Head coach Josh Heupel speaks to the media (9/16/21).

Sara Clark

*He said the statuses of #Tennessee’s injured players mostly will be decided tomorrow and, in some cases, maybe Saturday morning.

* Jimmy Calloway grew as a receiver dramatically during spring ball. He’s got all the attributes we’re looking for inside. I believe he’s got a really bright future playing here.

* Princeton Fant and Jacob Warren have put a lot of work into it and played pretty well the first couple weeks. There are things they can get better at.

* Penalties and turnovers are both things we need to get better at going into conference play. You can’t lose the turnover battle every week.

* Our team knows my expectations that we win the special-teams phase every single week. When we break from walk-through, the first thing we do is special-teams fundamentals.

* I really liked what Velus Jones did throughout spring ball and the summer. He got nicked up in camp, and he’s gotten back into the fold. You see his impact offensively and on special teams, as well.

Well, that was short. :)

Last edited:
Anything on the QBs?
Nothing.
I guess his first comment "injured players mostly will be decided tomorrow and, in some cases, maybe Saturday morning." addresses the QB?! We'll have to wait a little longer to find out....GBO!!!

Nothing.
I guess his first comment "injured players mostly will be decided tomorrow and, in some cases, maybe Saturday morning." addresses the QB?! We'll have to wait a little longer to find out....GBO!!!
QB will be decided Saturday morning, we would not want to give Tn Tech the opportunity to know who our starting QB is.

If Milton starts couldn't the other team just take their safeties out?

Well, if I was a DC and saw Milton trot out there, I would be playing a zone defense with my safeties a few yards back of the LBs. Make the short throws and running game impossible. He would have to prove he could hit the deep ball before I would consider backing my safeties up.

Well, if I was a DC and saw Milton trot out there, I would be playing a zone defense with my safeties a few yards back of the LBs. Make the short throws and running game impossible. He would have to prove he could hit the deep ball before I would consider backing my safeties up.
Guarantee to see that in sec play

If Joe Milton could gain any semblance of touch on his long throws…this offense would be absolutely dangerous. We have the speed to run by opposing DBs. One could only hope.

Reactions: Pacer92
If Joe Milton could gain any semblance of touch on his long throws…this offense would be absolutely dangerous. We have the speed to run by opposing DBs. One could only hope.

Agree. We have the ability to gas defenses really quick with an efficient QB. We have to be complimentary though, and until someone steps up and can deliver throws....teams will crowd the LOS and make up one dimensional.

*He said the statuses of #Tennessee’s injured players mostly will be decided tomorrow and, in some cases, maybe Saturday morning.

* Jimmy Calloway grew as a receiver dramatically during spring ball. He’s got all the attributes we’re looking for inside. I believe he’s got a really bright future playing here.

* Princeton Fant and Jacob Warren have put a lot of work into it and played pretty well the first couple weeks. There are things they can get better at.

* Penalties and turnovers are both things we need to get better at going into conference play. You can’t lose the turnover battle every week.

* Our team knows my expectations that we win the special-teams phase every single week. When we break from walk-through, the first thing we do is special-teams fundamentals.

* I really liked what Velus Jones did throughout spring ball and the summer. He got nicked up in camp, and he’s gotten back into the fold. You see his impact offensively and on special teams, as well.

Well, that was short. :)

He continues to avoid questions about the QB position!!

Reactions: Sara Clark

That's what I'm doing. Choke off the short throws, play straight up on the LOS. The OL isn't dominating anyone so the rushing game doesn't scare me much as yet. Make Milton beat you long. It's a low percentage pass to begin with, made worse in that the QB can't even throw a 50-50 ball up there.

a lot of people said the offense played slower with Hooker in. I just watched the game. Hooker got the ball out a lot faster and made some good throws,, I know he had the fumble but ,,I am not seeing how the offense played slower.. but maybe im not paying enough attention

Reactions: igotworms
just maybe milton his our best chance because he over throws everyone and no chance of an interception?

just maybe milton his our best chance because he over throws everyone and no chance of an interception?

He threw an interception in the end zone in game 1. Then the receiver made the play to bail him out. Against a good team though, that was a turnover.

American_PitVol said:

I think its going to take way more than speed in the SEC. Most of the SEC trams have superior DB's. Its going to take a combination of play action and running. The receivers may be able to outrun DB's but the QB has also got to be able to make the easy open field throws that I have yet to see. I am hoping but we will see. This weekend should be an opportunity for some practice. I hope they get this QB situation under control and build a little consistency before we go into the rough part of our schedule.

"You can’t lose the turnover battle every week. "

Hey folks, is it just me or did that sentence go two words too long?

Maybe, but if you think about last week's game, the turnover battle didn't lose that game for us - the overthrown passes and mindless penalties did. We could have lost the turnover battle and still won that game, so I guess there's some truth to that.

Reactions: sjt18

VN Store

Back