Here's The College Football News Analysis Of The 2020 Tennessee Football Team

They were this year.....and they are just behind us in recruiting cept Mizzou.......other the Orange delusions what makes them a sure victory?

UT destroyed the cocks and did not surrender any points in the second half this past season. The writing is on the wall for CWM. Gamecock program is clearly on the decline while ours is on the upswing. Mizzou just fired their coach & it appears that is going to a rebuild for Drinkwitz. UK has the best shot; however, UT is normally peaking by the time we play UK (even when we suck). CJP has shown two years in a row he can get the better of a one-dimensional offense that UK runs. Bottom line, we typically recruit better than all three of these programs & we have better players. Would you trade rosters with UK, SCAR, or Mizzou’s over UT’s?

Tougher schedule this year. I'm with you in seeing 7-8 wins next year.
We need a steady couple of seasons where we beat the teams we are supposed to beat and eventually start to sprinkle in an upset along the way. If we were to bang out a win vs even just one of the “big 4” on our schedule next year, I would consider that being ahead of schedule. But to be honest, you could say this past season should’ve been a 10 win season.
GBO!!

Don't see it. I honestly think Mizzou is on a slide into a hell deeper than UT is trying to climb out of. Their chances of holding on were to find someone who was more or less a Pinkel clone. Winning @ Mizzou isn't easy. You have to be able to consistently find diamonds in the rough. Pinkel had a formula that worked. To scrap what he did and start over would take many years... and would still require finding 2* and 3* players that develop into 4* contributors.

I think UT will smoke USCe. I think UT is more talented and better coached.

You and I somewhat share some of the same views on JG. I don't think this changes with JG at QB. I think those 8 will be wins. Where he would hold the season back is the other 4 IMO.
Yea we agree on JG. Thats part of why I think that...
Mizzou is our best chance as a sure thing....out of those 3. But KY (better Sos same record as us) is improving and is said to have a real QB in Gatewood..

SC wont be breaking in a freshman QB...Bently beat us his sophmore year as well...Hillinski is better...

As far as recruiting, anything after 10-15 range in rank is tossing stones. BOTH Ky and SC are ranked near us

UT destroyed the cocks and did not surrender any points in the second half this past season. The writing is on the wall for CWM. Gamecock program is clearly on the decline while ours is on the upswing. Mizzou just fired their coach & it appears that is going to a rebuild for Drinkwitz. UK has the best shot; however, UT is normally peaking by the time we play UK (even when we suck). CJP has shown two years in a row he can get the better of a one-dimensional offense that UK runs. Bottom line, we typically recruit better than all three of these programs & we have better players. Would you trade rosters with UK, SCAR, or Mizzou’s over UT’s?
I never thought I would ever say this, but, next year should be the year that we firmly cement ourselves back ahead of S. Carolina, Kentucky and Vandy in the East and leave those clown programs where they belong, in the rear view. We will soon be setting our sites on Georgia and putting them in their rightful place of 3rd in the Eastern division.
GBO!!

Probably 7-5 . . . until we get the boneheaded penalties at crucial times out of our system, we are always in danger of losing 1 or 2 games that we should win easily.

The self-inflicted adversity remained a problem all year, to include the bowl game. That is what worries me - we never really got much better all season in that area. While our guys showed that they can fight back, there were many times when there should not have been anything to fight back through. We came out flat, fell behind, made costly errors at really bad times, and (in general) didn't put our boot on the opponent's neck when we could have to seal games early.

And I won't bother to go into detail on those two inexcusable losses at the beginning of the year. Those proved that we are fully capable of losing to anybody, anywhere, at any time.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I like our defense alot...so no I wouldn't..

Reactions: tennvols77
But KY (better Sos same record as us) is improving and is said to have a real QB in Gatewood..
I personally think we've seen their high water mark. Their "rise" always had more to do with UT's fall and the troubles of a few others than them getting a whole lot better. I do think Stoops has done a great job. I wish he had gotten out while he could. IMO, UT will beat the snot out of them on both sides of the LOS. I think UT will be much better overall on D this year.

I believe UT has been more talented even through the down years. I have more confidence that Pruitt knows how to use a talent advantage than Jones.

SC wont be breaking in a freshman QB...Bently beat us his sophmore year as well...Hillinski is better...
They had 1798 rush yards this past year which gave a little bit of stability to a really unstable O. The top 3 guys accounting for 1402 of those yards... are gone. They lose by far their best WR from a very thin and mediocre group.

I like Hilinski too. Good QB. He isn't going to have enough weapons around him.

They were even worse than UT in scoring O last year. They were worse than UT on D last year and UT looks poised to improve somewhat significantly this year. UT has recruited better of late... and I'm personally just not a believer in Muschamp.

As far as recruiting, anything after 10-15 range in rank is tossing stones. BOTH Ky and SC are ranked near us
Well, you can't look at a single year and draw those kinds of conclusions. And there is possibly more distinction between say the #15 class and the #30 class than between #15 and #7.

Clemson's rise to national significance was on recruiting classes that were no better than #7 and averaged #11 or #12.

Last edited:
I personally think we've seen their high water mark. Their "rise" always had more to do with UT's fall and the troubles of a few others than them getting a whole lot better. I do think Stoops has done a great job. I wish he had gotten out while he could. IMO, UT will beat the snot out of them on both sides of the LOS. I think UT will be much better overall on D this year.

I believe UT has been more talented even through the down years. I have more confidence that Pruitt knows how to use a talent advantage than Jones.

They had 1798 rush yards this past year which gave a little bit of stability to a really unstable O. The top 3 guys accounting for 1402 of those yards... are gone. They lose by far their best WR from a very thin and mediocre group.

I like Hilinski too. Good QB. He isn't going to have enough weapons around him.

They were even worse than UT in scoring O last year. They were worse than UT on D last year and UT looks poised to improve somewhat significantly this year. UT has recruited better of late... and I'm personally just not a believer in Muschamp.

Well, you can't look at a single year and draw those kinds of conclusions. And there is possibly more distinction between say the #15 class and the #30 class than between #15 and #7.

Clemson's rise to national significance was on recruiting classes that were no better than #7 and averaged #11 or #12.[/QUOTE]
Love your breakdowns and hope your right!!!

Reactions: sjt18
Nobody scares me on our schedule next year. Everyone we play had big losses especially on offense so I agree we can get to 10 wins pre bowl game. But I do think a 8-4 season and us being competitive in every game is progression and a step in the right direction. As with most teams, the QB play will determine how this next year goes and I think somebody (JG, HB, Maurer) steps up and leads us to a successful season.

GBFO!

I haven't seen anything out of Pruitt that makes me think we can win more than 7 games next season.

I would take 10-2 in a heartbeat. However, thats unlikely. Even more unlikely is us losing to UGA but somehow beating Bama. That doesn't make sense. Idc about Bama @ home in Neyland. Bama is going to be likely considerably better than UGA next year. Majority of Bama's issues were on defense last year. They're returning majority of those players along with Moses who didn't even play last year. Mac Jones will be a better qb next year for them as well after a full off season seeing #1 reps, granted Bryce Young doesn't win the job. (Which might actually bode better for us him being an untested true freshmen). We'll match up much better with UGA next year in comparison to Bama.

I haven't seen anything out of Pruitt that makes me think we can win more than 7 games next season.
Should have won 9 plus the bowl this past year.

He and his staff are better teachers of the game and developers of talent than any staff in a long time. Outside of Cutcliffe... I'd say they're better than any Fulmer staff.

You can still do a lot to screw up as a coach. But if UT's QB play improves (which IMO requires a change at #1) then this team should win 9 or 10 games.

I would take 10-2 in a heartbeat. However, thats unlikely. Even more unlikely is us losing to UGA but somehow beating Bama. That doesn't make sense. Idc about Bama @ home in Neyland. Bama is going to be likely considerably better than UGA next year. Majority of Bama's issues were on defense last year. They're returning majority of those players along with Moses who didn't even play last year. Mac Jones will be a better qb next year for them as well after a full off season seeing #1 reps, granted Bryce Young doesn't win the job. (Which might actually bode better for us him being an untested true freshmen). We'll match up much better with UGA next year in comparison to Bama.
Could have just been arbitrary... or maybe he looked at match ups and thought UGA looked more difficult?

I don't see Georgia as the toughest team on our schedule either. They lost a ton of starting talent in places that aren't easy to quickly replace. Also, their wide receivers are flat-out garbage.

George Pickens is anything but garbage, kid is one of the best in the country already. He is an All-American talent if he keeps his nose clean and stays healthy.

Mizzou? UK? (Uh I think their offense left) and SC. SC May be a a tossup; but I really doubt it. We should line up and "Maul" em.

Looking at this years schedule, a win against any of them, would not surprise me. I don't see any automatic losses. That being said, a loss to any team on the schedule would not surprise me.

VN Store

Back