Heupel Deserves Better Than This

Easier to swallow a loss when you are in a shoot out and lose by 7-14 points. We are so used to losing by 30+points getting our eyes beat in and nose broken over to our right ear...it’s hard to imagine anything other than that.
It is hard to remember Dobbs senior year we had the best offense in the SEC. Feels like a lifetime ago.
Not to mention even though our defensive side of the ball is lacking depth...the athletes are arguably the best he’s had to work with.
I don’t see that defensive talent especially with two of the best in the transfer portal and Bryce Thompson leaving for the draft.

Reactions: A.J.
No. Not wrong. Whatever recruiting momentum Heupel is going to have will be at a crossroads no later than the 2022 class. By then he will either have created positive energy around the program by his performance on the field or recruits will see it as another failed hire.

Coaches that do not show something within their first 3 years have to go. Not because it is fair. Not because they don't have talent. They have to go because they no longer have the credibility in recruiting.
In most circumstances you may be right. However Heupel will get an extra year or two to turn it around because the roster is depleted at this time and the buzz at the program is at an all time low.

I don’t see that defensive talent especially with two of the best in the transfer portal and Bryce Thompson leaving for the draft.
Seriously asking, does defensive talent really matter if it is a shootout? I think at that point it is about survival and maybe some breaks going your way.

In most circumstances you may be right. However Heupel will get an extra year or two to turn it around because the roster is depleted at this time and the buzz at the program is at an all time low.
You get extra years when you are likeable and show the fans something. Dooley showed us nothing. Jones and Pruitt were not likeable. I can't believe I am saying this, but Jones showed the most but when the wheels fell off we got rid of him. No one really liked him.

You get extra years when you are likeable and show the fans something. Dooley showed us nothing. Jones and Pruitt were not likeable. I can't believe I am saying this, but Jones showed the most but when the wheels fell off we got rid of him. No one really liked him.
Heupel is going to get at least 4 to show us something especially with White as AD.

I am a fan not a coach.

I am saying he will turn us around.

Just my opinion but he is the first coach since Kiffin I thought was actually good.
On paper it looks like settling and an uninspired hire. He may prove everyone wrong and be a great coach or he can turn into another Jones or Pruitt. No one knows.

New coach knows this is a short term gig.
He will leave messes for the next New Coach.
Since HCPF was fired, the four HCs have averaged a 3 year term .The tenure of New Coach will not move this average very much.
Nice positive attitude there

On paper it looks like settling and an uninspired hire. He may prove everyone wrong and be a great coach or he can turn into another Jones or Pruitt. No one knows.
I mean the guy is 28-8. Not exactly chopped liver. I get that he inherited an unbeaten team but even if Scott Frost hadn’t left for Nebraska, I doubt he would’ve done much better the next 3 years. It’s not like UCF just turned to crap under Heupel. They had another unbeaten regular season and then barely lost to Joe Burrow’s LSU in the bowl game.

I mean the guy is 28-8. Not exactly chopped liver. I get that he inherited an unbeaten team but even if Scott Frost hadn’t left for Nebraska, I doubt he would’ve done much better the next 3 years. It’s not like UCF just turned to crap under Heupel. They had another unbeaten regular season and then barely lost to Joe Burrow’s LSU in the bowl game.

The schedule he played at UCF, just doesn't inspire much confidence. The vast majority of his wins were over bad teams with losing records, and he struggles with recruiting.

He's going to have to step up his game considerably to find success in the SEC, even if "success" just means getting UT to the top of Tier-III.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
If he wants to bounce that $4-5m/yr salary my way, then I'll be willing to stand in and bear this suffering for him OP. It's what friends are willing to do.
And, lest we forget....His buddy AD White got him a BUYOUT that will pay him more to sit on his azz than he was making working that same azz off at UCF.
Incredible, and that's not any kind of comment on his ability as a head coach...rather, it's a comment on the economics of coaching salaries.

Coming into Tn I would compare Heupel to Birch coming to UT and we know how that eventually turned out.

Coming into Tn I would compare Heupel to Birch coming to UT and we know how that eventually turned out.
Butch was 23-14 at Cincinnati, which is several games worse than Heupel was at UCF. And Butch inherited a team from Brian Kelly that went unbeaten in the regular season and only lost a bowl to Florida.

Reactions: Samthebam
Success will fix a lot of these ills...success and good coaching. GBO!
I totally agree with this. Also, it is best to get the toxic players out before we kick off our our practices later this summer. No need to put time and energy into a player and lose him over something stupid or criminal activity. We need a major culture change.

Reactions: BLUTickbusdriver
What was the point of the media sharing this story about Davis a year after the fact?

I felt like a read a few billion words without learning anything.

NCAA infractions. Disfunction in Admin and athletics. Criminal locker room. No wonder this team cannot beat anyone with a heartbeat. No wonder recruits aren’t lining up to join this crap show. Would give a coach 3 years under normal circumstances, but this is a complete do over. How many more players are going to be asked to move on when the semester is over?
One has to cleanse the roster of the disfunctions which has been assembled over the years. AD White is the person who is responsible for this. From what I have seen so far, we are headed in the direction with the hiring of Heupel. Heupel, in his brief time here, seems to be a coach which can get his team together and his staff seem to be able to teach, develop, and maintain a positive attitude. However, there are huge holes in quality personnel at a number of positions. It will take a couple of years to identify the and removing chaff from the roster. Then, with the 25 recruiting limit on recruiting, it will take time to recruiting gain experience to develop a highly competitive football team. We are already in a very tight position with the 2022 recruiting class. Hopefully, we will be able to land some very good players this Fall/Winter, but we have a long way to go and many of the best High School Seniors have already decide where they want to play. However, we we don't panic and demand a SEC Championship in the next two years etc., we may find that we are making substantial progress toward making that goal. Positive support during the next 2/3 years is essential if this is going to happen. Without it, we are bound to experience the same fate we have seen in the last 15 years. This is our chance to get back to the kind of football program we saw in the 1900s and early 2000s. Lets do our part as fans and let the AD and coaches do their jobs without added distractions from our fans.

Bunch of city road hunters asked to hunt turkey on my ridge.
They swore the saw a large flock.
I told them there were none here but to knock themselves out.
Next morning one of the dumb asses shot a buzzard.
I told them the game wardens would like to see such a rare turkey and gave them a telephone number. Said they had a deep fryer and were going to eat it. I told them I heard they were good with mustard. I am as pro- second amendment as anyone. But this is a good example of men who should not be allowed firearms.

Ole Turkey Vultures, thats super funny. That had to be greasy.

The schedule he played at UCF, just doesn't inspire much confidence. The vast majority of his wins were over bad teams with losing records, and he struggles with recruiting.

He's going to have to step up his game considerably to find success in the SEC, even if "success" just means getting UT to the top of Tier-III.

Hey, we have struggled to beat uninspiring teams with losing records on our schedule (Georgia State, BYU, South Carolina, Vandy, Missouri, UK, Arkansas, Miss State, etc.) so I would take someone that can be consistent at the moment.

I am a fan not a coach.

I am saying he will turn us around.

Just my opinion but he is the first coach since Kiffin I thought was actually good.

People that win championships as a player, expect to win championships as a coach.

This guy knows football.

Reactions: NEO
The roster was depleted when Kiffin took over. It was still depleted when Dooley took over.... maybe worse. It was again depleted when Jones took over.... and then when Pruitt took over.

Seems one of the consistent threads with failed coaches... is that they leave questionable rosters.

Heupel can't get an extra year or two. It isn't fair. It isn't a shot at him. It would be the same if it were anyone else. The fact remains that you have to get the attention of recruits within the first 3 years or you won't. They'll move on to the next "shiny new thing".

Jones came as close to success as anyone UT has hired since Fulmer. And even then recruits stopped listening after it was clear that he wasn't getting the most out of his rosters.

You can set the bar lower but he still has to do something that shows he is a great coach early. Right now that could be winning 8 or 9 games and keeping it close with elite teams.... especially if he could score 20+ vs UGA and Bama.

VN Store

Back