Helton Poll - Good Job or Bad Job?

Do you approve of Helton’s job as OC so far?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
The jury is still out for me. Until we get some solid depth on the o-line I won't judge. I do believe that these kids need s&c and stability in coaching though. I like Pruitt. Never liked Butch & co, and Debords play calling was terrible. I can tell you that I don't think Helton is anywhere near as bad as him.

Voting is interesting considering that Pruitt himself has not been real pleased with the job Helton has been doing. Even made him get out of the press box (much easier for Pruitt to chew on him - just kidding). It was said here previously that Helton's play calling has been pretty bad with the exception of two games. Two other games were just atrocious. So he has been pretty average. Recruits aren't going to flock to his side given his performance throughout this year - I am glad that Pruitt is a really good recruiter.

Reactions: LocoVol
He is overachieving considering the offense that he inherited. We have won some big games, and those that we have lost are primarily due to size/talent deficiencies between our O-line and opposing D-lines.

I keep reading the same theme by some of you. “Helton doesn’t have the talent.” I counter that argument. The great coaches get the best out of the players we have. If our Oline sucks so bad, move the pocket. If JG is having a hard time reading the field, cut it in half. Counter plays to make the linebackers stay honest and prevent the over pursuit.

I hate the man, but Kiffin did wonders with the team he had. His work with Crompton was genius.

I’m not suggesting that UT should have won 9-10 games this season. I am suggesting that our offensive output shouldn’t have been as poor

I keep reading the same theme by some of you. “Helton doesn’t have the talent.” I counter that argument. The great coaches get the best out of the players we have. If our Oline sucks so bad, move the pocket. If JG is having a hard time reading the field, cut it in half. Counter plays to make the linebackers stay honest and prevent the over pursuit.

I hate the man, but Kiffin did wonders with the team he had. His work with Crompton was genius.

I’m not suggesting that UT should have won 9-10 games this season. I am suggesting that our offensive output shouldn’t have been as poor

They can’t even block the guys in front of them and you want them to roll the pocket? Good lord.....

I dont care about finding out what VN thinks of Helton. What I would REALLY like to know is what Pruit and Fulmer think of Helton's job this year so far. Not that they are going to tell us but that is what actually matters. They also have the expertise and insider info to know if Helton did a good job under the circumstances and is building a platform for growth or needs to be replaced.

Reactions: MAUSERWERKE
This offense can put points on the board,but our OL doesn't allow that on a consistent basis, and JG can't sustain many more hits like he has this season.We are going to get some OL guys in here that can help in this area!

I'm glad the poll turned out like the way it has. Given the Offensive line he has had to work with and a QB who is getting drilled about every other play he has done a good job.

I would like to see what he can do when he has the talent and a solid SEC OL in another year or two.

Given the facts of what he has/had at his disposal Id say pretty good.

Everybody talks about the OL for good reason.

Going in you were hoping to get Smith and Hall healthy and Kennedy could fill a hole. Smith and Hall never looked right and Kennedy wasn't around long enough to tell. The OL was a question mark before all that was known. After that the question was answered. Our OL was just flat out terrible. The OL consists of almost 50% of the players you field for an offensive unit and it only takes 1 guy not getting it done on a play for catastrophe to strike. Until that unit has better players and depth its hard to call things that don't have a silly looking result. It may be a good play call that doesn't have a chance.

Last edited:
All of the games that he's done well in, weve seen the line looked really good. In the kentucky, south carolina, and auburn games, i heard the announcers talking about and seen that our line was pushing back the defense and we were able to run and pass pretty well. The other games are the ones where he looks like he is calling a poor game. Could he maybe adapt some in the games that we cant move the ball? Im sure in some cases, but i think the correlation between heltons good games and the success of the offensive line cannot be ignored here.

I'm sure this has already been said, but with this O-line, who knows what kind of coordinator he is?? It has to be a nightmare trying to call plays with that line.

He is not doing a good job for people who are unrealistic in what they expect to see for an 0-8 team. Me thinks he will work out fine.

He’s done great with the crap show he has for an Oline

Yeah, I don’t know how you can evaluate any OC with a line this bad, especially in the SEC. If you don’t win up front in this league, you aren’t going to be successful no matter what play is called.

That’s a lie
Lol..... you don't have to get all pissy. Is he your boyfriend or something?

I'd call it an exaggeration....BUT... against Auburn ....on 20 first down plays:
Tennessee’s offense had a frustrating predictability when it came to first downs. The Volunteers insisted on inside runs that were by and large very unsuccessful. David Ubben at The Athletic tallied the yardage totals, and it turns out that Tennessee gained less than three yards on 14 of their 20 first down run attempts.

Reactions: LocoVol
Helton is fine. Seems like a lot of people want him gone and actually were excited about the possibility of him leaving to go to USC. Personally, I don’t understand it. Let’s see how things are when he has a good o line because you can’t judge him fairly based on this season. He really hasn’t done bad at all.

Easier to move the pocket. Harder to sack to QB. Basic football.

Yeah basic football if your line can sort of block. You can move the pocket all you want but if your lineman is getting beat off the start of the ball you are screwed either way. Also guess what.... our lineman get beat almost immediately. So easier said then done.

Edit: It also shortens the field for the QB. Which is good and bad.

Lol..... you don't have to get all pissy. Is he your boyfriend or something?

I'd call it an exaggeration....BUT... against Auburn ....on 20 first down plays:
Tennessee’s offense had a frustrating predictability when it came to first downs. The Volunteers insisted on inside runs that were by and large very unsuccessful. David Ubben at The Athletic tallied the yardage totals, and it turns out that Tennessee gained less than three yards on 14 of their 20 first down run attempts.
You're cherry picking. The opposite was true in the Georgia game and I'd bet that the opposite was also true in the Kentucky game, but I haven't charted that one.

Against Missouri, we ran 11 first down plays in the first half - 6 runs and 5 passes. Of those runs, one was a touchdown on a toss sweep, one was a quarterback draw inside the 10-yard-line for again of 6, and one was a 33-yard gainer by Chandler. Long story short, Helton is a lot less predictable that people like you insinuate.

I don't know why so many people think we run inside a lot on first down, maybe it's the article you referenced, but if you pay attention to the rest of the games you'll see that it's not true. In reality, we're very balanced.

The question is do you approve of Helton's job but people want focus on the tools he had. "if he had better players", "if he a better line", etc... that's not the question. You dont say "well, Picasso would be a better if he had better paint" or "Muddy Watters would be better if he had a better guitar". Its what they did with the resources they had available. Helton's job is to exploit the strengths he has and minimize the weaknesses of the team. IMO, he's done a C job. Maybe C+. There are games where he looked like a genius and other games where he looked like a middle school coach calling his first game as an OC. The repeated run up the middle for <1 yard on first down over and over expecting a different result was mind boggling. The lack of attempts to the TEs,, whether they're good or bad, is confusing. The use of Calloway to stretch the field were fantastic. He's just not able to see the other Ds weaknesses and exploit them. I hope better talent helps but with the ebbs and flows of this year, I'm not impressed.

From what everyone is saying, a long hard look at all the position coaches is in order. It’s not enough just to teach the fundamentals at the position, as a leader you have to have to win them to desire to improve. I think that may be the disconnect. They as players don’t respect their position coaches, they don’t like em, and illustrate that in their performance. That’s part of it, and part of it may be some of the position coaches may suck at the job. Also it’s teaching, just because you master an area...does not automatically follow you can teach it.

With the exception of Fair(who's new),all the coaches exceeded at their previous jobs. Why is it any different here... Talent maybe? Depth maybe?

Yeah basic football if your line can sort of block. You can move the pocket all you want but if your lineman is getting beat off the start of the ball you are screwed either way. Also guess what.... our lineman get beat almost immediately. So easier said then done.

Edit: It also shortens the field for the QB. Which is good and bad.
Of course it shortens the field. Simplifies the QB options. Secondly, if you have an Oline that can’t block and create a pocket, you move the pocket so there isn’t a single spot to attack as a DE or linebacker.

VN Store

Back