Hendon Hooker tweet - he's back!

This is great news if our defense improves alot this next season then we might be a dark horse candidate to win the East. Go Vols!!! Beat Purdue!!!

Terrific, the Vols 2022 season now has a chance to be dynamic and high scoring

JH just needs players, recruit recruit recruit and pull a rabbit or 5 from the portal

Reactions: SDV
dwayne-johnson-the-rock.gif

futurama-good-news-everyone.gif

I keep hearing that we(everyone) have mistakenly believed NFL was a sure thing, when in reality it was always up in the air as to what he does ….depending upon the draft advisory. I keep hearing on radio and recruiting podcasts and sec/TN shows that it’s to be determined.

Would love to hear what they told Hooker. Such a weak class of QBs you’d think someone takes a stab at him earlier than they should this year.
Guess we’ll see, admittedly I’m not as dialed in as I once was. Entirely possible he changed his mind.

This isn’t reflected in recruiting rankings. But this is the biggest get of the year
Yep...let's finish out as strong as we can...MAYBE a 12ish ranked finish I think is possible. Get some portal guys for OL/DL/LB, and maybe RB and we should be ready to rock.

Apologizes if it talks about Payton in the $ section of that article I can’t read

David Ubben quote:

The most important piece of Tennessee's offense is coming back, and might have plenty of firepower coming with him. The Vols will lose Velus Jones but will likely return receiver Cedric Tillman. WR Javonte Payton is still mullng a decision of his own, but the Vols will likely bring back at least four starters on the offensive line and RBs Jabari Small and Jaylen Wright.

David Ubben quote:

The most important piece of Tennessee's offense is coming back, and might have plenty of firepower coming with him. The Vols will lose Velus Jones but will likely return receiver Cedric Tillman. WR Javonte Payton is still mullng a decision of his own, but the Vols will likely bring back at least four starters on the offensive line and RBs Jabari Small and Jaylen Wright.
Not sure Ubben is right. I'd love JaVonta to get another year with us, but just don't see how he can.

From his page on the UT site, here are some direct quotes:

"2021 - Senior (5th Year) - ... started 11 of 12 games"
"2020 - Senior (Mississippi State) - Appeared in nine games with three starts"
"2019 - Junior (Mississippi State) - Appeared in 13 games with two starts"
[2018] - "started nine of 10 games as a sophomore at Northwest Community College"
[2017] - "appeared in all 11 games with 10 starts as a freshman"

Even discounting the "freebie" 2020 season, that's still all his eligibility used up. And nothing that can be counted as redshirt.

Anyone know any way that circle can be squared in favor of another college season for the lad?

Source of quotes: JaVonta Payton - Football - University of Tennessee Athletics

If you were head coach, how much you play him in bowl game?

As opposed to how much you don't play him?

Seriously? He's coming back next year. Every snap in practice, and every snap in the bowl game counts. I play him for all four quarters if that's what it takes. He came back to play, so let him play. Those 15 bowl practices are going to pay dividends for every Vol who gets them. Hooker included.

Up by 21 in the 4th? Let's see what Milton can do. Let Hendon go lead the band at that point. Otherwise, play to win.

Go Vols.

Nice! When you need to score, and you need to score quickly, retain a Hooker. :D In all seriousness though, this news has me super excited

Not sure Ubben is right. I'd love JaVonta to get another year with us, but just don't see how he can.

From his page on the UT site, here are some direct quotes:

"2021 - Senior (5th Year) - ... started 11 of 12 games"
"2020 - Senior (Mississippi State) - Appeared in nine games with three starts"
"2019 - Junior (Mississippi State) - Appeared in 13 games with two starts"
[2018] - "started nine of 10 games as a sophomore at Northwest Community College"
[2017] - "appeared in all 11 games with 10 starts as a freshman"

Even discounting the "freebie" 2020 season, that's still all his eligibility used up. And nothing that can be counted as redshirt.

Anyone know any way that circle can be squared in favor of another college season for the lad?

Source of quotes: JaVonta Payton - Football - University of Tennessee Athletics
Yeah I don't see how he could possibly come back.. Think Ubben made a mistake here.

Reactions: perico

VN Store

Back