Helton Poll - Good Job or Bad Job?

Do you approve of Helton’s job as OC so far?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
The question is do you approve of Helton's job but people want focus on the tools he had. "if he had better players", "if he a better line", etc... that's not the question. You dont say "well, Picasso would be a better if he had better paint" or "Muddy Watters would be better if he had a better guitar". Its what they did with the resources they had available. Helton's job is to exploit the strengths he has and minimize the weaknesses of the team. IMO, he's done a C job. Maybe C+. There are games where he looked like a genius and other games where he looked like a middle school coach calling his first game as an OC. The repeated run up the middle for <1 yard on first down over and over expecting a different result was mind boggling. The lack of attempts to the TEs,, whether they're good or bad, is confusing. The use of Calloway to stretch the field were fantastic. He's just not able to see the other Ds weaknesses and exploit them. I hope better talent helps but with the ebbs and flows of this year, I'm not impressed.

Muddy Waters played a Telecaster, Helton is playing with a Wal-Mart special missing a couple of strings.

There seems to be some debate on Helton’s performance this season as OC. Some say he’s done great, some days he’s done poorly.

I just wanted to get a better feel for how the fan base feels.
I gave him a yes because its impossible to see what he is capable of with this team.

Reactions: feathersax
I think it took him about our first 3 or 4 games before he knew who and what were reliable on the offense. As an example early on lots of TE targeting in the passing game. That has been limited as the TEs as a group are not reliable as blockers or receivers. He found out who his playmakers were and has done better since IMO. He can't make the OL better than what it is. Area of improvement I can see moving forward is coaching JG the option of just throwing the ball away early if the play is not there. The youngster does not throw the ball away enough IMO.

You're cherry picking. The opposite was true in the Georgia game and I'd bet that the opposite was also true in the Kentucky game, but I haven't charted that one.

Against Missouri, we ran 11 first down plays in the first half - 6 runs and 5 passes. Of those runs, one was a touchdown on a toss sweep, one was a quarterback draw inside the 10-yard-line for again of 6, and one was a 33-yard gainer by Chandler. Long story short, Helton is a lot less predictable that people like you insinuate.

I don't know why so many people think we run inside a lot on first down, maybe it's the article you referenced, but if you pay attention to the rest of the games you'll see that it's not true. In reality, we're very balanced.
Ok.... does Helton find ways to get Chandler the ball in space? Does he find ways to get Jennings the ball?

The question is do you approve of Helton's job but people want focus on the tools he had. "if he had better players", "if he a better line", etc... that's not the question. You dont say "well, Picasso would be a better if he had better paint" or "Muddy Watters would be better if he had a better guitar". Its what they did with the resources they had available. Helton's job is to exploit the strengths he has and minimize the weaknesses of the team. IMO, he's done a C job. Maybe C+. There are games where he looked like a genius and other games where he looked like a middle school coach calling his first game as an OC. The repeated run up the middle for <1 yard on first down over and over expecting a different result was mind boggling. The lack of attempts to the TEs,, whether they're good or bad, is confusing. The use of Calloway to stretch the field were fantastic. He's just not able to see the other Ds weaknesses and exploit them. I hope better talent helps but with the ebbs and flows of this year, I'm not impressed.
This is a very fair appraisal

Reactions: LocoVol
With the exception of Fair(who's new),all the coaches exceeded at their previous jobs. Why is it any different here... Talent maybe? Depth maybe?
Your guess is as good as mine. Younger folks nowadays are a mystery to me as what motivates them. As far as the position coaches, Friend on the o line...is it his coaching? Or is it the players not motivated? Or are the motivated they're doing the best they can. I said in another thread I'd find it very interesting to hear from players why they think we lose games.

He looks better in games where the talent is more even and the line isn’t getting blown up...as much.

He looks worse against superior talent because his line gets destroyed.

Helton is very predictable. I mean our guys can’t even line up correctly. I know,I know our Oline sucks but that doesn’t mean we can’t figure out away to get the ball out of JG’s hand quick. I’m tired of seeing “max” protection only to get a sack because backs don’t know where to help. He’ll get one more year but I hope he does better next year.

I wouldn't grade him particularly well, but I would give him another year under the stipulation that we find a much improved offensive line coach. Our offensive line doesn't have an ounce of mean streak in them. We need some attitude from that O-Line.

I keep reading the same theme by some of you. “Helton doesn’t have the talent.” I counter that argument. The great coaches get the best out of the players we have. If our Oline sucks so bad, move the pocket. If JG is having a hard time reading the field, cut it in half. Counter plays to make the linebackers stay honest and prevent the over pursuit.

I hate the man, but Kiffin did wonders with the team he had. His work with Crompton was genius.

I’m not suggesting that UT should have won 9-10 games this season. I am suggesting that our offensive output shouldn’t have been as poor

That sounds simple, but when you move the pocket you still have to block for the new pocket. Good defensive coaches (this conference is full of em) are not gonna keep sending their DL and LBs straight up the field when you continually roll your QB out. What your suggesting works as a wrinkle if your weak on one side. UTs OL is inconsistent across the board. Until that gets fixed with a combination of better developed more talent players it's not gonna matter what you throw at it. A good percentage wont work. And that's assuming putting your QB in motion even fits him.

That sounds simple, but when you move the pocket you still have to block for the new pocket. Good defensive coaches (this conference is full of em) are not gonna keep sending their DL and LBs straight up the field when you continually roll your QB out. What your suggesting works as a wrinkle if your weak on one side. UTs OL is inconsistent across the board. Until that gets fixed with a combination of better developed more talent players it's not gonna matter what you throw at it. A good percentage wont work. And that's assuming putting your QB in motion even fits him.

Well, you wouldn’t roll the QB every time. Just like you don’t run a counter play every time.

I voted yes. Until Tuesday Auburn game I just wasn't sure if we was that good, we had a great game in Auburn and he has had a few good ones since then. He's only going to get better IMO. He can only do what the OL allows him to do. His hands are tied until he has an OL that can block on a consistent basis.

Saw this on the Rocky Top site don't necessarily agree with what is said but do agree nothing was getting done with player development with Jones. I think were starting to see some development now but it takes more than one year. You think that next year would be when you see the most improvement by Guarantano even though I see a vast improvement now over where he was with Jones in two seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be some debate on Helton’s performance this season as OC. Some say he’s done great, some days he’s done poorly.

I just wanted to get a better feel for how the fan base feels.

Ask me after the bowl game.

Go Vols!!!

My fear is if pruitt waits to see if he gets better and he doesnt then a change may end up have to be made right when jg, and other young players are reaching that maturity level where things should makea huge leap.

I dont see pruitt failing on def, I dont see s&c being an issue under him and special teams look to be solid. Not hiring a proven offensive staff looks like the only thing that may cause him to not be successful.

Not going to keep explaining to you. It’s simple, become predictable, get used to 2 and long.

Go VOLS
Theres nothing to explain. Theres no magic dust for an OL that cant run or pass block. You can work around 1 of those missing. But not both.

I would say that Helton and Friend have been disappointing to this point. An offensive line that looks lost or can never pick up a blitz to me is as much a coaching issue as a player issue. If a lineman is getting physically whipped by the defensive lineman then it's player issue but this line lets more people run thru freely than anything I have seen. Sometimes it is a RB missing a blocking assignment. Sometimes it's the QB not reading the defense and adjusting. I have to look towards coaching across the offensive staff on that end. It just looks like they don't know how to play their positions at times. Play calling and schemes has been poor for the most part. Example, when was the last time Chandler was targeted out of the backfield on a pass play after we saw great success with this earlier in the year.

There's been good and bad but it's year one. He should be back next year for sure.

I think Helton and Pruitt got off to a bad start right from the earliest days. Some apeculate that Pruitt was not enthusiastic about Chryst, but Helton talked him into it. I'm not sure if Helton will be here in 2019 simply because he and Pruitt may not see eye to eye. I think it will also be difficult for Friend to be here long term. Pure speculation on my part.

VN Store

Back