coach can win 8 games a year at Tennessee and a good to great coach can win championships… that is why it is so easy to get behind a coach at Tennessee because if he is average or better he will have success here… we have just had a run of mediocre or flat out terrible head coaches… CJH has the cohesion of his offensive staff that’s genuine and you gotta love that and it’s almost guaranteed that we will score points and his handling of the media is refreshing so he is easy to like… only time will tell if he is the guy but it’s easy to understand why people will believe in almost any coach UT hires… I thought Pruitt would be great because of his work ethic and no nonsense attitude which breeds elite position coaches or coordinators I vastly underestimated how bad his ppl skills are and how it takes so much more than just coaching to be a successful head coach… the job will not be too big for CJH if he finds his guy at Qb UT will turn around quickly and he actually trusts his staff to do what they are paid to do on both sides of the football

Yes, genuine is what comes to mind. Genuine people can change and build positive cultures.

I'd say JP was genuine. A genuine cracker. But genuine.

I'm just sick of dissecting our coaches and looking for reasons to like to them. And then they get completely owned on the field. Just win, baby.

Big facts

Heupel seems like a good guy and a better personality than Beldar but it will come down to can he beat Florida or Georgia and Bama ? and can he get us back to prominence and competing for the SEC east within 4 years?
Heck can he beat georgia state, s. Carolina, Kentucky, and even vandy? It might be a while before we can consistently compete with the top of the sec.

Not getting beat by an average of 4 touchdowns for 3 years will be an improvement.

As annoying as Dabo can be, I do think he's created the right culture in his program by being a player's coach that is very focused on the player's experience while at Clemson. I think Heupel is taking the same approach. My hope is that Heupel can be like Dabo in that regard while also being the offensive innovator like Spurrier was back in the day. I'm excited to see what an offensive/QB-focused guy as head coach can do at Tennessee.

Dabo is two faced though

I like that he seems entirely genuine.

That is something we’ve been missing for a loooooong time.

Also unlike Kiffey, Dools, Botch and Germy he was actually a really good/great player. I know that doesnt guarantee success but at least we finally have someone that played the game. I imagine QBs listen a lot more to a Heisman runner-up than a tuba player.

VN Store

Back