Have your feelings changed?

I'm very pleased with everything I've seen so far. Problems in the first couple of games (defensive lapses, turnovers) have been noticed and addressed. Team is starting to gel. Team intensity, which has been sadly lacking since 2008, has improved, and while we've had a few mediocre stretches they've been limited, and we haven't had the major meltdowns due to lack of focus against cupcakes like we've had in the past few seasons. Individuals seem to be working on the things they need to do. I feel a lot depends on Massengill's continuing improvement. Horston is doing an amazing job for a freshman but she's better suited to the SG particularly with Green out, and we need Massengill to be a steady PG as well as contribute some points.

I like KJH. She's very likable. She's obviously pretty (not that it matters...just sayin')..and has a nice demeanor. I think she'll be tough enough with the team. I notice her former team Missouri State is doing really well. Beat Oklahoma...and only lost by 11 to 7th ranked Oregon State I believe. If those are Kellie's recruits doing that then it's a good sign. Not sure. I would guess those ladies aren't all freshmen.

Yes, she is a pretty lady. Right after she got down hired, I saw her while shopping at a local Kroger. Didn't realize it was her until about 30 minutes after I left. But she is one of those classy ladies you can walk past in a public place, and the day just all of a sudden seems better. And it is really cool that she is also our coach.

Coach Harper is exactly what this program needed. About three games back the LV had 27 turnovers. The next game it was down to 19 and in the last game is was down to 13. Obviously, Coach Harper addressed this issue quickly. That issue was never addressed under Warlick. The loss of the player to UConn will turnout to be a real blessing to this team as "Geno the Mouth" will have to live with her personal problems and the chemistry with the rest of the UConn players.
Probably a blessing in disguise. One bad apple
can ruin a bunch.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Honestly the past couple of years we have looked good through December, and then when the SEC started we were like a different team. Would love to check our record through December the past 2-3 years. Seems like we were undefeated in one of them!
Hopefully this year we won’t hit our peak so early!
Powder puff teams can get us ready for
SEC games as long as our deficiencies have
been addressed

Reactions: mlindsay
No worries... nobody’s looking for definitive statements five games into a season. That would be ridiculous. It’s just fun to be able to say that despite the obvious need to improve all aspects of the game if they’re going to make some noise in the post-season, we can all be satisfied that it’s equally obvious that the team is taking small, incremental steps forward all the time.

I am personally thrilled to be able to say that I am 100 percent certain that we won’t see any individual players, or the team in general, regressing in potential. That’s everything I’d hoped for, and it’s happening.

Definitive statements? I agree. But at this point, 5 games is enough to see early signs of development. I believe what has your confidence up is basic elements like flow, a sense of trust between the players and confidence that is evident. They are starting to play the way Pat would have expected them to. Almost like somebody found a missing ingredient to a well loved recipe for home made soup. And it is starting to taste the way we remembered it. Or like somebody found the lyrics to a verse of the song we had tried to ad lib, and we are singing it the way it was meant to be sung. Maybe I am getting carried away with comparisons, but these girls are starting to look like the Lady Vols. And it feels great.

I know its early and alot will change. We beat Stetson by 27. KY only 19 and KY is ranked top 15. I would love to hear Stetsons coach take on the 2 teams

Stetson is a wanna be, never been there. Why pick at them?

I saw that too. But I was like, "Oh, yes!" I only worry about them getting hurt when the trainers come out. Not before.

Definitive statements? I agree. But at this point, 5 games is enough to see early signs of development. I believe what has your confidence up is basic elements like flow, a sense of trust between the players and confidence that is evident. They are starting to play the way Pat would have expected them to. Almost like somebody found a missing ingredient to a well loved recipe for home made soup. And it is starting to taste the way we remembered it. Or like somebody found the lyrics to a verse of the song we had tried to ad lib, and we are singing it the way it was meant to be sung. Maybe I am getting carried away with comparisons, but these girls are starting to look like the Lady Vols. And it feels great.

Be careful we have seen this train wreck before. And after 5 cupcakes and no Zaay i would put it in reverse and take a wait and see approach you think ?

Be careful we have seen this train wreck before. And after 5 cupcakes and no Zaay i would put it in reverse and take a wait and see approach you think ?
I read this in a blog granted a UConn slanted blog. No, it was not from the Boneyard.

From Volnation - "post depth will still cause tons of problems for other teams. They have a real opportunity to wear down team's inside game and stomp all over the smaller teams"

Post depth? Well in this game, here is how their depth in the post did.....

6'4" Kishkituah - 11 points, 6 rebounds
6'5" Key - 2 points, 0 rebounds
6'3" Harris - 0 points, 1 rebound
6'5" Saunders - 1 points, 2 rebounds

You can talk about how many bigs you have in the post. But if they are not good, how does that help, let alone dominate?

I read this in a blog granted a UConn slanted blog. No, it was not from the Boneyard.

From Volnation - "post depth will still cause tons of problems for other teams. They have a real opportunity to wear down team's inside game and stomp all over the smaller teams"

Post depth? Well in this game, here is how their depth in the post did.....

6'4" Kishkituah - 11 points, 6 rebounds
6'5" Key - 2 points, 0 rebounds
6'3" Harris - 0 points, 1 rebound
6'5" Saunders - 1 points, 2 rebounds

You can talk about how many bigs you have in the post. But if they are not good, how does that help, let alone dominate?
I love the idea of you all sitting around reading our board hoping and praying this team is unsuccessful. Get a life.

Before Coach Kellie’s name was out as a person of interest in the TN coaching search, someone on Volnation mentioned her name, so I read all about her, starting in her early playing days. I learned she is smart, in the classroom as well as on the basketball court, determined, working to come back early from an ACL injury, a winner, point guard on 3 National Championship teams, successful as a Head Coach, taking teams from 3 different schools to the NCAA Tournament, (something few have ever done), a high achiever who does things the right way, and that is the way she Coaches.

I was sold on her then, but now I am even more impressed, not just from the improvement I see from the team, and her excellent interviews with the media, but because she began by making changes in the mindsets of her new players. She has shown she is a teacher of, not only Championship goals, such as replacing the individual banners that used to be hung where they practice, with our National Championship banners, but also, how the players can be supportive of their fellow teammates.

She had prepared the team for adversity, before they lost Zaay to injury, so they came out focused, in a hostile environment, and beat a team hardly anyone predicted they would. She has helped her team regain their confidence and enjoy playing the game.

My feelings have changed since Kellie was hired, I am even more impressed.

Before Coach Kellie’s name was out as a person of interest in the TN coaching search, someone on Volnation mentioned her name, so I read all about her, starting in her early playing days. I learned she is smart, in the classroom as well as on the basketball court, determined, working to come back early from an ACL injury, a winner, point guard on 3 National Championship teams, successful as a Head Coach, taking teams from 3 different schools to the NCAA Tournament, (something few have ever done), a high achiever who does things the right way, and that is the way she Coaches.

I was sold on her then, but now I am even more impressed, not just from the improvement I see from the team, and her excellent interviews with the media, but because she began by making changes in the mindsets of her new players. She has shown she is a teacher of, not only Championship goals, such as replacing the individual banners that used to be hung where they practice, with our National Championship banners, but also, how the players can be supportive of their fellow teammates.

She had prepared the team for adversity, before they lost Zaay to injury, so they came out focused, in a hostile environment, and beat a team hardly anyone predicted they would. She has helped her team regain their confidence and enjoy playing the game.

Good post.

It's obvious that Kellie is intellectually curious, which, combined with her natural competitiveness, makes her exactly what the Lady Vols need right now. Not all coaches like learning and teaching. Kellie does, and the Lady Vol players are extremely fortunate to have her as their competent leader.

This is a very good post. Didn’t KJH also play on a blown out ankle at some point? She must be tough as nails!

This is a very good post. Didn’t KJH also play on a blown out ankle at some point? She must be tough as nails!
Thank you to you and Ivocd. I do not know about the ankle, but I do believe she’s “tough as nails.”

I also believe Kellie sets the highest of goals, and leaves no stone unturned to achieve those goals. She will do everything in her power to help her players be the best they can be.

Reactions: lvocd and T_Vol376
I love the idea of you all sitting around reading our board hoping and praying this team is unsuccessful. Get a life.
I have one. Not praying for any team to be unsuccessful.

My apologies for posting this. Probably not a good idea.

yes, just at NCAAT time. She stayed in the training room all night for therapy with Jenny. Came back and played. Someone may have more details for you.
Yes, I remember that from the Cinderella Season tape. Kellie commented to Holdsclaw that the twisted ankle hurt more than the ACL injury. Kellies boyfriend was with her in the training room and Misty Greene was teasing them about being such a cute couple.

Not at all , not getting ahead of myself KJH has had a better than average start and im glad about it , but ill revisit this conversation come February

I know it is early and to many we haven’t played anyone, but I was wondering has your feelings changed about what this team can be this year and how Kellie will do as coach of this program.

List your Pros and Cons!

Feelings haven't changed much. If you genuinely believe that a program with brand recognition and roster talent failed first and foremost because of really questionable coaching, then it's rational to think that even a competent coach can step in and improve the product. I believed KJH was competent at a minimum -- could be a lot more but no way to know yet. But at least competent? Yes. And, hell, I believed any competent coach could step into Tennessee and win games. That's not a slight to the coaches, that's just -- Tennessee isn't as dominant as used to be but it's got more positives than almost any other program out there. And it's not a school in a weak or archaic territory (like an ODU or a Louisiana Tech, who fell off once their legendary coaches checked out and the Power 5 took over), so it's not like Tennessee will just fade away. Tennessee is the SEC, and the SEC is big time sports. It just needed help before too many years passed. So far so good on that one.

That said, the win at Notre Dame moved the needle a little higher though. Now, Notre Dame was not the usual Notre Dame, so, grain of salt. Still, you win on Notre Dame's court, the needle moves up. Jury's still out though. Good coaches can create improvement throughout the season. Great coaches can maximize that improvement. Tennessee is big, a bit on the slow side as a result. How will Kellie improve their chances over the course of the year? What will she do to address the team's needs this next recruiting cycle, and beyond? I wonder.

At some point she has to crank up the recruiting engine. The selection of talent in the sport is better than it used to be, but still small enough that you have a handful of great players out there. Tennessee has to get some of those to really return to prominence. I am hopeful she will win a battle for a Moore/Griner/Parker kind of game changer, and that she can assemble some big time classes around those big time players. If she does that, the needle will shoot up a _whole_ lot higher. We'll see.

Feelings haven't changed much. If you genuinely believe that a program with brand recognition and roster talent failed first and foremost because of really questionable coaching, then it's rational to think that even a competent coach can step in and improve the product. I believed KJH was competent at a minimum -- could be a lot more but no way to know yet. But at least competent? Yes. And, hell, I believed any competent coach could step into Tennessee and win games. That's not a slight to the coaches, that's just -- Tennessee isn't as dominant as used to be but it's got more positives than almost any other program out there. And it's not a school in a weak or archaic territory (like an ODU or a Louisiana Tech, who fell off once their legendary coaches checked out and the Power 5 took over), so it's not like Tennessee will just fade away. Tennessee is the SEC, and the SEC is big time sports. It just needed help before too many years passed. So far so good on that one.

That said, the win at Notre Dame moved the needle a little higher though. Now, Notre Dame was not the usual Notre Dame, so, grain of salt. Still, you win on Notre Dame's court, the needle moves up. Jury's still out though. Good coaches can create improvement throughout the season. Great coaches can maximize that improvement. Tennessee is big, a bit on the slow side as a result. How will Kellie improve their chances over the course of the year? What will she do to address the team's needs this next recruiting cycle, and beyond? I wonder.

At some point she has to crank up the recruiting engine. The selection of talent in the sport is better than it used to be, but still small enough that you have a handful of great players out there. Tennessee has to get some of those to really return to prominence. I am hopeful she will win a battle for a Moore/Griner/Parker kind of game changer, and that she can assemble some big time classes around those big time players. If she does that, the needle will shoot up a _whole_ lot higher. We'll see.

You said it all. And to note last year we had no low post player other then C, Green, Also she was undersize but she gave Tenn all she had every game. To me if we did not have Key i `m not sure we win the EST and ND game. Her shot blocking and rebounding and scoring was needed. Don`t get me wrong she still has a lot to learn on both ends of the court. As for recruiting your 100% correct Kellie has to crank up the recruiting engine. The class of 2021 has a lot of talent and deep. UConn, Stanford, Iowa, Oregon have already cranked up the recruiting engine for 2021.

I see a team playing with more confidence,and making quite a few more shots.I don't expect a conference title,but will compete every time they step out!!

Reactions: mlindsay
I think I will get on board when the turnovers become less Hollyesque

My feelings have changed for the better to be sure, though I am still concerned about turnovers.

Wins matter though and KJH has produced so far. Can't argue with that. Especially considering the injury to Zay.

Will keep an eye on player progression and recruiting as those are two areas where we still don't know a lot about.

VN Store

Back