Heupel Deserves Better Than This

yawn
Pruitt should and will get 2 more years no matter what. I am not ready to give up on him yet, he is recruiting better and bigger talent. He needs to cut bait with assistants that don't get it done, and he needs to rethink his positions on qb's. I don't agree with how he has stayed with JG, but he has 2 more years to get us winning. Actually next year is going to be important for him, I hope Pruitt makes it I think he could evolve into a great coach. I think he not only inherited a mess he has been on a learning curve himself he hasn't been a head coach before. But we are moving in the right direction in some areas. I hope we go another direction with our qb the rest of the way and start to show some improvement as the season moves forward. Lot's of football left, it's time to buckle down and go get some wins. GBO!!!!!

Reactions: BeardedVol
1. Depleted recruit class.

2. Cloud of NCAA investigation hanging over program.

3. Beasley allegations.

4. Brandon Davis situation.

Heupel is blameless. He did nothing to cause any of this. He is above all this.

Yet, he has to deal with all of this.

Unfair, IMHO.

He has a contract for over $24 million. He'll be fine.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I'll be the first to admit I wasn't sold on the hire. The little I've heard and read, he's been a breath of fresh air, and ejected a renewed spirit and energy into the players and program. I'm pulling for him, maybe he becomes our Spurrier.

Nope. Three years is enough to know whether a coach can coach. Coaches don't become great coaches in 5 years if they aren't already very good coaches in 1 year.

Some of us didn't buy Jones. Some did. Some wanted to so badly that they did. But ultimately the doubts he created in year 1 proved to be his undoing in year 5. The guy didn't have the coaching talent to coach at the SEC level. Same thing with Dooley and Pruitt. Both had the talent to win at least one more game in their first year. Neither did. All three of these coaches demonstrated who they were in year 1. In fact, a "weak" roster may reveal more about a coach's strengths and weaknesses than a strong roster.

Heupel has some disadvantages. Every leader in every situation does. He also has talent to work with and "manage". He couldn't have inherited a more favorable schedule. He has some discipline challenges and a GRAND opportunity to re-establish discipline within the program that is both just and sustainable.

He also benefits from some pretty low expectations. You have people saying 6 wins even against this schedule would be an overachievement.

I like him. I like his personality. I like his reputation for having high character and ability. But you simply cannot give a guy more than 3 or 4 years without him "proving" something. Fans need to see it but most importantly recruits need to see it.
Sometimes I disagree with you on some things but for the most apart we see eye to eye and I couldn't agree more with your post here. 3 years is plenty of time and you certainly can pick up on some things in year 1 to figure out if he's gonna make it. It was clear very early that Jones sucked. Dooley didn't make it much farther down line, and Pruitt had me feeling good until the GA State and BYU games. We got a little fooled with the strong finish after that, I think we benefited from strong leadership from players like Jennings that carried the team. I liked his no nonsense approach, it was such a breath of fresh air compared to the Carnival Barker we had before. But when it got down to it, you have to win games.

I hope Heupel does well. Count me in the group that has low expectations for this first year based on all that's happened, the players we've lost, new coaches, new system, new culture etc. I just dont think hes gonna walk in there and win 7 or 8 in the first year. I'd be super "Heuped" if he did though.

3. Beasley allegations.

Unfair, IMHO.
The multiple million/yr plus contract says otherwise. I would do it in a second for that money.

Nope. Three years is enough to know whether a coach can coach. Coaches don't become great coaches in 5 years if they aren't already very good coaches in 1 year.

Some of us didn't buy Jones. Some did. Some wanted to so badly that they did. But ultimately the doubts he created in year 1 proved to be his undoing in year 5. The guy didn't have the coaching talent to coach at the SEC level. Same thing with Dooley and Pruitt. Both had the talent to win at least one more game in their first year. Neither did. All three of these coaches demonstrated who they were in year 1. In fact, a "weak" roster may reveal more about a coach's strengths and weaknesses than a strong roster.

Heupel has some disadvantages. Every leader in every situation does. He also has talent to work with and "manage". He couldn't have inherited a more favorable schedule. He has some discipline challenges and a GRAND opportunity to re-establish discipline within the program that is both just and sustainable.

He also benefits from some pretty low expectations. You have people saying 6 wins even against this schedule would be an overachievement.

I like him. I like his personality. I like his reputation for having high character and ability. But you simply cannot give a guy more than 3 or 4 years without him "proving" something. Fans need to see it but most importantly recruits need to see it.
Heupel is going to get probably 5 years unless we are only winning 3 games or less every year. ( which is possible).

He is getting paid to handle some of these things ... where I'm impressed Is he knows offense .. he is gonna handle that and let the defensive coaches handle that .. CJP had his hand in all of it .. his Coaches never respected him .. they worked for a pay check only .. he has respect from most of these coaches .. he will have earn others respect .. but I think he is the way to doing that .. must get some players in. . No way can you hold him responsible for these 1st couple years .. my goodness

3. Beasley allegations.

Unfair, IMHO.

Dude, life is unfair sometimes. Oh yeah, he’s being paid millions to deal with this stuff. I think he’ll be ok. TBH this stuff happens at most programs we just don’t hear about it. I’m sure CJH has been around it as a player and a coach.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
NCAA infractions. Disfunction in Admin and athletics. Criminal locker room. No wonder this team cannot beat anyone with a heartbeat. No wonder recruits aren’t lining up to join this crap show. Would give a coach 3 years under normal circumstances, but this is a complete do over. How many more players are going to be asked to move on when the semester is over?

I think Heupel is going to pleasantly surprise a lot of people in year one....even among all the troubles.

I think the team will be better then most think but I am afraid the following year will be when it really falls apart. With all the upper classmen and then the ones who find out they do not fit the system this coming year will want to leave and throw in the NCAA sanctions if any and it will be a mess. Hope I am wrong but just my thoughts for the two cents there worth.

You seem pretty negative about him to me.

Nothing is proven until it is proven. His survival completely depends on how many points he can score with the talent he has now. I suspect any wins they get this year will be primarily because they won a track meet.

Because I'm in "wait and see" mode, and don't take his record at UCF on face value as any guarantee of success (only 10 opponents in his 28 wins had winning records), that's being negative?

Besides that, I'm just honest with myself about the hire. For the price range, he's probably the best coach for the amount of money the administration wanted to spend, but the reality is that he wasn't a candidate for any other P5 coaching position, and he doesn't get the job at UT without Danny White being hired as AD.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Because I'm in "wait and see" mode, and don't take his record at UCF on face value as any guarantee of success (only 10 opponents in his 28 wins had winning records), that's being negative?

Besides that, I'm just honest with myself about the hire. For the price range, he's probably the best coach for the amount of money the administration wanted to spend, but the reality is that he wasn't a candidate for any other P5 coaching position, and he doesn't get the job at UT without Danny White being hired as AD.
You all keep thinking money was a limitation on hiring, but only because no P5 winning coach is leaving a good program to coach in this overflowing outhouse. The prior coach and AD maybe thought that’s robbery, animal cruelty, and shooting a teammate were all good team building and these were the guys getting McDonald’s sacks. Paying the players really helped get more wins.

Time will tell who’s “better”. Book hasn’t been written. Currently Franklin is a proven commodity but Elliott sure as hell isn’t.

That would only serve to prove whether or not Tennessee "got lucky" in hiring Huepel.

The fact remains, the only reason we have Huepel as coach is because the stink was so great around campus that more desirable candidates turned up their noses.

Hmmm, we paid a coach and his staff a heck of a lot of money but, if things are as bad as Tennessee fans keep saying, he can take the money and run. Does not sound like a lot of risk in the decision to take the money to me.

Hmmm, we paid a coach and his staff a heck of a lot of money but, if things are as bad as Tennessee fans keep saying, he can take the money and run. Does not sound like a lot of risk in the decision to take the money to me.
Don’t think the coach is a quitter based on past history, but if the Admin told him we have NCAA problems, we have a group of players who are robbers, we have an animal abuser, oh and I just remembered we have one player still on the roster who shot another player, but that happens everywhere, so no big deal, he blocks all known Vol numbers.

You all keep thinking money was a limitation on hiring, but only because no P5 winning coach is leaving a good program to coach in this overflowing outhouse. The prior coach and AD maybe thought that’s robbery, animal cruelty, and shooting a teammate were all good team building and these were the guys getting McDonald’s sacks. Paying the players really helped get more wins.

Lack of money was not a limitation, willingness to spend money by the administration, has been and was a limitation in hiring a HC.

White offered Franklin $7 million per.

3. Beasley allegations.

Unfair, IMHO.
Not sure how that could be unfair when we just gave him a massive increase in pay, likely more than he would get anywhere else right now, and he knew most of it coming in. Everyone has different definitions of what is “fair” but I really don’t see how this situation could be considered unfair to Heupel. Maybe you meant something else?

That would only serve to prove whether or not Tennessee "got lucky" in hiring Huepel.

The fact remains, the only reason we have Huepel as coach is because the stink was so great around campus that more desirable candidates turned up their noses.
Only one that was known as “better” turned it down. So I hope Heupel gets to coach at least one game.

Lack of money was not a limitation, willingness to spend money by the administration, has been and was a limitation in hiring a HC.
Yeah they could have broken the bank and got Mike McCarthy. Maybe even paid big money for Jason Garrett. Sure they told the search firm they had BIG money to spend, but no P5 winning coaches would take it. Could not even get a hot P5 coordinator to take it. The only reason Heuple is here is White and that is because he trusts him. If you hire Xyz as AD then Heuple is not even here. Leap of faith by White and Heuple that they can change the crap.

VN Store

Back