Helton Poll - Good Job or Bad Job?

Do you approve of Helton’s job as OC so far?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mulligan for all the first-timers (OC/TE/RB) coaching their positions and not having a lot of players yet. But last chance. I totally expect massive improvement next year.
What kind of massive improvements are you expecting after we get a few new freshmen at each position group? Is that all we’re missing? I think it’s going to take more than one good recruiting class.

Yea of course it is but those freshman will improve the level of play and obviously talent.

What kind of massive improvements are you expecting after we get a few new freshmen at each position group? Is that all we’re missing? I think it’s going to take more than one good recruiting class.
Not just Freshmen, but some JUCOs, and some of the folks on the roster continuing to improve. And some folks figuring out they belong at an FCS school. Coaching them up is something that happens again on Rocky Top.

Throw more on first down. Find more ways to get chandler the ball. Jennings needs more touches. No roll outs? 80 stinks blocking find a FB. Just a few...

well, he's done a descent job...it is difficult when you're play calling has to make up for a multitude of weaknesses in the offense, (especially the O-line) but that's what separates the great from the so-so...so far he's been so-so...:D

GO VOLS...BEAT VANDY!

There seems to be some debate on Helton’s performance this season as OC. Some say he’s done great, some days he’s done poorly.

I just wanted to get a better feel for how the fan base feels.
Too early to tell. Did some very good things and probably a few questionable calls. He’s hamstrung for sure by OL. Surprised by the “he’s great, then he stinks” banter, but I’d give an above average grade so far.

well, he's done a descent job...it is difficult when you're play calling has to make up for a multitude of weaknesses in the offense, (especially the O-line) but that's what separates the great from the so-so...so far he's been so-so...:D

GO VOLS...BEAT VANDY!
I'm hoping the foundation of our problems is conditioning. I hope that Fitzgerald can be effective (along with the nutrtionist) to build some studs for the lines next season. Is that hoping for too much?

From what everyone is saying, a long hard look at all the position coaches is in order. It’s not enough just to teach the fundamentals at the position, as a leader you have to have to win them to desire to improve. I think that may be the disconnect. They as players don’t respect their position coaches, they don’t like em, and illustrate that in their performance. That’s part of it, and part of it may be some of the position coaches may suck at the job. Also it’s teaching, just because you master an area...does not automatically follow you can teach it.

Gonna have to wait until he has a o-line until we can completely judge him. We're much better than last year, personally I definitely support Pruitt based off what he can control

Reactions: CTVolsfan14
As my old HS football coach said "You can have all the X's and the O's.. at some point you need the Jimmy's and the Joe's!"

My official vote is incomplete. Tough to call plays when you can't block anybody up front. Josh McDaniels, widely regarded as one of thetop OC and play callers in the NFL has the Patriots looking enemic when they can't block upfront.. I genuinely don't understand the Helton hate. He's had some head scratch play calls here and there but not going to blame the guy just yet..

Reactions: utallthetime
I think he’s done okay considering that overall lack of depth and talent on the line. With a good SEC quality line I think we’d be 7-4 now. Maybe 8-3. The receivers and RBs can play with anyone. JG would be a lot better too. We don’t have anyone on the starting line that would be in the two deep at any SEC school now. Trey would be but he doesn’t count now.

Voting is interesting considering that Pruitt himself has not been real pleased with the job Helton has been doing. Even made him get out of the press box (much easier for Pruitt to chew on him - just kidding). It was here previously that Helton's play calling has been pretty bad with the exception of two games. Two other games were just atrocious. So he has been pretty average. Recruits aren't going to flock to his side given his performance throughout this year - I am glad that Pruitt is a really good recruiter.

We don’t really know what he can do because of the horrendous offensive line.
I agree. It's not fair to judge a 1st year coaching staff considering what they have to work with and the amount of time required to really expect a good return. I feel around the 7th game of 2019 season we could make a fair assessment of where we stand.

O-line doesn't excuse 119th ranked Offense. His unwillingness to get Ty Chandler involved in the passing game is criminal.

VN Store

Back