Here is reality. We let UF put up 600 yards….

Let's compare two possibilities:

We end the year 10-2, but give up more than 500 yards in three of the wins.

Or we end the year 7-5, but our defense comes on strong and doesn't give up more than 300 yards again this year.

Which you prefer?

Me too.

It's not about the defense in isolation. Nor is it about the offense in isolation. It's about our defense and special teams breaking serve on them often enough that we reliably score more often than they do.

And our lads did that tonight. Our defense broke serve often enough to allow our offense to win. And our offense scored often enough to allow our defense to win.

That's how it works.

Go Vols!

I do see that; however I also see 4-0.

I see Tennessee has yet to play 2 teams which are “supposed” to beat them…….other than that there’s really only LSU or Kentucky left who are probably on the level of or better than Florida or Pitt.

Yes if Tennessee wants to have any chance at Georgia or Bama the D has to be better especially on passing situations. However for a good to even great season (not championship)……..does it really have to get better?

Take out Bama and Georgia…….not everyone else is going to be able to pass lights out, not everyone else will get miracles……..If Tennessee simply keeps being Tennessee on O and keeps playing good on run D they should do pretty good.

hey I’m down for them to improve……..I’m just saying I’m not “convinced” they have to.

Excuse me for expecting more. Apparently people here are happy being mediocre. We will always be middle of the road SEC team I suppose.

You really should care. Florida is not a good team. Defensive deficiencies made this game closer than it should be. Do you think Nick Saban would be giddy for giving up 600+ yards and 453 yards to a horrible QB?

I remember Saban being happy about a win last week despite getting outplayed.

A win is a win. Reset and fix it going forward.

It’s almost as if you would have rather we lost because “we deserved it”. Even though we didn’t.

Hooker put up heisman numbers. We beat Florida despite almost literally everything going their way. It’s year 2 of the Heupel era. We are finding ways to win. 4-0. I have nothing but positivity right now.

The defense has to get better. Period.
As the old saying goes, you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. Not a lot of talent in defense. We're limited. We get a few stops per game and hope that will be enough to grab a win. For this team with this roster to be 4-0 with wins over Pitt and UF is a minor miracle. Enjoy it.

We lucked up and beat them. That was a piss poo performance. No one should be happy, we should expect more. The bar should be higher.
We shouldnt be happy to be 4-0? Hmmmmmm. Thats as good as you can get through 4 games. UT didnt get lucky to win the game, UF was lucky to still be in the game.

This was Florida and Richardson is a good QB. They always play their best game against us. I can't understand why people want to wallow in phony negative narratives after a victory. Richardson ain't an easy guy to sack. We had to make him beat us with his arm and he has the talent to do it. We stifled their run game. When have we ever not made even a pedestrian FL QB not look like a Tom Brady? AR was a TB that could run. But we had a better offense. Game over. Time to heal up and think about LSU.

Reactions: vols2345
You really should care. Florida is not a good team. Defensive deficiencies made this game closer than it should be. Do you think Nick Saban would be giddy for giving up 600+ yards and 453 yards to a horrible QB?
No I don’t really care. Every game is different. Just win baby. Esp in the sec vs gators. Finally got that monkey off our back.

News flash: we’re in year 2 of a major rebuild and turnaround. We ain’t Bama or GA. Sorry not sorry. Heup & co are finding a way to win and exorcise old ghosts that have haunted our program for what seems like forever. I don’t really care how we get it done we ain’t dominating anybody with our roster yet we’re winning. Miraculous really.

It’s our time to shine. I’m down for the rollercoaster ride from here

Yes it will always be the case. This game result will absolutely never change. We won. UF lost. In the book

Maybe they can go cash all those yards in for free stuff at the Dollar Tree or something
Now look, I'm with you, but don't bash Dollar tree, I shop there!

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
If you feel anything other then unbridled Joy after beating Florida then I feel bad for you. There's always concerns and ways to improve after every game. This program has owned our ass for 20 years. I have zero time for criticism or concern tonight.

I told my kid if you are hiding anything bad now is the time to come clean

Wonder if Napier would let me trot out against the vols next year so I can look like a Heisman candidate? That’s what Tennessee defenses are good for!

I remember Saban being happy about a win last week despite getting outplayed.

A win is a win. Reset and fix it going forward.

It’s almost as if you would have rather we lost because “we deserved it”. Even though we didn’t.

Hooker put up heisman numbers. We beat Florida despite almost literally everything going their way. It’s year 2 of the Heupel era. We are finding ways to win. 4-0. I have nothing but positivity right now.
If Hooker put up Heisman numbers, what kind of numbers did AR put up? At this rate, we will have trouble beating KY, Vandy and LSU. If the offense has an off night it's a wrap. The defense can't be counted on.

VN Store

Back