Here is all of our stat rankings compared to last season's...

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is very interesting. What the conceal may be even more so.
I've never understood why folks slam on statistics. Of course there is always more to the story than just stats but when someone just throws them to the side as meaning nothing always is bothersome to me. In my experience athletes that hate statistics are usually the ones that had bad stats but played hard and produced a few winning plays, plays they think prove they are every bit as good as the guy producing stats. It just doesn't work that way I feel. I agree with you in that stats don't tell the whole story but I personally feel they tell most of the story over time.

I see that we countered the "No risk, no reward" saying and took more risk and reaped more reward. Passing offense up essentially across the board even though we had more interceptions. Playing/rotating 3 QB's likely contributed to that. Explosive plays and passing plays more than 20+ yards ... way up.

Reactions: RollerVol
I've never understood why folks slam on statistics. Of course there is always more to the story than just stats but when someone just throws them to the side as meaning nothing always is bothersome to me. In my experience athletes that hate statistics are usually the ones that had bad stats but played hard and produced a few winning plays, plays they think prove they are every bit as good as the guy producing stats. It just doesn't work that way I feel. I agree with you in that stats don't tell the whole story but I personally feel they tell most of the story over time.

I'm not throwing statistics aside. Simply stating as you have, that statistics don't tell the entire story. It's easy to manipulate data to prove a point one way or another. Not sure what, about my statement is incorrect. Baseball as a sport is stat. crazy. They have a place, but they do not tell the whole story. That's all I was pointing out.

While the statistics show that Tennessee was dead last in the SEC last year in most categories. They improved to be approximately 11th in the SEC in most categories. When you look at wins and losses Tennessee is 6th. Statistically Tennessee hasn't improved significantly. But they have made great strides in wins and losses. What statistics hid was way more interesting.

Mark Twain popularized the phrase "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics" which was the title of my collegiate Statistics text. The reason for suspicion of statistics thrown about is generally towards polling numbers, or numbers attributed to opinion. The way a question is asked, and the selection of questions often is intentionally skewing the results to the desired polemic.
That said, observing overarching raw data that is imperial in nature generally presents a good picture of the subject. Proper sampling is not a factor, unless you are looking at only one phase of the data.

I'm not throwing statistics aside. Simply stating as you have, that statistics don't tell the entire story. It's easy to manipulate data to prove a point one way or another. Not sure what, about my statement is incorrect. Baseball as a sport is stat. crazy. They have a place, but they do not tell the whole story. That's all I was pointing out.

While the statistics show that Tennessee was dead last in the SEC last year in most categories. They improved to be approximately 11th in the SEC in most categories. When you look at wins and losses Tennessee is 6th. Statistically Tennessee hasn't improved significantly. But they have made great strides in wins and losses. What statistics hid was way more interesting.
Offensive stats didn't show huge improvement to 11th but all defensive stats put us in the 6-8 range which is exactly where our wins are, I think that correlation is much more relevant. I wasn't meaning you as your post was clear that stats matter as do other surrounding factors. That was mainly aimed at the 47-2-5 crowd.

1-4 start...yep, the stats got better as we went along and we had less sacks this year...myself and the QB's are happy for that...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Mark Twain popularized the phrase "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics" which was the title of my collegiate Statistics text. The reason for suspicion of statistics thrown about is generally towards polling numbers, or numbers attributed to opinion. The way a question is asked, and the selection of questions often is intentionally skewing the results to the desired polemic.
That said, observing overarching raw data that is imperial in nature generally presents a good picture of the subject. Proper sampling is not a factor, unless you are looking at only one phase of the data.
I'd be curious to know how many of our young fans even know who Mark Twain was! I just don't see youth today reading any of the classics anymore. :(

I'd be curious to know how many of our young fans even know who Mark Twain was! I just don't see youth today reading any of the classics anymore. :(

I was talking to a few 20 somethings at work about Elvis the other day and they gave me a glazed over look and admitted that they had never heard of him. Wow. Just wow. It doesn’t get any worse than that.

I was talking to a few 20 somethings at work about Elvis the other day and they gave me a glazed over look and admitted that they had never heard of him. Wow. Just wow. It doesn’t get any worse than that.
Kind of like not knowing who Babe Ruth was or that John Wayne is cinema royalty!

Reactions: PhoenixAZVol
My take from these stats is that as a general rule the FBS schools did not perform as well in 2019 as they did in 2018.

Last edited:
Very close to having a top 20 defense....also number 1 in the SEC in limiting explosive plays...shows guys are disciplined and in position the majority of the time

As I noted in the last thread about stats on the year, defensive improvement and much weaker schedule = more wins.

Stats deceive in sports all the time. Dallas has the #1 offensive in the NFL statistically, and a top 10 defense. But they stink in color when it comes to actually winning football games even with the stats.

Pretty much as I thought. The defense showed the most improvement. The offense went from horrible to just bad.

Hey, celebrate 7-5 and a bowl. In my mind this team would have had the same record if it played last years schedule. I thought the offense, considering the weapons and improved Oline, was just plain bad. I still wake up in cold sweats from nightmares of that swing pass.

Reactions: tbh
I'd say the offense still sucks but I've been told the stats in the article are grandpa stats and dont take into account for big time plays, completion % on 1st through 3rd downs, or airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow so cant take their stats seriously

Reactions: tbh
Pretty much as I thought. The defense showed the most improvement. The offense went from horrible to just bad.

Hey, celebrate 7-5 and a bowl. In my mind this team would have had the same record if it played last years schedule. I thought the offense, considering the weapons and improved Oline, was just plain bad. I still wake up in cold sweats from nightmares of that swing pass.

Why are you bad at opinions? Mizzou was 6-4 coming into last year's game with UT this year they were 5-5, hardly Earth shattering. South Carolina was 3-3 heading into last year's game and this year they were 3-4 with a win over Georgia and close loss against UF. Our OOC opponents in 2018 had a combined record of 22-26, this year's OOC opponents had a combined record of 29-19. Auburn was 4-2 heading into last year's game and MSU was 3-2 heading into this year's game but both finished the season 3-5 in the SEC. I guess if you want to claim that UK was better last year than this year you can but we won that game both years so it's irrelevant. Mizzou wasn't significantly better last year when both teams played and neither was SC despite your assertions.

Last edited:

We also won at UK, Mizzou, and Vandy this year, all three of those games were at home last year. The two early season losses were unacceptable but this team has made tremendous strides. If you can't see that, it's on you.

Looking at the stats closely, there is not much difference in the offensive and defensive improvement in yards gained/allowed vs. 2018. Both sides of the ball were horrible early in the season, both looked decent in the last half of the season. The one thing that these stats don't show is the improvement from the first of the season to the end on both sides of the ball. Both the offense and defense played with confidence in the latter half of the season, which was totally absent in the first 5 games. What would the stats have been like had Bama, MSU, SC, Mizzou, UK and even Vandy been as good as they were in '18? Not sure the stats, or the W/L record, would have shown much improvement, but it was easy to see that the entire team was much much better at the end of '19 than they were in '18.

VN Store

Back