Heisman presentation. Stick it where the sun don't shine

The Heisman is the most worthless award in all of sports. I'm sure they exhaust every measure to find the most talented player out of 30,000+ college football players across the divisions, and it always turns out to be one of 3 positions on a ranked team.

There's a chance they've NEVER gotten it right.

I wouldn't think too much of it.

20 years later and I haven't forgotten the obvious politically correct shun of a vol legend. The ridiculous campaign to give Woodson the trophy over Manning FOREVER delegitimizes this so called award . I refuse to watch to this day. Anyone more tolerant and forgiving than me?

I feel the same way, I know that I should just get over it but I dont think I ever will. After what they did to Manning the award means nothing anymore. But not to be a total spoiled sport good luck to Mayfield. GBO

No, not This!

In 1997, Terry Fair had 5 interceptions to Woodson’s 7....averaged 14.3 yards per punt return to Woodson’s 8.6 for a 1-loss team (lost a second game after the Heisman presentation) that won the SEC championship. He never got a sniff.

If you weren’t around to witness what happened, you won’t understand how it was. Woodson was an outstanding player who was nowhere on the radar until the national media started their campaign to have him win it. And despite a great season by Peyton, they kept pushing and pushing Woodson, not matter what he did.

The day they said Woodson wrapped it up because he scored and offensive touchdown vs Ohio State, Peyton threw for 523 yards and 4 touchdowns but lost ground because of the hype they gave Woodson. It was unreal, it was unprecedented and still is. I remember the media giving the narrative “this isn’t a career award, it’s for a single season”....yet Manning was having a record-setting, great single-season with his 3,800+ yards and 36 tds for a top 5, SEC championship team.

Over the years, prior to 1997 and since 1997, there have been great defensive players who could’ve and should’ve gotten mention and serious consideration for the award, should’ve probably won the award, yet none have....only Woodson, when the media decided it wasn’t gonna be Manning. You can believe it or not, but that’s the truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Some Vols need to get over the Peyton thing. A great player yes, but if I remember correctly he didn't beat Fla or win a NC. No wonder Tee Martin stays in So. Cal.

Reactions: 4 people
20 years later and I haven't forgotten the obvious politically correct shun of a vol legend. The ridiculous campaign to give Woodson the trophy over Manning FOREVER delegitimizes this so called award . I refuse to watch to this day. Anyone more tolerant and forgiving than me?

Heisman Trophy, what is that?

Also, I started not to open your thread, because I do not know who won it. And don't care to know.

I, as well, lost respect for the award that year. And since that time, a bunch of thugs have been nominated.

let us not forget that the f***g azzhat Keith Jackson also contributed to PM's denial of the trophy

I hate that fat overrated POS

Some Vols need to get over the Peyton thing. A great player yes, but if I remember correctly he didn't beat Fla or win a NC. No wonder Tee Martin stays in So. Cal.

Most Heisman winners have crappy NFL careers... Signed Ron Dayne

Majors did not deserve the award that year. That would be Jim Brown.

Peyton did not beat Florida. That’s what ultimately killed his chances. Whether that’s fair or not (it isn’t) that had more of an effect than anything.

Say what? And you are really trying to argue why Peyton didn't deserve it?! :eek:lol:

Let's see, Last years winner was? Darn it was that QB from that National Championship team, right?

Oh no, it was Lamar Jackson from that team that wasn't even Conference Champion!!

Wishbone wake up

Tee Martin is in LA because of his wife. So before he leaves LA he will have to break free from the Demons that are controlling his wife.

I think I remember that the west coast press was tired of the Heisman going to SEC players and they voted as a block to give the Heisman to Woodson. It was not a vote for Woodson as much as it was a vote against the SEC.

Nothing makes Tennessee fans look dumber than complaining about how Peyton got screwed over 20 years ago.

Both were great candidates and Woodson's team was undefeated. Hence he won.

So your team has to be unbeaten to win the Heisman? Really?

1956 Heisman Trophy results
1. Paul Hornung, Notre Dame (1,066)
2. John Majors, Tennessee (994)
3. Tom McDonald, Oklahoma (973)
4. Gerry Tubbs, Oklahoma (724)
5. Jimmy Brown, Syracuse (561)
6. Ron Kramer, Michigan (518)
7. John Brodie, Stanford (281)
8. Jim Parker, Ohio State (248)
9. Kenny Ploen, Iowa (150)
10. Jon Arnett, USC (128)

1956 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Stats | College Football at Sports ...

Record‎: ‎2-8 (102nd of 111) (‎Schedule & Results‎) Points Against‎: ‎289
Coach‎: ‎Terry Brennan‎ (2-8) Points For‎: ‎130

1956 Tennessee Volunteers football team - Wikipedia
1956 Tennessee Volunteers football team - Wikipedia

1956 record‎: ‎10–1 (6–0 SEC) Head coach‎: ‎Bowden Wyatt‎ (2nd season)
Coaches‎: ‎No. 2

Gee How did Paul Hornug win over Johnny Majors. Seems UT was screwed before Peyton.

Reactions: 1 person
Let's see, Last years winner was? Darn it was that QB from that National Championship team, right?

Oh no, it was Lamar Jackson from that team that wasn't even Conference Champion!!

Wishbone wake up
PS: I believe Kentucky beat the brakes off that team with the Heisman Trophy winner.

VN Store

Back