Heupel’s offense is not innovative

The Original Fade

The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?

The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?
prepare to be roasted for telling the truth

Simplicity and repetition is part of the design of the spread. Heupel isn't necessarily innovative (this has been around for years) but he has a particular flavor that uses long shots down the field to open up the run.

For a good run down of the spread and why it uses repetition, look at this analysis of Oregon's Kelly-era offense.

Understanding the Oregon Spread Offense Tutorial Series | FishDuck

Are you saying in general up to this point so far this season or today's game in particular? Because they're going to be as vanilla as it gets playing an FCS school before FL. It's very early in the season and he hasn't even found a QB wait. Give him a little time before we start throwing the life boats in and diving in after them. His situational playcalling has been great imo and he's put his players in a position to succeed, but he can't go out there and make that 40yd throw to a wide open WR for a TD that gets overthrown like when we were up 7-0 on Pitt on our 2nd drive. He's overthrown several, but if he actually puts those throws on the money I wonder if people would still think it was a basic scheme....

The offense itself is not that inventive. What Huepel is does is force the defense to show it's hand before the snap of the ball. That helps an offense (QB) be more effective because he knows before the snap of the ball which half of the field the ball is going to. All the RPO stuff is not new but his version is a little different and they really do not run the RPO that much.

What the heck are you talking about? We have seen our WRs alone past the secondary on every deep passing play this season. No interceptions and passes under 10 yards are clockwork. All we need is some better Oline run blocking and this offense is going to be the best thing you have seen since Cut. Sorry you are bored watching the back up offense in a 56 point blow out.

Are you saying in general up to this point so far this season or today's game in particular? Because they're going to be as vanilla as it gets playing an FCS school before FL. It's very early in the season and he hasn't even found a QB wait. Give him a little time before we start throwing the life boats in and diving in after them. His situational playcalling has been great imo and he's put his players in a position to succeed, but he can't go out there and make that 40yd throw to a wide open WR for a TD that gets overthrown like when we were up 7-0 on Pitt on our 2nd drive. He's overthrown several, but if he actually puts those throws on the money I wonder if people would still think it was a basic scheme....

Did you see anything different vs Pitt? Maybe a few more deep shots?

I didn't expect to see anything exotic against Tennessee Tech.

He has scored 30 points or more in every game he has coached and wins at a 78% rate. I’ll take it

Do you expect it to be in year 1? Some of y'all have unrealistic expectations.

VN Store

Back