Heisman presentation. Stick it where the sun don't shine

In 1997 it forever became known as the heisTman to me. I no longer care who wins that "coveted" award (otherwise known as the QB award).

Reactions: 4 people
20 years later and I haven't forgotten the obvious politically correct shun of a vol legend. The ridiculous campaign to give Woodson the trophy over Manning FOREVER delegitimizes this so called award . I refuse to watch to this day. Anyone more tolerant and forgiving than me?

I feel like "politically correct" is an odd choice of words here...care to elaborate?

Reactions: 3 people
Wrong answer. Peyton was as dominating in college as he was in the pros. Nothing Woodson did brought anywhere near that kind of value.

I won't watch it.

Charles Woodson was a multiple All-Pro DB, won defensive player of the year, and will be a first ballot NFL Hall of Famer.

In my 9.5 years of being on this board, that is a top 10 all time dumb statement.

Nothing makes Tennessee fans look dumber than complaining about how Peyton got screwed over 20 years ago.

Both were great candidates and Woodson's team was undefeated. Hence he won.

I've been crucified for saying the same thing...Woodson was an amazing player. His team had all the momentum that season at the end. Sometimes the best player doesn't always win the award.

Reactions: 1 person
DUmb is thinking that a DB can bring as much value to a team as a QB.

Where does Heisman say valuable? I agree. But it goes out to the most oustanding player. And Charles Woodson was pretty damn outstanding.

You trying to diminish Woodson as a player is a really silly argument when he's a HOF player.

Reactions: 2 people
I've been crucified for saying the same thing...Woodson was an amazing player. His team had all the momentum that season at the end. Sometimes the best player doesn't always win the award.

Personally I think a lot of it is because Tennessee has never had a Heisman award. "Well you never gave us an award but we don't care about it anyways!" People say they do not care but once UT gets another finalist you will see people go gaga over it. It is crazy Tennessee has never had a Heisman winner.

The presenter of the award, the Downtown Athletic Club went bankrupt in the heart of Wall Street...the ceremony has been a vagabond affair ever since...

Reactions: 2 people
The simple truth was that no SEC quarterback was going to capture the award two years in a row. ie. Werffel succeeded by Manning. The Heisman has never been about football;it's a marketing award.

I have no doubt that Woodson was worthy. The thing that is most questionable is that hardly any defensive player has ever won the award. One of the only times we had someone up for the award there just happened to be an exception to the so -called unspoken rule.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that Woodson was worthy. The thing that is most questionable is that hardly any defensive player has ever won the award. One of the only times we had someone up for the award there just happened to be an exception to the so -called unspoken rule.

For example Ndomukung Suh got screwed in 2009. Clearly the best player in college football.

I think that's probably a lot of it. Woodson was sort of the exotic choice that nobody could quantify. Some years he would've made sense.... but not in a year where a QB has a year like that.

I thought it was funny when Mike Wilbon said the difference between Baker Mayfield and Johnny Manziel was that Manziel was likeable. Freaking hilarious.

And to the OP question: I couldn't care less about the hypeman

Your last statement is my sentiments exactly, was just texting with fellow Vol's who feel the same way.

Nothing makes Tennessee fans look dumber than complaining about how Peyton got screwed over 20 years ago.

Both were great candidates and Woodson's team was undefeated. Hence he won.

Post is shows inaccuracies, mayfields team is not undefeated.

Manning got screwed. Johnny Majors got ROYALLY screwed! Hornung won with worse statistics and was on a 2 - 8 team! The 5th place that year was also screwed. It was a young fellow named Jim Brown. Majors or Brown should have won but the Notre Dame connection was too much to overcome.

This long history of bs, just shows it is a sham.

VN Store

Back