Hendon Hooker-Starter?

Hendon absolutely earned the chance to start Saturday, barring a complete F-up in practice this week. Bailey should get a few reps late in the game.

I love the talent Bailey has; he's absolutely the most talented passer we have. However, he wasn't recruited for this style system and I have to believe that the reason he's getting buried in the depth chart is simply because of his lack of mobility as compared to the other Hooker and Milton when the pocket collapses. But as long as he's on this team, that young man needs some real game reps. I'd like to see him play the whole 4th quarter, if not half of the 3rd, just to get him prepped as a 2nd stringer as long as Milton is out.
Nah the reason he is 3rd on the chart is because the OL is still growing and depth is a concern… take away the Qb run and we had 33 yards on 19 carries… Qb run is kinda what we need vs the better teams on our schedule and Bailey doesn’t provide that… I hope Bailey stays tho he will be very good at UT in the next few years… right now is just a little too soon for him.

Hooker went 15/21 for 188 2 TDs and 1 INT.

That's 71% passing. And he definitely has a little more touch on the deep ball.

He did this off the bench as the 2nd string QB with the 2nd String Center and therefore the 2nd string guard (Lane). And with the third string RB.

Add Small, Evans, Cooper Mays back into the mix and I think his time in the pocket and run game both improve with should BOTH improve his play.

He has to be the guy? Right?

i see Bailey getting an opp this weekend as well, at least i feel he should, before the SEC schedule starts. each Qb needs an opportunity

I don't know why people on here keep saying Bailey is not a runner so he does not fit this system. I never saw where CJH said his system requires a running QB, he did say it requires a quick decision and accuracy throwing the deep ball. RPO does not mean the QB has to run he puts the ball out in the RB gut and then either pulls it back and fires a pass if it is open or lets the RB take it and run. Sure the QB can and will run it some but we can be just fine with Bailey with this system and yes when there is lots of open space he will run and if he has lots of green grass will get the first down and that is all we need. Bottom line the QB has to be a good enough passer, it's nice when they can make plays with their legs but have to be a good enough passer. Just my 2 cent rant.

He came out looking like he had never played a snap of football in his life.

But he finally settled in and seemed to do well enough to earn the start in my opinion.

Looked better than Milton.

Reactions: So.ProVOL
He came out looking like he had never played a snap of football in his life.

But he finally settled in and seemed to do well enough to earn the start in my opinion.

Looked better than Milton.

Yeah, I am not sure how I feel about that. Heupel just said in his presser that Hooker gets as many reps as the starter because he is sitting 2nd.

There's really no excuse for Bailey not getting his shot. If Milton had lived up to the hype, or even had been in the same zip code as the hype, that would have been one thing...but he was horrific. Hooker, though better, lost the game with an interception that wasn't a slightly bad throw, it was laughably bad; you could see as soon as he threw it that it was going to get picked. And before that he had another turnover with the fumble. So he has already had as many turnovers in one game against non-SEC competition, as a senior, as Bailey had last year in five games against SEC competition as a true freshman.
Bailey had three fumbles last year in addition to his two picks, consistently held the ball too long and got sacked way too often. Seems you only notice when Hooker fumbles the balls.

I think that Hendon will start, but Milton does a good job running the fast paced offense so I understand why the staff opted to start him. But they both can run and HH is passing much better at this point.
Give Hooker the 1st team reps for a week and he'll run the game plan better. Typically the starter gets 70% of the starter's reps. Considering where Milton is he's probably been getting 80% or more with them trusting that Hooker's experience would carry him if he had to come in.

Henson Hooker or bust the rest of this year, he threw the ball well.
Milton obviously can throw the ball a mile but that’s about it, absolutely no touch.
Bailey well let’s just say he was good in high school.

Reactions: 08Vol
There's really no excuse for Bailey not getting his shot.
You mean other than not earning it and not offering anything in the run game, right? Not sure why you guys feel compelled to use any mistake or bad play by one of the others to declare Bailey the messiah... but he apparently isn't. I admit I'm curious to see if he could play better. But he's got to earn it. And right now, lack of mobility wouldn't help him or the Vols.

If Milton had lived up to the hype, or even had been in the same zip code as the hype, that would have been one thing...but he was horrific. Hooker, though better, lost the game with an interception that wasn't a slightly bad throw, it was laughably bad; you could see as soon as he threw it that it was going to get picked. And before that he had another turnover with the fumble. So he has already had as many turnovers in one game against non-SEC competition, as a senior, as Bailey had last year in five games against SEC competition as a true freshman.
You are looking for reasons. Hooker came in relief having had no better than 30% of the practice reps. No. It wasn't "laughably" bad. He threw deep middle and didn't account for the safety. Happens every week to very good starting QB's.

His biggest mistake if he had the option was not pulling the ball and running it in on that 4th and goal play. But again... not as bad as you portray for a guy coming in with light practice reps and a gameplan designed for someone else.

Does it not even occur to you when you start ripping other Vols that you've ceased to be a Vol fan and started being the fan of a particular player?

Henson Hooker or bust the rest of this year, he threw the ball well.
Milton obviously can throw the ball a mile but that’s about it, absolutely no touch.
Bailey well let’s just say he was good in high school.
I don't think that's fair. He hasn't earned his way yet but he may become a very good QB. His decision making last year even as a green freshman was pretty good. It just has to come quicker but there's every reason to believe it would right now.

I understand why they were enamored with Milton's arm and physical ability. But if he can't get it done then it is time to start someone else and maybe design a limited "package" for him in each game as a change up and to get his head right.

Yes, it's been reported that Hooker limits the plays they can run.
I rather have a limited playbook, move the ball and score than a wide open one but can't take advantage of it. They can always add more plays to Hookers play as the season progresses.

After the reaction Milton had Saturday when he over threw that guy over the middle on the QB Draw play, he may now be in his own heard and over think it his throws instead of being natural with it

You mean other than not earning it and not offering anything in the run game, right? Not sure why you guys feel compelled to use any mistake or bad play by one of the others to declare Bailey the messiah... but he apparently isn't. I admit I'm curious to see if he could play better. But he's got to earn it. And right now, lack of mobility wouldn't help him or the Vols.

You are looking for reasons. Hooker came in relief having had no better than 30% of the practice reps. No. It wasn't "laughably" bad. He threw deep middle and didn't account for the safety. Happens every week to very good starting QB's.

His biggest mistake if he had the option was not pulling the ball and running it in on that 4th and goal play. But again... not as bad as you portray for a guy coming in with light practice reps and a gameplan designed for someone else.

Does it not even occur to you when you start ripping other Vols that you've ceased to be a Vol fan and started being the fan of a particular player?

I saw it coming but I had the benefit of seeing it on tv from a better view. On the field with bodies and someone looking to crush your soul things happen.
It was a good play by the D, Hooker had looked off to the left and then came back right, so he didn't stare the WR down

Hooker has some issues but I thought he looked tons better than Milton. I think his play Saturday earned him a shot to start Sat. IMO

I saw it coming but I had the benefit of seeing it on tv from a better view. On the field with bodies and someone looking to crush your soul things happen.
It was a good play by the D, Hooker had looked off to the left and then came back right, so he didn't stare the WR down

Hooker has some issues but I thought he looked tons better than Milton. I think his play Saturday earned him a shot to start Sat. IMO
Definetly earned the right to take most of snaps in practice and become starter.

What does that make you when you rip another Vol fan? I'm a Vol fan so by you "ripping" me above, by your logic, you ceased to be a fan.

Fortunately, I don't live in a world where you get to make up the rules of reality. In my world, being a fan does not mean blindly accepting bad coaching, or standing by silently as people claiming to be fans, trot out nonsense and belittle others in defense of said bad coaching.

Aside from his long run Milton has looked scared to run. Turns his side or even back to defenders before the hit. Hooker bounced off people in a very dobbsish way. Also Hooker interception was a very good play by the safety. It happens. Wasn’t like he wasn’t close on the throw. If that safety hadn’t broke on the ball that was a spot on throw in stride for big yards. Hooker >>>>>Milton. Play the man.

What does that make you when you rip another Vol fan? I'm a Vol fan so by you "ripping" me above, by your logic, you ceased to be a fan.

Fortunately, I don't live in a world where you get to make up the rules of reality. In my world, being a fan does not mean blindly accepting bad coaching, or standing by silently as people claiming to be fans, trot out nonsense and belittle others in defense of said bad coaching.
No. That isn't the same by his logic. A Vol fan is a fan of the team. Nowhere in there does it make you a fan of ****y, supposed fans.

Show your work on your "by your logic" logic.

Yes, it's been reported that Hooker limits the plays they can run.

Who reported that? Would love to see that.

In the presser today Heupel seemed to me to be slightly leaning away from Milton and toward Hooker.

Why?

1) He was complimentary of how Hooker played after the first series, citing that he hasn't been getting the same amount of reps as the starter.
2) He was DIRECTLY asked if Milton was 100% healthy this week if he would start on Saturday. If Milton is the guy you should immediately answer that question "Yes he is." Heupel did not answer that way. And would not commit to Milton being the starter.

VN Store

Back