Heat Pump Woes

VolStrom

He/Him/Gator Hater
I bought my house new and now it's closing in on 12 years old along with all of the accompanying systems. I've had my share of problems out of the cheap POS heat pump the builder installed and had planned on replacing it this April in the slow season.
Today I've been inside all day since it's been cold as crap and I kept getting warmer and warmer. I took the dog for his daily walk and when I came back inside I nearly caught on fire it felt so hot in the house. I looked at the thermostat and it's 78 degrees. I do the usual things and nothing shuts it off except for turning off the circuit breaker so obviously something control wise is broken.
Tomorrow I waste more dollars fixing the POS and ASAP the damn thing gets replaced.

If you have the coin, I would replace everything now and not waste any more money. Also, check with your electric company as some rebates should be available on a newer unit since it will be more efficient. What size is your current heat pump?

I bought my house new and now it's closing in on 12 years old along with all of the accompanying systems. I've had my share of problems out of the cheap POS heat pump the builder installed and had planned on replacing it this April in the slow season.
Today I've been inside all day since it's been cold as crap and I kept getting warmer and warmer. I took the dog for his daily walk and when I came back inside I nearly caught on fire it felt so hot in the house. I looked at the thermostat and it's 78 degrees. I do the usual things and nothing shuts it off except for turning off the circuit breaker so obviously something control wise is broken.
Tomorrow I waste more dollars fixing the POS and ASAP the damn thing gets replaced.
Get a reputable company to look at it.
Not someone who advertises on tv.
Where are you?

Reactions: Zues1
Sounds like a thermostat issue. If you're in the Knoxville area and need a good service guy let me know. I have a guy that takes good care of me.

Reactions: 508mikey
It sounds like a thermostat problem as was mentioned before, you can pick up a programmable one from HD or Lowe's for less than $150. I had my whole system redone a few years ago and used KUB/TVA financing, it was 6% interest. But if it's just a thermostat, i would rather spend $150 than spending 7k to 10k.

Reactions: Zues1
Thermostat is an easy thing to swap out and it's not expensive. Try that route before calling a service tech. If you can put a new end on an extension cord and can read and can distinguish different colors, you can change a thermostat. Usually all you need is a phillips screwdriver.

If it is a thermostat problem, I would go with a nest or another wi-fi enabled thermostat so you can program, monitor, change the programming form your smart phone at home or away. If you get a new unit you can save this one for the new unit.

If it is a thermostat problem, I would go with a nest or another wi-fi enabled thermostat so you can program, monitor, change the programming form your smart phone at home or away. If you get a new unit you can save this one for the new unit.
If you do, please secure the darn thing.

I have an hvac unit in the attic that is probably from the 60s. Works great.
My gas water heater is over 30 years old, was actually made by a company here in Chattanooga that is long out of business. I had to replace the thermocoupler, $8 and YouTube took care of that. Heat pump is pushing 25. Can’t bring myself to replace them. The heat pump leaks Freon, so that’s $150 every couple years. I just know whatever I replace them with will have to be replaced in five years. And it’s not like a new gas water heater will be more efficient than the current one.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
My gas water heater is over 30 years old, was actually made by a company here in Chattanooga that is long out of business. I had to replace the thermocoupler, $8 and YouTube took care of that. Heat pump is pushing 25. Can’t bring myself to replace them. The heat pump leaks Freon, so that’s $150 every couple years. I just know whatever I replace them with will have to be replaced in five years. And it’s not like a new gas water heater will be more efficient than the current one.
We are doing away with r22 next year. Could be expensive to change over. They are finally making hvac equipment that last 12-20 years again so you should be able to get something that is much more efficient and will save you money on your monthly fuel bill.

Yep, todays WHs are a joke. Made to last about 10 years at most.

I had a heat pump only when I first built my house 12 years ago. I replaced my entire unit with a heat pump/gas back-up. When it gets below a certain temp, the gas kicks on instead of the heat pump. I live in central Kentucky, and it gets too cold for a heat pump alone to keep up. Maybe something to look into next go around.

We are doing away with r22 next year. Could be expensive to change over. They are finally making hvac equipment that last 12-20 years again so you should be able to get something that is much more efficient and will save you money on your monthly fuel bill.

Yep, todays WHs are a joke. Made to last about 10 years at most.
I thought they did away with 22 several years ago? I know the last time I purchased some it was $700 for a jug of it. I heard the other day that they are phasing out 410 now too. It's nuts.

I had a heat pump only when I first built my house 12 years ago. I replaced my entire unit with a heat pump/gas back-up. When it gets below a certain temp, the gas kicks on instead of the heat pump. I live in central Kentucky, and it gets too cold for a heat pump alone to keep up. Maybe something to look into next go around.
The hybrid units are the best.

I got it fixed this morning. It was a bad circuit board and the tech also found a wire that was about burned in two. It was an interesting problem that the guy said he had never seen before. The bad board was allowing one of the 3 electric emergency heat element control circuits to back feed through the bad board and turn on.
It reminded me of some of the crazy crap I saw when I was working trying to troubleshoot an electrical controls problem. Bottom line another $250 out my pocket. I'll be getting quotes next week from a few vendors on replacement options.Anyone have any feedback about whether to get a higher end unit or a middle of the road unit. I'm kind of torn over getting a single stage unit or a variable stage unit just due to the repair costs when its out of warranty.

I got it fixed this morning. It was a bad circuit board and the tech also found a wire that was about burned in two. It was an interesting problem that the guy said he had never seen before. The bad board was allowing one of the 3 electric emergency heat element control circuits to back feed through the bad board and turn on.
It reminded me of some of the crazy crap I saw when I was working trying to troubleshoot an electrical controls problem. Bottom line another $250 out my pocket. I'll be getting quotes next week from a few vendors on replacement options.Anyone have any feedback about whether to get a higher end unit or a middle of the road unit. I'm kind of torn over getting a single stage unit or a variable stage unit just due to the repair costs when its out of warranty.
Same here. I am in the process of building and think I MAY go to a variable or multi speed compressor and air handler. I am also concerned about repair costs when out of warranty. The parts are warranted for 10 or 12 years, but not labor. I am also worried about the availability of parts and knowledgeable service people for the higher end units.

I may wind up with a single stage compressor and variable speed air handler. The main difference in a variable speed compressor, from my understanding, is comfort. The compressor isn't cycling on and off at full speed, so it should last longer. Variable is like a car gently accelerating up to speed, versus pedal to the metal for a single stage compressor. The longer the compressor runs (and it will run longer at a slow speed), it is able to remove more humidity and you should be more comfortable in the a/c times . You may be able to set the temp a couple of degrees higher at low humidity. It should also keep your temps more steady and less drafty in the Winter by running slowly. I think any money you save by buying a very high Seer unit, is spent up front. I am also considering a dual fuel unit like Cabvol mentioned.

As you and a few others have mentioned I would love to put one in, but with no natural gas, a fence around the back yard and a small 100 gallon LP tank for a gas fireplace, I can't make it work.
I don't have natural gas either. I went AC with a gas furnace. I have a 1000# tank in the back yard.

Reactions: CABVOL
As you and a few others have mentioned I would love to put one in, but with no natural gas, a fence around the back yard and a small 100 gallon LP tank for a gas fireplace, I can't make it work.
You could bury a tank somewhere . The trucks usually have a long hose, like Septic.

Reactions: InVOLuntary

VN Store

Back