Headlines at GatorSports.com

Wow. I almost feel bad for him - he simply never inspired the dislike/fear/respect that Spurrier did. Of course, that has everything to do with his W-L record against us the last few years. To his credit, he seemed to be a players coach - even when he got in trouble at the frat party last weekend, he was only there in attempt to bail his kids out. He simply chose the wrong way of going about it. When they lost this weekend, I assumed it would happen at the end of the year - I was a bit surprised that they announced it so quickly. Anyone taking bets on how quickly it's announced that Spurrier is back? I bet quickly - with a lame duck coach, the only thing that will save recruiting is the announcement that SOS is coming back.

Here's to you Steve - the SEC has changed just a little bit the last few years!
:finger:

From what I am reading over there they think Spurrier is a done deal. I just find that hard to believe that he would go back. I guess maybe I am wrong but I didn't even think that was an option for him.

I'm a little surprised as well - maybe after the Redskin disaster, he realized how good he had it before he left. As little as I liked him at UF, I kinda hoped he'd be a great NFL coach. Unfortunately for him, he never really had much of a chance with Daniel Snyder.

Fortunately, I think the 'Florida monkey' is off of our back for now - the last couple of years have tarnished the mystique a bit. Or at least I hope that's the case...

Let the whiny little fool come back... I'd love to see UT beat Spurrier's Florida team, and I'd love to hate the Gators as much as I used to.

He has basicly said he would listen. I may be wrong but I doubt he'll be back. There is also a rumor that Stoops is the next coach at UF and that its a done deal since he has an option to buy out his current contract in Jan. But that also I doubt.

I think Stoops has been too successful at Oklahoma. When you're in the top 3 year in and year out, why leave? Its not like they aren't paying him comfortably there. I'm thinking Urban Meyer from Utah. Or what about Fran-phoney? This is his 2nd year at A&M, isn't it time for him to move on AGAIN? :blink:

Stoops turned down Florida 3 years ago. Why would he take the offer now? It would be a step down at this point to go from Oklahoma to Florida.

Urban Meyer is stuck into a long-term contract. His contract stipulates 3 schools he can opt out for: Notre Dame, Michigan, and Ohio State. Florida would have to pay a wad of cash to buyout Meyer's contract from Utah.

Spurrier might come back. Could already be a done deal... maybe that's why the vultures have been circling Zook all year waiting for that one true moment to yell "your fired!" I say, bring Spurrier back. I think he realized when he left that Florida could no longer be as dominant as it was in the mid-90's. Fulmer finally figured out the recipe for success against Spurrier coached squads. Although the Vols did not dominate the last 4 years while Spurrier was there, it became a much closer rivalry.

1998 Tennessee 20, Florida 17 (OT) -- critical game in the Vols march to the National Championship.

1999 Florida 23, Tennessee 21 -- Vols were just a few yards shy of getting into range for a game-winning field goal.

2000 Florida 27, Tennessee 23 -- Can we say "no catch".

2001 Tennessee 34, Florida 32 -- With National Championship as well SEC Championship implications on the line, the Vols came away with a huge victory in Gainesville.

As much as I would like to see a quality coach come to Florida to strengthen the SEC I hate the thought of losing the upcoming recruiting war to Florida for every prized recruit who thinks God orchastrated the entire thing for his glory. I suppose we should want Spurrier because he has been weak in recruiting in the past. Besides the Devil you know is better than a devil you don't know. :naughty:

Just heard Jim Donnan say that the same source that told him yesterday morning that Zook was gone is saying that Florida has been in touch with Spurrier and has given him 24 hours to decide if he is interested in a comeback.

Spurrier is probably on the phone now with the Miami Dolphins and telling them they have 23 hours to make him an offer,

I wish somebody would explain to me why a 60 year old multi-millionaire with a single digit handicap would want to coach college football?

He is a competitor plain and simple. He is a ball coach and loves it. Money and golf are just fringe benefits. I welcome him back. Beating the swamp lizards under Zook was just not the same. Enjoyable, but not the same.

Spurier is a ball coach and I don't see him staying away from football long. (JoePa sure can't hang it up) Now is his chance, a perfect chance. Think about it, he left Florida to go pro, he failed, and now he can just walk right back with no negative side effects. He is god in Gainesville and he will return.

STAY AWAY FROM THE DOLPHINS STEVIE, FAR AWAY! WE ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH PROBLEMS!

Originally posted by GAVol@Oct 26, 2004 3:56 PM
I wish somebody would explain to me why a 60 year old multi-millionaire with a single digit handicap would want to coach college football?

It's in his blood.

unlike you Otis...only thing in your blood is beer! you hops junky you!

Spurrier will probably be back just to prove that florida couldn't survive without him. :ph34r:

I'm not sure he'll go back to UF. He hates to recruit..and it's a necessary evil in talent-rich Florida. He wants to play golf January thru August and then coach the Gators in the Fall.

Originally posted by ChattVol@Oct 28, 2004 3:43 PM
I'm not sure he'll go back to UF. He hates to recruit..and it's a necessary evil in talent-rich Florida. He wants to play golf January thru August and then coach the Gators in the Fall.

Welcome to VolNation. :welcome:

VN Store

Back