Heupel’s yard monster gobbling offenses

Just remember a couple of things here:
1. They only lost by three to #7 Cincinnati.
2. 11 players opted out that he relied on in 2020.
3. His offenses were in the top 5 for three years, only behind Alabama and Clemson.
4. I took a relook at what he did at Mizzou when he was offensive co. The quarterback there had all kinds of passing yards. He was tops in the sec in passing.
5. What he taught in Oklahoma was phenomenal as well.
6. Now I know that the vols are going through a lot, and that’s understandable, but what we are witnessing in practice three right now is a quicker offense already.
7. Just a change of quicker pace of these players learning this system is a sigh of relief just for vol fans I do believe.

Good points. I was just pointing out that Heupel's human and may take a season or two before his offense is "monster gobbling", and defense is holding opponents to numbers that equal Ws.

Not buying into the hype anymore, tired of being let down. Taking the attitude of the state of Missouri: Show me on the field then I will decide.

Agreed. I will watch and cheer UT each Saturday, but I’m in a wait and see approach. Especially with the defense.

Reactions: GoVols15
Ga was only 2 games better with a roster full of 4 and 5* talent. And looked horrible against Arkansas, Mississippi St, the Vols for a half (you can thank JG for that) and Cincinnati.

See what I did there

JG was a little higher rated than Stetson Bennett, no? And our center spotted you 7 of your first half/game points. Total yds - 431/214, First downs - 24/13, Rushing yds - 193-/(-1) (that's not on JG)

Good points. I was just pointing out that Heupel's human and may take a season or two before his offense is "monster gobbling", and defense is holding opponents to numbers that equal Ws.
UT's O has averaged around 21 ppg against ALL opponents over the past 3 years. In 2017, they had an abysmal 14.1 ppg. The bar to please most of us... isn't all that high. Here's another point of departure for you... UT scored over 40 points only twice after JG became the starter. One was Vandy in '20. The other was USCe in 19 when UT scored 2 or 3 NOTs.

To say we are starved for an O that might even be able to look good against a team like BGSU... is a massive understatement. If the Vols can have some spunk and look like they have a pulse against Bama and UF... all the better.

You have one of the most talented rosters in football. In the past... that hasn't mattered that much when you played UT. For whatever reason, UT doesn't fear UGA like they do UF. The Vols can always be counted on to play poorly against UF and to frequently play over their heads against UGA. Don't know why. Frankly I would rather it be the other way round... but it is what we see.

JG was a little higher rated than Stetson Bennett, no? And our center spotted you 7 of your first half/game points. Total yds - 431/214, First downs - 24/13, Rushing yds - 193-/(-1) (that's not on JG)

Anyone who has spent any amount of time on this site knows that everything that has went wrong in the last 10 years is the fault of one of these 5 people:

Lane Kiffin
Derek Dooley
Butch Jones
Jeremy Pruitt
Jarrett Guarantano

Only two were around for that game so there is a 50% chance VolForLife83 was correct in attributing blame to JG.

I really hope UGA gets slammed with NCAA Sanctions and gets the death penalty.

Garbage program, garbage fans, f*** them.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time on this site knows that everything that has went wrong in the last 10 years is the fault of one of these 5 people:

Lane Kiffin
Derek Dooley
Butch Jones
Jeremy Pruitt
Jarrett Guarantano

Only two were around for that game so there is a 50% chance VolForLife83 was correct in attributing blame to JG.
You left Mike Hamilton off the list... the actual right answer to the question.

It's fun to speculate on what UT will or will not look like -- but with so much of the hype and nega-vol every year for the last two decades I really temper my expectations. Simply put: I hope the offense is fun as hell to watch and if the Def can progress maybe we start winning more games, attracting more talent, and see where it goes. Otherwise, I really don't think much either way. UT is an enigma every year.

Tennessee’s offense will be better this year for a few reasons:
1: Despite losing some talent on offense from a transfer situation, we also won’t have JG leading the show.
2: Better coaching and an offensive plan that gets playmakers the ball in space.
3: No Pruitt to micromanage the offensive side of the ball.
4: Fast paced offense that reduces the advantage of deep teams.
If Tennessee can get a defense that plays better than last year, we will win a few more games. Probably take 2-3 years before Tennessee is competing for the SEC east, but in my estimation, we won’t be pushover laughing stocks.

VN Store

Back