Here's the real problem...

KennyMayne

and it has been for a long, long time. CBSSports.com listed the top 100 NFL prospects for 2022, only one Vol is on the list, Cade Mays at 75. The number of quality players being recruited has dropped, and the development of players has been near nonexistent for over a decade. Hopefully Coach Heupel and staff can fix both those issues, especially the latter.

iu

and it has been for a long, long time. CBSSports.com listed the top 100 NFL prospects for 2022, only one Vol is on the list, Cade Mays at 75. The number of quality players being recruited has dropped, and the development of players has been near nonexistent for over a decade. Hopefully Coach Heupel and staff can fix both those issues, especially the latter.
And we're not winning. That's a problem too.

source.gif

The number of quality players bring recruited means squat.
They only count if they SIGN. Quality players do not sign very often with third rate bottom feeding programs.
The only people who develop work in a darkroom in film industry.
Coaches coach players. They cannot change speed, desire, or athletic ability.
They cannot change thistles into roses.

Reactions: KennyMayne
It has been the problem. I remember three years ago going into the season. Marquez Calloway was selected third team as punt returner. The only player from Tennessee selected on All SEC team that year. Pitiful.

Hopefully Coach _________________ and staff can fix both those issues. Fill in the blank.

Can Heupel recruit well enough to compete at the highest level in the SEC? That’s the big question
He can if he can get some victories.

I am convinced that Pruitt’s style of coaching caused regression, not improvement. I remember Doug Mathews one Sunday morning was so Frustrated, he actually criticized the coach and staff. I like Doug, but being Fulmer’s bud, rarely did he criticize. In this instance he used Alabama as an example. Paraphrasing:
“ Alabama has a receiver that is a playmaker. They get the ball in his hands almost every other play, and UT has this speedy receiver, Hyatt- scores a TD on his first catch in the first half , and in the second half, they went to him one more time. Get the ball in the hands of the playmakers “

And of course Butch Jones had the future NFL rookie of the year as 2nd string.

Last years OL was as good a talent as we’ve had in a decade, but they missed a lot of blocking assignments.. Really, just an average OL.

Our coaches (including assistants) seem dumber than dumb at times. If Heupel is a real coach instead of a car salesman, or a hayseed, it might just work out.

Chicken or egg scenario.
we must win to attract top level talent but we can’t win without top level talent.
Yeah it can be tough. But thankfully Pruitt did one thing well at least. Recruit.

Even with all the departures, the cupboard was not bare for CJH.

He can win now. He needs to win now...
7-8 wins would completely transform the outlook moving forward.

They only count if they SIGN. Quality players do not sign very often with third rate bottom feeding programs.

Actually they can change all those things. Go back to sleep.

The real problem is a bunch of stupid lists and rankings and opinions that a bunch of people come up with to fill space. Every year in the draft half of the players in the 1st and 2nd round are ones you never heard of..media overkill

I think the real problem lies within the administration since like when Dickey left. They've chosen to take a back seat for whatever reason and i have no idea why.

Reactions: KennyMayne
Obviously this is correct...need the players. But, I also think it's tale of three bad coaches. Dooley recruited skill players pretty well, but ignored OL. Butch recruited well enough, but when they got on campus the recruiting pitch didn't match the experience, and we had a constant turnstile of players transfering after their first year, if not before, keeping us always in the "youngest team" excuse (notwithstanding coaching malpractice). Pruitt also recruited pretty well, but his system didn't yield excitement on offense while decent on D most of the time...and in an offense first game SEC is playing today, he'd never catch up. That's why I think HP has a chance. Even at a talent deficit if the offense system strains the D, it can be an equalizer. If we can somehow field an average D, we've got a chance of doing better than expected...IMO.

So those 3star players that went to the NFL from UCF werent developed?

Speed can be improved...desire can be trained. And athletic ability can be developed.

If this weren't true, why practice anything other than play reps? Why do weight training? Speed training?

Leaders who are successful create and develop desire to succeed.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
I think the real problem lies within the administration since like when Dickey left. They've chosen to take a back seat for whatever reason and i have no idea why.

Who does the administration answer to? Who do the trustees answer to? If we figure out who really calls the shots then we can fix the problem. The middle managers represent the wishes of those above them.

Can Heupel recruit well enough to compete at the highest level in the SEC? That’s the big question

I think that until the NCAA Investigation ,(which HASN’T even began yet) is over and probation ( which could be VERY SEVERE) are over completely, there is no way to recruit around that

VN Store

Back