Here's where things might get rough...

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Coming into the season, most folks here were predicting we'd go 4-8, or 5-7, or at best 6-6. Not many were predicting better.

Well, we now have 6-6 all but locked in. Great job, lads. Great job, coaches. Real proud of all of you. AND if we can pull one win out of the next four games, we exceed most folks' expectations. That's the good news.

The bad news is, this next four weeks (five, counting the bye week) are going to be a real challenge.

-- The Ole Miss game is going to be a shootout. The Rebels got 52 points today. We got 45. It wouldn't surprise me for next week's scoreboard to look something like that. Trouble is, shootout games can go either way. Last one to hold the ball wins, kind of thing. I'm not nearly as confident of a W next week as I have been these past two.

-- Bama, goes without saying, they're just on a different tier from most of college football.

-- Kentucky, I think we got. This is, in my mind, the pretty solid 7th-win card. I wouldn't mind if we got to 7 off Ole MIss, but Kentucky is I think our best shot.

-- UGa, lot like Bama minus the offense. Their defense is just smothering.

And Nega-Vols, control yourselves. A lot of this is going to look ugly. We are not going to be in control much of the time in these four games. We're going to be in dog fights, at best, and some of them will likely be beat-downs. Calm down. Breathe. Let's see how we come out the other end. And keep the big picture in mind.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
This team starts games on fire which puts teams in bad positions. If they can keep it up they gonna beat teams they shouldnt 6 wins min I think they hit at least 7 without a bowl. Maybe more get Healthy and sky is the limit.

We got our 2 out of 3 with wins over Missouri and South Carolina - Kentucky would be a bonus. But Ole Miss is winnable - a long shot but we could win if we play really well. It will depend in part on how many players we get back from the disabled list - we are thin, thin, thin!

Kentucky I think we have a shot at, then the other three, probably not.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Coming into the season, most folks here were predicting we'd go 4-8, or 5-7, or at best 6-6. Not many were predicting better.

Well, we now have 6-6 all but locked in. Great job, lads. Great job, coaches. Real proud of all of you. AND if we can pull one win out of the next four games, we exceed most folks' expectations. That's the good news.

The bad news is, this next four weeks (five, counting the bye week) is going to be a real challenge.

-- The Ole Miss game is going to be a shootout. The Rebels got 52 points today. We got 45. It wouldn't surprise me for next week's scoreboard to look something like that. Trouble is, shootout games can go either way. Last one to hold the ball wins, kind of thing. I'm not nearly as confident of a W next week as I have been these past two.

-- Bama, goes without saying, they're just on a different tier from most of college football.

-- Kentucky, I think we got. This is, in my mind, the pretty solid 7-win card. I wouldn't mind if we got to 7 off Ole MIss, but Kentucky is I think our best shot.

And Nega-Vols, control yourselves. A lot of this is going to look ugly. We are not going to be in control much of the time in these four games. We're going to be in dog fights, at best, and some of them will likely be beat-downs. Calm down. Breathe. Let's see how we come out the other end. And keep the big picture in mind.

Go Vols!

I thought this was going to be a 4 win team based off of past development, attrition, and depth. The results this staff has squeezed from this squad is amazing.

Not only are we getting wins, we’re putting up a lot of points. The defensive side of the ball is the biggest surprise for me. Tennessee football is exciting again.

The bad news is, this next four weeks (five, counting the bye week) is going to be a real challenge.

-- Kentucky, I think we got. This is, in my mind, the pretty solid 7-win card. I wouldn't mind if we got to 7 off Ole MIss, but Kentucky is I think our best shot.

Go Vols!
Well stated. We’ll take a step back during the next 4 most likely...but come out ahead in the end.

Heupel has shown me what I was looking for already. We are improving, developing, and winning the games we should. I’ve not yet been embarrassed by the product on the field....despite how short handed we are.

The future is bright.

Look, this team is performing very well given the constraints CJH has faced, and we all know them!

I love the fight in this team and I love the coaching staff . . . 6-6, 7-5, or 8-4 . . . regardless CJH and company have put a team on the field that doesn't quit!!! And whatever you want to say, Banks is becoming a VERY GOOD LB!! I will take the "ticky-tack" roughing the passer while playing aggressive . . . no offensive penalties . . . nice vertical game . . . great running game . . . the entire package.

I love this team! I love this staff!!

GO BIG DAMN ORANGE!

Look, this team is performing very well given the constraints CJH has faced, and we all know them!

I love the fight in this team and I love the coaching staff . . . 6-6, 7-5, or 8-4 . . . regardless CJH and company have put a team on the field that doesn't quit!!! And whatever you want to say, Banks is becoming a VERY GOOD LB!! I will take the "ticky-tack" roughing the passer while playing aggressive . . . no offensive penalties . . . nice vertical game . . . great running game . . . the entire package.

I love this team! I love this staff!!

GO BIG DAMN ORANGE!

I definitely want to steal at least one between Ole Miss and KY and then win out against S. AL and Vandy. More than anything…I want Heupel to win Coach of the Year in the SEC. Be tough though with what Pittman is doing at Arky, but this is much more enjoyable football to watch.

Reactions: BigDave
UT beats UK by ten in Lexington and will give ole miss a ball game in Neyland. If we bring it on offense we definitely have a chance to pull the upset over the rebels. GBO!!!
The fact that it is in lexington is the only thing I worry about. It will be sold out since we are the most important game on their schedule.

Reactions: O.G.HomeGrownUTVOL

The bad news is, this next four weeks (five, counting the bye week) are going to be a real challenge.

-- Kentucky, I think we got. This is, in my mind, the pretty solid 7th-win card. I wouldn't mind if we got to 7 off Ole MIss, but Kentucky is I think our best shot.

Go Vols!

Just win the next game and take it from there!

Ole miss and Kentucky are both super winnable games. I believe our offense is on par with ole miss but I believe our defense is much better. If we just win 1 of the next 4 games we end up with a 7 win regular season with a chance to get to 8. That would guve heupel a lot to build on going into the off season. It’ll be hard not to look back at Pitt (and ultimately giving the starting job to Milton and not even allowing anyone else to get a look). But whatever. This season still has a chance to be really great

We got our 2 out of 3 with wins over Missouri and South Carolina - Kentucky would be a bonus. But Ole Miss is winnable - a long shot but we could win if we play really well. It will depend in part on how many players we get back from the disabled list - we are thin, thin, thin!

Just remember Ole Miss defense is every bit as bad as their offense is good. If our offense plays as clean as they did during Mizzou and first half of SCAR, we could very well win. But we do need to gets some players back healthy, especially on defense.

OK, lets take a deep breath here. First, I'm so proud of our guys today. This was a game we just HAD to have. It opens up a real shot at a bowl game, which is huge for this team, builds some potential recruiting momentum, and continues more positive talk about the program. However, don't forget that S. Alabama has a better team than anyone here recognizes and a solid defense top 20 in numerous categories, so don't just take them as an automatic. At this point, this team cannot take any team for a auto W. Ole Miss will roll up the points against us and expose our very spunky defense......we are just too thin and undermanned. The question will be can we keep it close? South Carolina exposed how to slow us down today in the 2nd half. So the coaches will have to learn from what was done today. But lets enjoy this one today. Go Vols.

Go Vols!
I agree that the the players & coaches have done a good job.
To be fair, 96.3% of posters here predicted 6-6 or better. At least they did in this poll.
Prediction on W/L record after spring game

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back